Canning Jars

TPD

the poor dad
I have heard that finding canning jars have been a hit or miss this year. We do have plenty in stock. Lids have also been a problem. At the moment, we do have some jar lids left. Much cooler for canning those paw paws.

rio

I have heard that finding canning jars have been a hit or miss this year. We do have plenty in stock. Lids have also been a problem. At the moment, we do have some jar lids left. Much cooler for canning those paw paws.
Funny you should bring this up right now. I'm canning today and was checking my stock. I managed to find a lot of regular mouth lids in NC last week (which is what I use most), but wide mouth lids are nowhere to be found. I ws actually going to call your store to see if you have wide mouth lids.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Patina Lady wants to know if you are open today?

TPD

the poor dad
Funny you should bring this up right now. I'm canning today and was checking my stock. I managed to find a lot of regular mouth lids in NC last week (which is what I use most), but wide mouth lids are nowhere to be found. I ws actually going to call your store to see if you have wide mouth lids.
Call and reserve before going down. Lids are in tight supply. Open till 3 today. 8-3 tomorrow

Reactions: rio

stgislander

PREMO Member
Call and reserve before going down. Lids are in tight supply. Open till 3 today. 8-3 tomorrow
Unfortunately won't be able to make it till Tues, but will call first! Thanks!
Sorry @rio. My wife bought the last four boxes of just wide mouth lids. No regular lids in the store that we found. There are about 4-6 boxes of wide mouth lids and rings still at the store.

Then we hit up Trosbach's for some peaches and canning tomatoes.

Reactions: TPD

CRHS89

I was looking for lids today too. Struck out in 3 places. I didn't realize they were hard to come by. Seems it is the strangest things that are in short supply.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My usual places to get them are Ace hardware, Tractor supply and Walmart. Big lots had some off brand ones.

TPD

the poor dad
I will ask my daughter tomorrow what is left as far as lids go. She likes to hide products in short supply for our "special" customers....
Still plenty of jars in stock. She stocked up with 2 or 3 pallets of jars in the spring.

rio

My usual places to get them are Ace hardware, Tractor supply and Walmart. Big lots had some off brand ones.
Checked all of those, even for ordering online and struck out. Well, not Big Lots, didn't think of them. I don't mind some off brands, Golden Harvest (? something like that) has been as good as Ball to me.

rio

Sorry @rio. My wife bought the last four boxes of just wide mouth lids. No regular lids in the store that we found. There are about 4-6 boxes of wide mouth lids and rings still at the store.

Then we hit up Trosbach's for some peaches and canning tomatoes.
Hmph! 😁

Oh well, I got a good supply of regular so will leave my wide mouth jars as back up if I run out of regular jars. I do have about 3 boxes of them. Mostly just have more peaches I want to get done and some mixed berry jam so should have enough to get thru the season. Most of what I do later in the year is ground beef or chicken when I find a good sale and don't want to put it all in the freezer, so can live without it.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Hmph! 😁

Oh well, I got a good supply of regular so will leave my wide mouth jars as back up if I run out of regular jars. I do have about 3 boxes of them. Mostly just have more peaches I want to get done and some mixed berry jam so should have enough to get thru the season. Most of what I do later in the year is ground beef or chicken when I find a good sale and don't want to put it all in the freezer, so can live without it.
My wife asked me (I don't know why) if she should can or we just eat the peaches. I said why go to the bother of canning them. Why not just freeze them. They may not look as pretty as canned peaches, but for what we do with them is doesn't matter. That's if we don't eat them first.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I will ask my daughter tomorrow what is left as far as lids go. She likes to hide products in short supply for our "special" customers....
Still plenty of jars in stock. She stocked up with 2 or 3 pallets of jars in the spring.
The red headed sales girl (or sales woman) told us that she told you to tell all of your internet people that they had jars and lids.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The red headed sales girl (or sales woman) told us that she told you to tell all of your internet people that they had jars and lids.
I see a massive traffic jam in ridge tomorrow morning.... Just leave me enough room to get my truck in the back lot, I need pellets.

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

rio

My wife asked me (I don't know why) if she should can or we just eat the peaches. I said why go to the bother of canning them. Why not just freeze them. They may not look as pretty as canned peaches, but for what we do with them is doesn't matter. That's if we don't eat them first.
I don't mind them frozen for some things but my husband likes the pints to take to work for lunch. I usually do spiced peaches too.

So, ummm, is she gonna return the lids tomorrow???