Canning Jars

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yeah, I really haven't paid it much mind since I gave away my canner.

And oh btw.... payment is coming due for that. Tomatoes and peaches will be fine.
You know she wanted the pressure canner, but she's afraid of it. I have to be there when she uses it. It's not like she's new to canning. She grew up doing it. :lol:

rio

You'd have to try REALLY REALLY hard to have an issue.
My grandma had an old pressure canner years ago that didn't seal any more and she had lost the weight so she just used it as a regular cook pot. One day she was cooking beans and somehow the lid sealed and the steam vent was clogged. The beans had been cooking for hours when grandma heard the ex(im?)plosion. It had such force that it pushed the stove thru the floor and the lid was stuck in the ceiling. The beans were like shards of glass all over the place. Lucky grandma was in another room!

Anyway, pressure canning doesn't scare me, bur I'm sure as hell never gonna use the pot with the lid to regular cook in!

Grumpy

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Checked all of those, even for ordering online and struck out. Well, not Big Lots, didn't think of them. I don't mind some off brands, Golden Harvest (? something like that) has been as good as Ball to me.
You might try asking the Amish, they may have a stockpile

Reactions: rio

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I was down at Ridge Hardware, so while I was there I headed down to Trosbach's for some 'maters. Looks like they did a final pick of the tomato field, nothing was ripe, needed at least a few more days. Got a few anyway. On a whim, I got some corn, grilled them tonight. Best corn I've had in a long time. Small kernel white, sweet, very tender, very tasty.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I was down at Ridge Hardware, so while I was there I headed down to Trosbach's for some 'maters. Looks like they did a final pick of the tomato field, nothing was ripe, needed at least a few more days. Got a few anyway. On a whim, I got some corn, grilled them tonight. Best corn I've had in a long time. Small kernel white, sweet, very tender, very tasty.
Well you could always slice some of those 'maters up and fry them.

I agree about the corn. Have some of their corn last night. Delicious. I'm grilling some tonight.

TPD

the poor dad
Well you could always slice some of those 'maters up and fry them. View attachment 159183

I agree about the corn. Have some of their corn last night. Delicious. I'm grilling some tonight.
Their corn has been delicious all summer - no need to add sugar to the water when steaming.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
no need to add sugar to the water when steaming.
I just throw the corn on the grill, husk and all. Char the husk, corn is perfect with just a little browning, which is the sugar caramelizing. Some butter and salt.....

Reactions: TPD

rio

I just throw the corn on the grill, husk and all. Char the husk, corn is perfect with just a little browning, which is the sugar caramelizing. Some butter and salt.....
I do the same, minus the salt. Sometimes I'll use pepper or Old Bay.

rio

SCORE!!!!!
McKay's in Leonardtown had wide and regular lids when I was there an hour ago. Got 6 boxes of wide and went ahead and got 6 more of regular.

I was nice and left some for others....

CRHS89

SCORE!!!!!
McKay's in Leonardtown had wide and regular lids when I was there an hour ago. Got 6 boxes of wide and went ahead and got 6 more of regular.

I was nice and left some for others....
I went there Sunday and they were out. I ended up ordering some and they are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.