Canvasbacks

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have not seen any Canvasbacks yet this year on the bay.
Anyone seen any, duck hunters or bird watchers?

Last edited:

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Bird Dog said:
I have not seen any Canvasbacks yet this year on the bay.
Anyone seen any, duck hunters or bird watchers?

We killed 4 Saturday on the Wicomico. There were two bunches flying around with about 250 birds in each one. From what I've heard, you can almost walk across the rafts of them and blackheads in front of Drift Inn. :yay:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
We have seen canvasbacks in large flocks on the Potomac but have yet to bag any. So far it's been a dipper/whistler/blackhead fest out there. I'm hoping this cold snap we got this week will push a few more quality ducks down our way. They used to bait the cans in at the Evan's seafood pier years ago, but I don't know if they bother anymore.

On another note, we had a flock of about 200 snow geese buzz our heads last week. Never in my life have I seen that many together on this side of the bay. Maybe a sign of good things to come.:yay:

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Wickedwrench said:
We have seen canvasbacks in large flocks on the Potomac but have yet to bag any. So far it's been a dipper/whistler/blackhead fest out there. I'm hoping this cold snap we got this week will push a few more quality ducks down our way. They used to bait the cans in at the Evan's seafood pier years ago, but I don't know if they bother anymore.

On another note, we had a flock of about 200 snow geese buzz our heads last week. Never in my life have I seen that many together on this side of the bay. Maybe a sign of good things to come.:yay:

Where in the Potomac are you seeing the blackheads and whistlers?? I've seen nothing but dippers, scoters, ruddys, and cormorants. I haven't been in the Potomac for 2 weeks. Have they just come in??

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
gumby said:
Where in the Potomac are you seeing the blackheads and whistlers?? I've seen nothing but dippers, scoters, ruddys, and cormorants. I haven't been in the Potomac for 2 weeks. Have they just come in??

On the Virginia side around Cole's Point.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Wickedwrench said:
At this rate the good ducks aren't going to have to come this far south this year.:ohwell:

I think the weather has been to nice and they are staying up in the Northern part of the Bay.