Caps Fans

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually, it's Bruce's fault for not listening to me and playing Theo in game 4.
:drama:

I have no problem with the short leash and putting Varly in so early however, burying Theo on the bench after the way he played coming into the playoffs was, in my view a mistake.

You play him in game 4 it's either 3-1 Caps and you've got two goalies playing well or it's 2-2 and Theo played himself out in two, not one, games.
And if it is 2-2, the sense of urgency is right there, right now.

The Caps played well enough to win but, Montreal was just a little better.

OldHillcrestGuy

Actually, it's Bruce's fault for not listening to me and playing Theo in game 4.

I have no problem with the short leash and putting Varly in so early however, burying Theo on the bench after the way he played coming into the playoffs was, in my view a mistake.

You play him in game 4 it's either 3-1 Caps and you've got two goalies playing well or it's 2-2 and Theo played himself out in two, not one, games.

I agree, should have let Theo back in there somewhere during the playoffs. He had a steller season, espeically what he did between January and the end of the year, its kind of a shame what has happened to him the last 2 seasons in the playoffs. Im sure he will be gone next year as its proably time for Nervirth to come up and stay up with Varly the starter.

Peter Forsberg

I blame lack of scoring. 1 for 31 on powerplay just don't cut it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I blame lack of scoring. 1 for 31 on powerplay just don't cut it.

Here's my thought: I have argued Ovie is the better of he and Crosby because Ovechkin is so much more physical. Well, the Caps, teams, tend to take on the persona of their star and the Caps are Ovie; lotta one on one, explosive, beat your man stuff.

The Penn's can, I think, be said to be a better team moving the puck, making the extra pass and getting 'easy' goals by beating tough D and tough goaltending by making one more pass. Certainly, that is Crosby. He gets in position and he's passing to people in position and he's taking shots when guys are in position for possible rebounds. The team does that as a matter of course.

The Habs took away Washington's physical dominance by selling out to stop the initial rush and the Caps didn't seem to have the patience or comfort with making one more pass or moving to the right spot at the right time. They needed finesse to overcome solid defense and fantastic goaltending.

The Caps power play looked like even strength. There was just never anyone free for a one timer cross ice (and Montral did close the passing lanes awfully well, which is where patience comes in) and the Caps shots relied soley on screens. There was always a free puck but no one there to jam it in.

Just my impression.

:buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict

If Theo had been in this series would have ended @ game 6 with Montreal taking it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If Theo had been in this series would have ended @ game 6 with Montreal taking it.

I didn't say keep him in! If he plays bad, it's 2-2, sense of purpose, back to Varly, ace in the hole. As it was, Bruce played all his cards right away.

And it didn't work. :shrug:

Peter Forsberg

Here's my thought: I have argued Ovie is the better of he and Crosby because Ovechkin is so much more physical. Well, the Caps, teams, tend to take on the persona of their star and the Caps are Ovie; lotta one on one, explosive, beat your man stuff.

The Penn's can, I think, be said to be a better team moving the puck, making the extra pass and getting 'easy' goals by beating tough D and tough goaltending by making one more pass. Certainly, that is Crosby. He gets in position and he's passing to people in position and he's taking shots when guys are in position for possible rebounds. The team does that as a matter of course.

The Habs took away Washington's physical dominance by selling out to stop the initial rush and the Caps didn't seem to have the patience or comfort with making one more pass or moving to the right spot at the right time. They needed finesse to overcome solid defense and fantastic goaltending.

The Caps power play looked like even strength. There was just never anyone free for a one timer cross ice (and Montral did close the passing lanes awfully well, which is where patience comes in) and the Caps shots relied soley on screens. There was always a free puck but no one there to jam it in.

Just my impression.

:buddies:
Who is responsible for seeing what is wrong and making those adjustments? Bruce???? Nobody wants to point the finger at good ole Bruce. The powerplay sucked because everybody knows that the puck is going to Ovie!!!