Car Crashes Into House, Killing Sleeping Couple

rack'm

Jaded
POSTED: 2:37 pm EST March 6, 2006

MISSOURI CITY, Texas -- Police in Texas said a couple died in their bed when a car crashed into their house early Monday morning.

Missouri City Police Department Capt. Sal Salinas told KPRC-TV in Houston that the speeding car crashed into the bedroom of the couple's home at about 4 a.m.

Authorities in suburban Houston said a car went out of control, and slammed through a fence and into the home's master bedroom in the pre-dawn hours.

"When I saw them, something told me that they were gone," said Javier Castorena, the victims' son. "Their bed was no longer there. It was between both houses, on the other side of the brick wall."

Emergency workers pronounced the couple dead at the scene. Police identified the dead as Jose Castorena, 61, and his wife Zenaida Castorena, 64. Their son, Javier Castorena, 36, his 16-year-old daughter, Rebecca, and 6-year-old son, Steven, were also in the home asleep. None of them was injured.

"They were always good to us in every way," Rebecca Castorena said.

Raymond Castorena, the victims' other son who was not inside the home when the crash happened, said the family holds no grudges.

"We all try to follow (our parents') example in learning to forgive others," Raymond Castorena said.

Police said Manuel Chicas, the car's 24-year-old driver, attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended. They believe he was intoxicated when he sped down the street and lost control of the white Ford Mustang he was driving, causing it to slam into the couple's home.

Chicas, who lives about six homes away from the victims' home, faces two intoxication manslaughter charges.

"I really apologize for the situation. I'm really sorry," said Chicas' sister, Lucy Ferrufino.

The Castorenas said that their parents were planning on retiring this year on their birthdays.

The crash remains under investigation.

Linkage