Car Insurance

SamSpade

You know, I've never made any effort to change my car insurance premium coverage on any vehicle I've ever owned. but part of it is - I honest to God just don't know what it does, except cover sht when it gets into an accident or gets damaged. And some of it, USAA is awesome in service and costs, so I don't fuss much.

BUT - I have two cars, both are long since paid off, and my wife is about to buy a brand new car - cash - so it will be paid off the moment it goes out the door.

Car 1 is about ten years old, nothing to write home about, and - honestly - it's the reason my wife wants a new car. MINIMAL insurance is probably ok with it, because I am not sure we would bother to replace it AT ALL should it be destroyed in an accident.

Car 2 is my car, probably has at least half its original value and I don't put a lot of miles on it. It's really in good condition.

Car 3 is the brand new car, and it's going to be - well possibly the most expensive car we've ever had.

Ideas? What should I drop, lower and so on?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

You know, I've never made any effort to change my car insurance premium coverage on any vehicle I've ever owned. but part of it is - I honest to God just don't know what it does, except cover sht when it gets into an accident or gets damaged. And some of it, USAA is awesome in service and costs, so I don't fuss much.

BUT - I have two cars, both are long since paid off, and my wife is about to buy a brand new car - cash - so it will be paid off the moment it goes out the door.

Car 1 is about ten years old, nothing to write home about, and - honestly - it's the reason my wife wants a new car. MINIMAL insurance is probably ok with it, because I am not sure we would bother to replace it AT ALL should it be destroyed in an accident.

Car 2 is my car, probably has at least half its original value and I don't put a lot of miles on it. It's really in good condition.

Car 3 is the brand new car, and it's going to be - well possibly the most expensive car we've ever had.

Ideas? What should I drop, lower and so on?

Drop to liability only on the older cars. Full coverage on the new one, only if it is six years old or newer. After six years and older, it is usually not worth having full coverage, comprehensive and collision. Because of the cost to repair vs the market value of the car.