Car question

SailorGirl

I probably should put this in "The Ride" section but seeing as my "ride" is more like point a to point b - this seems more appropriate. I'm getting a squealing type noise when I make a hard left pretty much always and sometimes the same noise when I make a hard right. Is that possibly a belt noise?

Nothing serious. Your wheels are going to fall off. No biggie.

Seriously, might just be the power steering belt is loose or needs replacing.

nutz

I probably should put this in "The Ride" section but seeing as my "ride" is more like point a to point b - this seems more appropriate. I'm getting a squealing type noise when I make a hard left pretty much always and sometimes the same noise when I make a hard right. Is that possibly a belt noise?
Is the car moving or standing still ?

SailorGirl

Nothing serious. Your wheels are going to fall off. No biggie.

Seriously, might just be the power steering belt is loose or needs replacing.
I actually had a wheel fall off a Toyota once. Seriously I was in front of the real estate place on route 5 about 30 miles from home and the car was making noises like a garbage can rattling around, then all of a sudden the car shifted to its side. Had a helluva time getting it on the tow truck. I threw a rod or something - don't recall anymore. Still scares me that I'm going to do that again.

Anyway - I had ALL the belts replaced about a year and a half ago and haven't had that much mileage since then. How do belts get loose - can that be weather related like tires get weather related?

nutz

Try it standing still, then I
may vote for power steering. Otherwise, brakes or cv joint is what I’m thinking.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It doesn't make a squealing noise, though, from what I read in that link.

It's been a while since I had a problem with a CV joint on one of my cars, though.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It could also be brake related. It's pretty hard to diagnose a car problem second hand. If it worries you, take it to Cheseldine's. The sooner, the better.

SailorGirl

It could also be brake related. It's pretty hard to diagnose a car problem second hand. If it worries you, take it to Cheseldine's. The sooner, the better.
I'm thinking it's just a belt of some sort and needs tightening - that's what they came up with when this happened last time. I just don't understand what makes the belt come loose.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
With a squeal noticeable when turning, I would generally start looking at the PS belt. The PS pump doesn't usually run off of the serpentine belt, but rather a designated V-belt.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm thinking it's just a belt of some sort and needs tightening - that's what they came up with when this happened last time. I just don't understand what makes the belt come loose.
Regular wear. The belt gets "shiney" or brittle from heat and use.

The shop liked you so much they didn't tighten it properly, just so you'd have to come back and see them.