Car Trips With Kids

Elle

Happy Camper!
Anyone got any good tips for traveling long distances by car with kids?

Here’s what I’ve got so far: make frequent stops, pack your own snacks & drinks, try to travel at night, Color Wonder markers & pads (no mess)

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
tys_mommy said:
Anyone got any good tips for traveling long distances by car with kids?

Here’s what I’ve got so far: make frequent stops, pack your own snacks & drinks, try to travel at night, Color Wonder markers & pads (no mess)

:yeahthat:
If you pass a Cracker Barrell, stop in there, they have a auto bingo game, my daughter loved it. It comes with 2 playing cards & has pics of gas pumps, yield signs etc....

Kain99 said:
Benadryl! :lol:

:yikes:

Actually ... Jacob did very well on his 8 hour trip to NC. We stopped a lot and let him run around. He's 2, so the dvd player did very well and the markers too .. not old enough for real "games" yet.

The airplane trip to FL was awesome! He slept most of the way down w/o the use of any drug. I called my dr to see if we could give him benadryl and she thought I was crazy!!!

The trip back from FL wasn't too bad. I think hubby and I were more frazzled 'cause we were late which led him to be a bit more fussy!!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Game-Boy....I know you've only got one kid tys, but for anyone that has more than that, make sure each kid has their own. Also, we used to play a license plate game where we'd try to find all the states. It kept us looking out the window instead of aggrevating each other.

Toxick

Splat
RoseRed said:
Portable TV with DVD or VCR. Plenty of movies.

Best money I ever spent was a portable tv with a DVD in it, and an accompanying Spongebob Squarepants DVD.

I am not exaggerating.... BEST money I ever spent.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Toxick said:

Best money I ever spent was a portable tv with a DVD in it, and an accompanying Spongebob Squarepants DVD.

I am not exaggerating.... BEST money I ever spent.
How did your first day go?

Toxick

Splat
RoseRed said:
How did your first day go?

Still having it.
It's still only 4:30 here.

So far, so good though. I think I'm going to enjoy workign here.

No, I know I am.

I should have done this years ago.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
Still having it.

No, I know I am.

Good for you! Glad you like it. :biggrin:

Ponytail

Toxick said:
Still having it.

No, I know I am.

I have friends and Family in teh Mesa area, and actually a buddy of mine worked for Bombardier for about a year, before the heat got to him.

I hope that it works out for ya! I enjoyed it when I was there. I was in Mesa for 2 weeks in August about 4 years ago. It was hot, but you're right...there's a HUGE difference without the humidity.

2 things...if you hear a "sprinkler" in the back yard, don't go looking for it. It's probably not a sprinkler. Rattlers are quite common as my buddy found out.

And when you finally get into your house, if it has been "aired out" for any amount of time before you move in, check carefully in the darkened areas...closets, windows, cabinets...for tarantulas. And prepare your wife (if you have one). Tarantulas are frequently found on window screens. My buddy also learned this lesson the hard way.

Other than that, enjoy it, and get out and see all that that area has to offer. Sedona is BEAUTIFUL!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We sing and play games in the car to amuse ourselves. We've done it since the kids were way little and now our 12 year old can name movies, songs, geographic locations and just about anything else from A to Z. :lol:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Here's a neat tip I found this morning for those with more than one kid (obvioulsy this would work best for older kids)

Give the kids a roll of quarters at the beginning of road trips. Each kid starts off with the roll of quarters, but any time they complain, argue, tattle or fight with each other, take a quarter away from each person involved. The remaining quarters can be used in the hotel game room or for souvenirs or extra snacks.

SamSpade

Someone mentioned this already, but when we would go on very long trips as a kid - drives that went longer than 12 hours - my parents would leave at night, and switch off drivers, drink coffee at stops, knowing that we'd all be sound asleep in the back. They'd leave around 8, drive all night and possibly catch an hour or two snooze at a rest stop. Then we'd sing songs or have something to read - I'd grab the map and watch for landmarks and towns.

If I had small children today, I think I'd consider having some way for the kids to watch movies in the car, because I know I drove my parents crazy with frequent "are we there yets", kicking the back of the driver's seat and fighting with my siblings.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
Someone mentioned this already, but when we would go on very long trips as a kid - drives that went longer than 12 hours - my parents would leave at night, and switch off drivers, drink coffee at stops, knowing that we'd all be sound asleep in the back. They'd leave around 8, drive all night and possibly catch an hour or two snooze at a rest stop. Then we'd sing songs or have something to read - I'd grab the map and watch for landmarks and towns.

If I had small children today, I think I'd consider having some way for the kids to watch movies in the car, because I know I drove my parents crazy with frequent "are we there yets", kicking the back of the driver's seat and fighting with my siblings.
Used to do the same thing when my kids were YOUNG.. used to travel from KY to NH frequently.. and travelled at night.. they'd sleep almost the whole trip.. by the time they were two or three they were seasoned travellers and could travel daytime for extended periods without getting cranky..

Toxick

Splat
Ponytail said:
And when you finally get into your house, if it has been "aired out" for any amount of time before you move in, check carefully in the darkened areas...closets, windows, cabinets...for tarantulas. And prepare your wife (if you have one). Tarantulas are frequently found on window screens. My buddy also learned this lesson the hard way.

Tarantulas are nothing. You should have seen what I almost tripped over on my way out the door this morning:

Camelspider.jpg

:yikes: