Car Trips With Kids

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
HOLY CHIT!!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Toxick said:
Tarantulas are nothing. You should have seen what I almost tripped over on my way out the door this morning:

Camelspider.jpg

:yikes:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Pete said:
Looks to me like a scorpion eating the ass off a mouse. What do you see? Be careful you may be graded on your answer.
What I don't see is a stinger. :confused: And that's ok... I've dropped from 450+ points today to 120 or so... about 5 or 6 bad karma grades with no comments, no signatures, no nothin'. Can't even tell why I got bad karma.

Pete

Repete
sleuth said:
What I don't see is a stinger. :confused: And that's ok... I've dropped from 450+ points today to 120 or so... about 5 or 6 bad karma grades with no comments, no signatures, no nothin'. Can't even tell why I got bad karma.
Perhaps the stinger is under the rock. I was thinking more along the lines of the ink blot test for a grade.

Why does everyone obsess over unsigned karma? That is what karma is supposed to be. :shrug:

You don't know why?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
Sedona is BEAUTIFUL!
:yeahthat: I went there a couple of years ago. I want to go back, as I only stayed a couple of days and just scratched the surface of everything in the area. Absolutely breathtaking views all around.

If you go, you MUST eat at the Coffee Pot restaurant and get one of their 100+ different types of omelets. Cheap, good eats, and fantastic service. :yay:

Toxick

Splat
Pete said:
Looks to me like a scorpion eating the ass off a mouse. What do you see? Be careful you may be graded on your answer.

Actually, that's a camel spider.

Ugly little spud, ennit?

Toxick

Splat
sleuth said:
So that's the same thing that was circulating in those Iraq pictures a while back...

Yeah.. that's one of them. Incidentally, I didn't really almost trip on that this morning. I was only kidding.

So far, the biggest bug I've run across was a cockroach the size of a coffee saucer. You should have seen everyone flip out over that mamma-jamma. I ended up having to squash it with my hand, because there were no shoes or anything handy. That was a god-awful mess.

In Oklahoma when we had knocked off for the night, I was walking down the sidewalk to fill up the little ice-bucket, and almost walked into a spider web. The spider on there - I think - was a brown recluse. And it was mighty big... not quite as big as my hand... but about half that size, including the legs.

Luckily I'm not squeamish, but the fact that it almost became a fixture on my face makes my eyelid twitch. Just a little.

On the non-icky side, we got some good sized lizards too. I haven't run across anything on the scale of a gila monster, or an iguana, but we were looking at a lizard roughly the size of a 7-11 Spicy-Bite this morning. Someone had remarked earlier that around here, everything is either prickly or poisonous.

And since I didn't see any pricklers on the lizard, we kept our distance.

Basically it looked like a very large skink, but it could have been anything. I need to visit the nature museum up the road soon, so I can identify some of these critters.

RoseRed said:
Portable TV with DVD or VCR. Plenty of movies.
BJ's has the classic TV Games such as Pitfall, pinball, pac man, etc. that can be plugged directly into a TV and runs on 4 AA batteries. There are 4 choices and each only costs $16... I picked one up this past weekend, but haven't tried it yet. If your portable TV has a yellow and white jack for accessories, it should work...:yay:

mainman

Set Trippin
kwillia said:
BJ's has the classic TV Games such as Pitfall, pinball, pac man, etc. that can be plugged directly into a TV and runs on 4 AA batteries. There are 4 choices and each only costs $16... I picked one up this past weekend, but haven't tried it yet. If your portable TV has a yellow and white jack for accessories, it should work...:yay:
Well you wanna stop screwin around, test it and give us a review...sheesh already...:rolleyes:

:smile:

mainman said:
Well you wanna stop screwin around, test it and give us a review...sheesh already...:rolleyes:

:smile:
I really am dying to... but my son's birthday is Sep 25th and we are heading to Manassas that same day and I wanna give it as one of his gifts and he is old enough to know whether or not the gift has previously been opened and played with already...:ohwell:

We have a portable TV/VCR if you want to borrow it. Maybe. If we feel like loaning it out. If we ever get it back from our neighbor who borrowed it over a month ago.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
If your kids are big into gamecube/PS2/etc, you can buy a power converter and hook it up in the car. Add that to the portable TV's/DVD's mentioned and you'll forget they're riding along.

Yeah, there's a lot of electronic babysitter comments on this thread, but its not like they can go play outside and get some exercise. Anything to make the trip easier on them and you.

You might also look into mapping out the trip with some stops with the kids in mind. Look for their favorite eats on the way, state parks, public beaches, etc. If you plan it out a bit, you can tell them "only another hour and we'll stop at a big park". Look around online and you can find all sorts of things to do on the way.