Cardin Announces Plans for 2024

May 1, 2023

“I am proud of all I have done for Maryland. I have given my heart and soul to our great state, and I thank Marylanders for trusting me as your representative for all these years.”

BALTIMORE – U.S. Senator Ben Cardin, Maryland’s senior senator and Chair of the Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee, announced today that he would not seek re-election at the end of his current term. He released the following statement and a video with his wife, Myrna Cardin that can be downloaded here.

Passionate about both politics and policy for more than 56 years, Cardin has built up broad expertise on national security issues and human rights, health care, retirement security and taxes, small businesses issues, as well as the transportation alternatives and the Chesapeake Bay. More details on his policy accomplishments can be found here.

Senator Cardin: “I love Maryland. I love the people of Maryland and I love everything about our state from the beaches to the mountains, the cities and neighborhoods in between, and the rich history of the iconic Chesapeake Bay. It’s been the honor of my life to represent the people of Maryland in the General Assembly, as Speaker of the House of Delegates, as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and now in the United States Senate.

“From an early age, my family and my faith instilled in me the spirit of helping our community and that we all have a responsibility to make the world around us a better place. These values have always been present in my home and have driven my years of public service to Maryland and the nation.

“For me, the essential ingredients of effective public service are integrity and civility. I have always tried to listen to people, understand their problems and then work with them to find a solution. I am an optimist but also a realist. I was taught that it’s okay to compromise – don’t ever compromise your principles – but find a path to get things done. Inspire trust in those around you. Keep your word and, again, listen. That’s civility and it has been central to all I have done over these many years of elected office. It is how I was able to pass the groundbreaking Magnitsky sanctions and guaranteed dental care for children nationwide.

“I am proud of all I have done for Maryland. I have given my heart and soul to our great state, and I thank Marylanders for trusting me as your representative for all these years. I thank my family for their support and counsel, and recognize the many sacrifices they have endured as we traveled this path together. My profound thanks also to the most dedicated staff in all of Congress, many of whom have spent all or most of their career serving alongside me.

“I have run my last election and will not be on the ballot in 2024, but there is still much work to be done. During the next two years, I will continue to travel around the state, listening to Marylanders and responding to their needs. My top priorities include continuing our progress for the Chesapeake Bay, helping the people of Baltimore City deal with the challenges they face, and permanently expanding opportunities for telehealth, mental and behavioral health. As Small Business Chair, I will continue to work on behalf of small businesses in Maryland and across the country who still face a tough economic climate. We need to keep building up the tools available to help our small businesses, especially women-owned, veteran-owned, minority owned and underserved entrepreneurs. I plan to make the most of every moment left. #TeamMarylandForever.”

First elected to the Maryland House of Delegates in 1968 while still in law school at the University of Maryland, Cardin served as Maryland Ways and Means Chair and then as one of the youngest Speakers in Maryland’s history from 1979-1986. From 1987-2006, he represented Maryland’s Third Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives and served for 17 years on the House Ways & Means Committee. Cardin was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 2006. He is completing his third term. In addition to his leadership of the Small Business Committee, Cardin is the second-ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations and Environment & Public Works Committees. He also is a member of the Senate Finance Committee and is co-chair of the Committee on Security and Cooperation in Europe (Helsinki Commission). Cardin served as ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee from 2015-2018.

Louise

Wow. Cardin has been in office since I was 13 years old. Wow. I have lived in Maryland since 1998.