Carolina Wrens

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've talked about these little guys here before. Given any opportunity, they will build a nest in record time. They built one inside a helmet sitting on my bike. They built one in the garage up on a hanger rack. They built one in the front grill of my truck earlier this spring. I have to chase them out of the garage if I leave the door open. Fortunately, I chased them before they laid any eggs.

I have a garbage can just outside the back garage door, been using it to toss metal stuff in for recycle. I tossed a couple of 3" dryer exhaust tubes in there. Yesterday I saw the wren fly out of the can. Looked inside.... yup, another nest inside a pipe. A few minutes ago as I was walking past, the wren flew out, but I still heard noise in the can. Looked inside. I could hear the peeps of newborns. Can't see them, they are inside a pipe lying sideways, but they are there.

Guess I can't touch anything for a few months now.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Last year when I was ready to transfer the title of a truck over to my son, a wren built a nest in one of the holes in the side panel of the bed. I made him wait until the eggs hatched and the babies fledged before I would let him take possession of it and start driving. Boy was he mad at those birds!

edit: I told him he better watch every day to make sure he gets the nest out and blocks them from getting back in after the babies fledged.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Last year when I was ready to transfer the title of a truck over to my son, a wren built a nest in one of the holes in the side panel of the bed. I made him wait until the eggs hatched and the babies fledged before I would let him take possession of it and start driving. Boy was he mad at those birds!

edit: I told him he better watch every day to make sure he gets the nest out and blocks them from getting back in after the babies fledged.
That happened to my sister! They built the nest on the holes at the end of the bed, next to the tailgate. 😂

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, they fledged today, just happened to catch them! Missed a great opp for pictures, but I didn't have my camera with me. Went back and got it, but by then the babies were wary of me and I couldn't get closer.

156763 156764

Loper

Animal Poor!
I had 2 purple finches spend a week or so building a nest outside of where I have my office at home. A couple of weeks ago there was a standoff with a Robin and the next day the Robin took over and completed the nest to her specifications. On Thursday, dad finally showed up and now there are 4 little hatchlings. I can see their little beaks pop up when they come to feed them but it's too high up to try to take pictures.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I built the wrens 2 new birdhouses, and they ignored them. They still prefer my toolbox in the garage.

Built a new bluebird house to replace the falling apart one, but I haven't seen anyone take up residence. Maybe next year.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Oh no, he's gone - or more likely, laying in wait for the chicks to be cut loose.

DIL let the dogs out 6am last week, went to see what they were making a ruckus about and saw him. She opened the door and he flew out.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And, it's 2023 and the wrens are back to nest building. Left the garage door open for a little bit and just had to chase them out. They did eventually find the homes I built for them last year, and the bluebirds found the new birdhouse.

Also the season for cats. They're already spraying all over the place. Going to be like that for a few months. These aren't feral cats either, they all have collars. 😠

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^My kitties have never been free roaming.
Fenced in backyard WITH human chaperone, always.
I did have a few that liked to walk on lead.

Loper

Animal Poor!
5 baby blues hatched yesterday. If I can figure out how, I'll post some video from the camera in the nestbox.