cat allergy?

tiltedangel

ok this is all new to me...i have always had animals and have never been allergic. I got my new kitten about 6 months ago and he is just precious. The thing is now that he is getting older he is very lovable (which is a good quality) however everytime he rubs his face on mine i break out in hives. I love the cat, but the hives i can do without. I have another cat that is not as loveable but if she rubs my face i do not break out...does anyone know what might cause this?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had never been allergic to a cat in my whole entire life until Kiki Stinkertoes came on the scene. And it's still just her - other cats don't bother me. Some mysterious funk that is specific to her (and apparently your cat, too), I guess.

Cowgirl

I've also had cats all my life, and I'm only allergic to my Jack. The other two don't bother me. Luckily I don't get hives, I just get itchy eyes, runny nose, and I sneeze a ton. :ohwell:

tiltedangel

It says it on the Internet so it must be right. I have to stay away from my cat's mouth and face or I'm in big trouble.

The major cat allergen, called Fel d 1, is found in cat saliva.

that must be it then because he purrs like crazy and tries to snuggle his face to mine, and then all heck breaks lose..hives like crazy! he is so cute! he looks like your avatar lol! but i hate the hives i just dont have the heart to shoo him away. would anyone be allergic to this? or just certain people?

ok this is all new to me...i have always had animals and have never been allergic. I got my new kitten about 6 months ago and he is just precious. The thing is now that he is getting older he is very lovable (which is a good quality) however everytime he rubs his face on mine i break out in hives. I love the cat, but the hives i can do without. I have another cat that is not as loveable but if she rubs my face i do not break out...does anyone know what might cause this?

there's something you can bathe them in a special shampoo or bathe and rinse your cat in distilled water

o just saw.. can't bathe... hmmm maybe the vet has something. just read an article where a lady switched cat food and started getting hives from her cat?

Last edited:

tiltedangel

Yeah i would like to find something that will work. He is also having a new problem and i am not too sure where it stems from. He keeps getting what almost looks like scrapes on different places of his face. I am not too sure if it is a flea allergy or just from scrapping with my other cat. I have a black cat and they hate each other and the dog hates him too. so when the kitten pounces on her they fight. I put flea treatment on him and it has probably been close to a month since and they seemed to stay away during that time. He is a really sweet cat, remember him? he was big green eyes lol! and i have had him fixed too. If i could just get some relief from the allergy to him..since he loves to nuzzle! lol!

Oh I know maybe those pet wipes I have seen in the stores? they would help keep the dander down on his fur. Does he go out at all? maybe its pollen on his fur?

I would try the pet wipes.. and see if that helps.. I still have one kitten from that litter.. but its a long haired one, the white one with the orange and gray tail...

my co-worker took the all white one, but I havent seen any pics lately, the one I still have has huge paws! I think she will end up being pretty big! shes rotten!

tiltedangel

Oh I know maybe those pet wipes I have seen in the stores? they would help keep the dander down on his fur. Does he go out at all? maybe its pollen on his fur?

I would try the pet wipes.. and see if that helps.. I still have one kitten from that litter.. but its a long haired one, the white one with the orange and gray tail...

my co-worker took the all white one, but I havent seen any pics lately, the one I still have has huge paws! I think she will end up being pretty big! shes rotten!

no he doesn't go out at all...strictly house cat and spoiled rotten like my other animals lol!

I also went and got him a flea collar and his face is clearing up nicely...

Attachments

• Prano and Taczi.jpg
    Prano and Taczi.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Prano relaxing.jpg
    Prano relaxing.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 119
  • prano close up.jpg
    prano close up.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 81
OH MY GOODNESS!! HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! and big too! I love his eyes and his markings!

Attachments

• onceAbaby.jpg
    onceAbaby.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 105