Cat Flea Dip?

jenbengen

Watch it
Our indoor cat escaped for two days and despite Frontline she got fleas. We used flea shampoo and all of those other great things available and then reapplied Frontline and she still has some fleas.

So now that we've exhausted the flea treatments, my question is this:
Is there a groomer or service here in St Mary's that offers a flea dip for a cat? We really want to get it under control before it gets really bad.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Our indoor cat escaped for two days and despite Frontline she got fleas. We used flea shampoo and all of those other great things available and then reapplied Frontline and she still has some fleas.

So now that we've exhausted the flea treatments, my question is this:
Is there a groomer or service here in St Mary's that offers a flea dip for a cat? We really want to get it under control before it gets really bad.

DO NOT DIP YOUR CAT. DIP CAN KILL HER.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
DO NOT DIP CAT!!!! Catt is right...that crap is so toxic and cats will die from it...and NEVER use ANY product made by Hartz......

Use Capstar.....will killl fleas :)

I use Adams ZFlea and Tick spray.....rub in fur...not into the skin....

then give a complete bath from nose to tail....to get rid of dead fleas and comb out really well....

dry very well....using towel and blow drier...
Remember..to scruff a cat is a way to control her and save your skin!!!

pearlie369

UnStAbLe YeT sAfE
I was a vet tech for 8 years and I can tell you dips don't work all that well, most over the counter products are poison to cats even though the label says it's for cats, they become sick, have seizures, foam at the mouth, ect ect... and well cats hate it with a passion. There is a new product out called Promeris that has a different chemical in it that worked good for us, don't know which vet would have it but I'm sure one does. If you want to go the dip route, vca (301-862-2441) in lex.park used to do dips. The only other issue is if you have already used products in the last 2 weeks,the concern would be with over dosing. There is a limit to the amount of chemical one small body can take in a short time. Flea eggs can stay in the carpet for 6 months before hatching (you cant vacuum them up, and chemicals don't go through the cocoon), so I also recommend treating your home a few times. Hope you can get some relief.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
But, IS there really a flea dip for cats? And.....if there is; and it can kill them, why is it used? I honestly don't know, that's why I ask.

It is all about the toxins that are absorbed into the skin and into the blood stream. There is no way to figure out the correct dosage of toxin to cats weight....most home owners mever weigh their cats and have no idea how dangerous those "dips" are.

Give a bath....drown those fleas,,,,I have some nice cat muzzles if you need them.

frequentflier

happy to be living
an inexpensive flea comb used frequently also helps. Keep a large bowl of soapy water nearby to toss those jumping buggers into.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER DIP A CAT. Some groomers will tell you they have a safe dip. If you love your cat, do not even chance it. Persians are especially sensitive to most flea products, even if made for cats.

Capstar works well, but only kills the adult fleas. Then use Advantage for cats. Since the fleas don't spend much time at all on the animal, you need to treat your home. Spend the money and get a good spray and vacuum like crazy and empty the bag/cup as soon as you finish vacuuming.

I am truly surprised no one suggested to hold the cat underwater for 30 minutes to drown the fleas.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It is all about the toxins that are absorbed into the skin and into the blood stream. There is no way to figure out the correct dosage of toxin to cats weight....most home owners mever weigh their cats and have no idea how dangerous those "dips" are.

Give a bath....drown those fleas,,,,I have some nice cat muzzles if you need them.

I just thought; since cats lick themselves to groom and "bathe"; if you put something onto the fur, and they "take a bath," they'll get sick, or worse.

Cat muzzles? Seriously? Really....seriously? I tend to think you would get ripped to shreds trying to put a muzzle on a cat; like you would trying to give one a bath.

Cowgirl

I just thought; since cats lick themselves to groom and "bathe"; if you put something onto the fur, and they "take a bath," they'll get sick, or worse.

Cat muzzles? Seriously? Really....seriously? I tend to think you would get ripped to shreds trying to put a muzzle on a cat; like you would trying to give one a bath.

Giving a cat a bath isn't hard, you just have to know how to hold them.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
I had 2 persians groomed and they didn't have fleas. I knew that the breed is sensitive so I took them to a vet that had someone that did grooming. Not only did they shampoo them in flea and tick shampoo, they used a dip on them. When I picked them up they were still damp, but they said they will be fine, they just didn't get fully dry because of their big coats. (It was closing time so they had to go). They looked good and it was mainly the hard areas to dry that were still damp, so I agreed to take them. After we got home they were fine for about 3-4 hrs then I started to see a little foam comeing from the mouth of one. Cleaned it up and seemed ok. By morning they were both foaming and not looking to perky. So I called them and they told me that they were fine. I was like my cats aren't fine, they are foaming at the mouth like you see in bad vampire and warewolf movies. I asked to talk to the groomer...Same story, but found out about the shampoo and dip. Asked to talk to a vet....Same story. Since this wasn't my regular vet and I didn't believe a word they were saying I called my regular vet and she told me they were starting Toxic Shock and to rinse them and rinse them well. She told me to run water on them for 10-15 each and towel dry. If they weren't getting better in a few hrs to call back and bring them in. Well I caught it in time and the rising solved the issue. However, I was lied too by the vet and groomer at the place that did the grooming. You have to be very careful with flea and tick products on animals. Sometimes we have to work hard to get rid of them safely, for both them and us. This happened many moons ago and both Persians (Alex (15 almost 16) and Gizzy(14 almost 15)) have both gone to Rainbow Bridge, but I remember this and them very clearly.