Cat neglect-what should I do?

Restless

Our neighbors have three cats that are being neglected. They are thin and live outside all year round. They don't get fed regularly.

I am pet sitting for the family for the next few days. I have a bunny, lizard, fish, dog, and the three cats to care for. The dog is inside as is the fish and lizard. The cats are out in this bitter cold. I went to feed them earlier today and they were so hungry. There is hardly any food in the container left for me to feed them. Maybe another day's worth. My other neighbors are animal lovers as well. I talked to them today and was told than one of the cats goes thru their doggy door into their garage at night. One of the other cats lives under their porch most of the time. I don't know what the other kitty does.

I don't want to cause trouble in the neighborhood but this isn't fair to the poor animals.

What would you do??

Last edited:

Colinsgrandma

You can semi adopt them, build a cat house for them, with blankets or hay, provide food and fresh water for them. Those people will not change, reporting them may cause problems for you; i am sure shelters are already filled to capacity with unwanted cats.

Caution

You can semi adopt them, build a cat house for them, with blankets or hay, provide food and fresh water for them. Those people will not change, reporting them may cause problems for you; i am sure shelters are already filled to capacity with unwanted cats.

Ya it's kinda rough having them be her neighbor like that. Pretty awkward situation to be in. I have never had a cat, all dogs, but I don't like seeing animals mistreated.

But this is definitely an awkward situation. Your ideas might be a wise way to go.

Restless

Thank you for your suggestions! I just went out and opened the door to our crawl space and turned the light on under it. It is nice and warm under there. I left the door open enough for them to go in but not so much as to make the crawl space cold. I called for them so hopefully they heard me and will go under. They have plenty of food in their bowls for tonight. I will have to give fresh water in the morning. It will be frozen tonight.

My only problem is that cat food is expensive, even the cheap stuff. We already have three cats of our own and two dogs. Money is getting tighter and tighter but I will do my best to keep everyone fed. Our cats are all on the plump side! i just leave food out for them 24/7 in our laundry room.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. It's an awkward situation. I feel badly for the neighbor on the other side of these people because they have a beautiful yard. In addition to neglecting their cats, they neglect their yard. There is junk all over the place.

Oh well.

Caution

Thank you for your suggestions! I just went out and opened the door to our crawl space and turned the light on under it. It is nice and warm under there. I left the door open enough for them to go in but not so much as to make the crawl space cold. I called for them so hopefully they heard me and will go under. They have plenty of food in their bowls for tonight. I will have to give fresh water in the morning. It will be frozen tonight.

My only problem is that cat food is expensive, even the cheap stuff. We already have three cats of our own and two dogs. Money is getting tighter and tighter but I will do my best to keep everyone fed. Our cats are all on the plump side! i just leave food out for them 24/7 in our laundry room.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. It's an awkward situation. I feel badly for the neighbor on the other side of these people because they have a beautiful yard. In addition to neglecting their cats, they neglect their yard. There is junk all over the place.

Oh well.

I respect you for caring enough to do what you can. Need more folks like you. :yay:

buddscreekman

You asked what would I do. So here goes: they dont care enough to feed them. So screw em. Tell them you havent seen them in a couple days..they must have run away. To your living room. Get my driftwood? And maybe a forumite can hook up some food drop offs. :)

frequentflier

happy to be living
Since you are buying them food, try getting them kitten food. It is higher in fat. That's what I need the ferals.
And bless your heart for caring.

buddscreekman

BTW,unless there alot of cop hoarders with those exact pets away on vacation right now,you just did make it weird for yourself. This is a public forum. That said,you arent making trouble they are by being retards.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

No ####.

My cats live outside and are perfectly fine. I wish you people would get lives of your own and stop busybodying. It's freaking annoying. Have a baby or something to satisfy your control caretaker issues.

frequentflier

happy to be living
No ####.

My cats live outside and are perfectly fine. I wish you people would get lives of your own and stop busybodying. It's freaking annoying. Have a baby or something to satisfy your control caretaker issues.

You do feed your cats, though don't you? Many people think their cats outdoors can "fend for themselves" by killing mice and birds. Clearly the people that own these cats don't give a $hit if they are fed or not.

Roman

Oh well.
You can get bulk bags of dry cat food at any Farm Supply Store. The cost is about $15.00 for something like 40 pounds. If you leave the Crawl Space open for these kitties, don't be too shocked if you see Possums, and Racoons under there to join in the warmth.

Roman

I forgot to add that you can make a nice, and warm Cat House by using a Rubber Maid Container, Straw, and old blankets & towels. I used a covered Litter Box, and it worked well.

somdwatch

No ####.

It kills me how people automatically assume animals need people to survive. Trust me, they can't apply for welfare, they understand survival better than we as humans.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You do feed your cats, though don't you? Many people think their cats outdoors can "fend for themselves" by killing mice and birds. Clearly the people that own these cats don't give a $hit if they are fed or not.

They obviously care if the cats are fed because they've arranged for Restless to come over and feed them.

:shrug:

Rather than the cats starving - because cats are evil gangsters who will eat your unattended small children if they have a notion - I'd be more concerned about them being properly vaccinated so they don't get rabies from eating tasty birds and mice. Kiki and Gidgie will eat around the neighborhood, just like the neighbor cats come eat the chow I set out for them, so I don't worry too much about them being hungry or even cold. Them being vetted is more of a concern.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It kills me how people automatically assume animals need people to survive. Trust me, they can't apply for welfare, they understand survival better than we as humans.

I wish I'd posted that.

We do make our pets into...pets. Just like we try to do with humans. It's a fascinating look into human nature, this need to be needed and important. Like "climate change" and how humans think they can control the weather. :lol:

black dog

Free America

Just wait until all of the neighborhood animals are using your crawlspace for a bathroom.
You will get wind of it soon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just wait until all of the neighborhood animals are using your crawlspace for a bathroom.
You will get wind of it soon.

How would that be different than squirrels or raccoons or possums? You secure your home so critters can't get in, regardless of what kind they are.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No ####.

My cats live outside and are perfectly fine. .

So do my two. Being feral when I got them almost 12 years ago, they wouldn't have it any other way.

We feed them and built a raised shelter so where they can escape wind, dogs, racoons and the occasional fox. But neither one of them has been any farther inside a "warm building" than our concrete block garage.