Cat sanctuary at Bennett O. Hughes Memorial Tree Farm?

UglyBear

We just went for a hike at the park, and there were little (what can you call them? boxes? tiny barns? cages?) all over the forest, with cat food and water dishes next to them. And this is a serious forest, mind you.
A very nice gentleman, who volunteers there, told us it's a cat sanctuary!!!.
I know a bit of history of the Tree Farm -- it was willed to Calvert Co as a park, on the condition that it's to be used as a demonstration tree farm, with occasional logging.
How does cat sanctuary mesh with a working tree farm?
I love cats, and now really want to volunteer there -- but does anybody know of the history of how those two things came together? Just looking for some interesting insights.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
When Linda Kelly was alive she was instrumental in getting the Calvert board of commissioners to allow the cat sanctuary there. I didn't think the tree farm was active any longer, but perhaps a portion of it is. I was somewhat active with Friends of Felines back in the 2000's, don't know if they still exist, and the Humane Society. If you want to volunteer I would suggest you contact the CC humane society or the shelter up by the PF emissions place.

DaSDGuy

We just went for a hike at the park, and there were little (what can you call them? boxes? tiny barns? cages?) all over the forest, with cat food and water dishes next to them. And this is a serious forest, mind you.
A very nice gentleman, who volunteers there, told us it's a cat sanctuary!!!.
I know a bit of history of the Tree Farm -- it was willed to Calvert Co as a park, on the condition that it's to be used as a demonstration tree farm, with occasional logging.
How does cat sanctuary mesh with a working tree farm?
I love cats, and now really want to volunteer there -- but does anybody know of the history of how those two things came together? Just looking for some interesting insights.
Don't they catch, neuter/spay, and release the feral cats to live out their lives?

Hank

my war
When Linda Kelly was alive she was instrumental in getting the Calvert board of commissioners to allow the cat sanctuary there. I didn't think the tree farm was active any longer, but perhaps a portion of it is. I was somewhat active with Friends of Felines back in the 2000's, don't know if they still exist, and the Humane Society. If you want to volunteer I would suggest you contact the CC humane society or the shelter up by the PF emissions place.

Shelter by emissions? It's on 231 near the park

frequentflier

happy to be living
The sanctuary is still run by Friends of Felines volunteers. You can call 410 414 2122 if you would like to talk to someone.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thank you all!
This was just strange to see prob. close to 30 cat houses in the middle of the forest.
F of F is an awesome group. They do a lot of TNR for managed colonies and homeowners. Linda Kelley was instrumental in setting up the agreement with the tree farm.
With kitten season upon us, they will be taking in a lot of babies (and the Moms) in the very near future. With any luck, when this crisis is over, some of the kitties will come to my store for adoption :)