Cat with IBS

Dakota

~~~~~~~
One of my felines (which is not my cat) was diagnosed with IBS some years back and put on prescription cat food. She eats Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food dry and canned. We get this via auto-ship but haven't seen a shipment in a month. I have almost 1 full bag of dry but zero cans. I ran out yesterday.

This cat is actually my youngest son's cat and because he was traveling so often, he opted to leave her with us when he moved to another state. IBS is not just triggered by food but also by stress. The stress of being alone for a few days will cause her to crap everywhere. Not just that, the smell of her poop is awful and we have never found a house sitter that will house sit a second time because of it.

Now recently, his girlfriend moved in, and she found what she thought was a kitten but later learned it is 8–9-years-old with FIV so now he can never take his non-FIV cat to his house to live. :confused:

She's 11- or 12-years-old now. Norwegian Forest Cats have an average expected lifespan of 10-12 years old. Mean to think about I know but I am hoping we don't have to deal with this much longer because a cat with IBS is bad enough and couple that with cat food shortages, it is a set up for disaster. We were told when we got the diagnoses that this wasn't going to be fun for us at all and that it can and most likely will get worse as she gets older. We have already noticed that and know when she starts hissing at her butt and growling, we will be as miserable as she is.

Hopefully we will see this food soon, but I am curious if there is anyone reading this who has a cat with this and if you feed them something different?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
That cats lucky it lives with you...

Not so sure about that because I have the thoughts you may be thinking. I'm nice but this is beyond expectation of nice. Originally, I took her to the vet for adnominal pain. The vet that ran the tests, labs and examined her was baffled. She ended up in a back room with several vets. They looked over her test/labs and saw nothing and each examined her. Next thing I know, one of the male vets who I know to have been at Tidewater a long time (forgot his name) came out and spoke to us. There is no doubt that if at any time we opted to put her down, he would have supported that decision. It isn't an easy diagnosis. Even with prescription food, we have triggers (we don't know these triggers) and she'll moan like she is in heat. :(

What is making things tougher right now is covid/trucker's. The main headquarters is in Canada and they do have places in Fremont Nebraska and Lebanon Tennesse. I just don't know if they actually MAKE food in the US or depend on Canada for supply. What I do know, is I haven't seen a shipment in a month and I'm getting a tad bit concerned.

I have already made the decision that if she suffers and I cannot rectify that in a few days' time what I will do. I will not allow it to be a constant for her.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Looks like food might tighten up, maybe you should take the Not my Cat and put it on Grass Fed to finish if off.
Do you have a grill rotisserie?
If so show the cat, tell it you poop all over my house again you are a roto-cat....

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not so sure about that because I have the thoughts you may be thinking. I'm nice but this is beyond expectation of nice. Originally, I took her to the vet for adnominal pain. The vet that ran the tests, labs and examined her was baffled. She ended up in a back room with several vets. They looked over her test/labs and saw nothing and each examined her. Next thing I know, one of the male vets who I know to have been at Tidewater a long time (forgot his name) came out and spoke to us. There is no doubt that if at any time we opted to put her down, he would have supported that decision. It isn't an easy diagnosis. Even with prescription food, we have triggers (we don't know these triggers) and she'll moan like she is in heat. :(

What is making things tougher right now is covid/trucker's. The main headquarters is in Canada and they do have places in Fremont Nebraska and Lebanon Tennesse. I just don't know if they actually MAKE food in the US or depend on Canada for supply. What I do know, is I haven't seen a shipment in a month and I'm getting a tad bit concerned.

I have already made the decision that if she suffers and I cannot rectify that in a few days' time what I will do. I will not allow it to be a constant for her.
It sounds like she has little quality of life. It might be the kindest thing for her- and you- to let her go. :huggy:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It sounds like she has little quality of life. It might be the kindest thing for her- and you- to let her go. :huggy:

Thank you for posting this. I know this in my heart. She is not my cat, but I would like to think of myself as humane. If we cannot get her food, her quality of life could return to terrible, and I will make that decision. I got a notification last night that the food is on backordered. Even the non-prescription food is backordered. I even tried fresh chicken/carrots but even that can turn south at times.

black dog

Free America
Thank you for posting this. I know this in my heart. She is not my cat, but I would like to think of myself as humane. If we cannot get her food, her quality of life could return to terrible, and I will make that decision. I got a notification last night that the food is on backordered. Even the non-prescription food is backordered. I even tried fresh chicken/carrots but even that can turn south at times.
Does Tractor Supply sell the food? Have you looked at Tractor online?
I ask that with doing work in one of there distribution centers out here they stock 100's of different dog and cat foods. The most I have never seen anywhere, one of there stores might have 25% of whats stocked in the Hagerstown Distrubution Center.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Does Tractor Supply sell the food? Have you looked at Tractor online?
I ask that with doing work in one of there distribution centers out here they stock 100's of different dog and cat foods. The most I have never seen anywhere, one of there stores might have 25% of whats stocked in the Hagerstown Distrubution Center.

They don't sell the brand, but I might ride up and see if I can find anything else to try. It wouldn't hurt.

She has the prescription dry - 1 bag and I gave her some chicken and carrots today that seem to have settled well. This sounds gross but we keep her butt shaved to reduce any sort of mess with episodes. It is much easier to wipe and clean up a shaved butt vs. a fury one. Our vet said push the dry I have on hand and hope for the best (meaning another dry bag will come before I run out). She keeps telling me, she gets hungry enough she'll eat it. I only gave her a 1/2 a can of the wet in the a.m. and in the p.m. that they prescribed but we are now out of canned food. The wet keeps her from getting constipated. Yep -IBS can go either way... from the runs to being unable to go at all.

We have been battling this for 3 years and 2 years of that, we have had covid shortages.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I'm seeing that Chewy and Petco have it in stock.
And Chewy has a order today and get 35% off first order on Google.
Screenshot_20220223-113748.png

Screenshot_20220223-113819.png

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'm seeing that Chewy and Petco have it in stock.
And Chewy has a order today and get 35% off first order on Google.
View attachment 162774

View attachment 162776
They don't - you put it in your cart - check out and they notify you after the fact that you are waitlisted.

We are currently wait listed on our chewy auto ship and we get served before somebody who signs up after the fact.

That is another thing that just sucks in all this!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They don't - you put it in your cart - check out and they notify you after the fact that you are waitlisted.

We are currently wait listed on our chewy auto ship and we get served before somebody who signs up after the fact.

That is another thing that just sucks in all this!
Have you tried the pet store in Leonardtown?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Have you tried the pet store in Leonardtown?
I believe that is now closed but yes, that is where I was getting her food when all this began, and they stopped carrying the brand.

I have tried so many different brands before we settled on Royal Canin. Hills Science made her worse.

I knew posting a thread was a piss in the dark. Most people just put them down with this...