Catch 22

RetiredCPO

Bought a new home recently in the area directly behind Kohl’s off the new section of FDR. After all my wife and I went through, I would advise anyone looking at new homes to stay well clear. Believed it was just us at first, but after becoming friends with all our new neighbors, it seems everyone has had problems with the builder. This is where the problem lies. We all want to keep others from going through what we did, but by doing this; we keep others from buying and completing our neighborhood. This builder has no model homes to look at except their office, of course it looks great, and so you buy sight unseen. The product they put out is left up to each individual’s opinion. In mine, it’s not up to even the lowest standards and barely passes code. Unfortunately because they were 4 months late finishing our home, I was on deployment for the final inspection and closing. We all want our new neighbors; we want to get the neighborhood finished. We just want to warn anyone looking to be ready and willing to spend a lot of time at the builder’s office to ensure they get the home they paid for.

Bought a new home recently in the area directly behind Kohl’s off the new section of FDR. After all my wife and I went through, I would advise anyone looking at new homes to stay well clear. Believed it was just us at first, but after becoming friends with all our new neighbors, it seems everyone has had problems with the builder. This is where the problem lies. We all want to keep others from going through what we did, but by doing this; we keep others from buying and completing our neighborhood. This builder has no model homes to look at except their office, of course it looks great, and so you buy sight unseen. The product they put out is left up to each individual’s opinion. In mine, it’s not up to even the lowest standards and barely passes code. Unfortunately because they were 4 months late finishing our home, I was on deployment for the final inspection and closing. We all want our new neighbors; we want to get the neighborhood finished. We just want to warn anyone looking to be ready and willing to spend a lot of time at the builder’s office to ensure they get the home they paid for.

Sorry about your house, Chief. :frown: Did you call them and get all :cds: with them?

The Dude

You mean coitus?
"You mean there's a catch?"
"Sure there's a catch. Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat duty isin't really crazy."

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are a lot of poor builders in southern MD.

Based on what I've heard, I would agree. However, if people were to name them, you would get a rebuttal on each from someone who had a wonderful experience.

FWIW, a model home wouldn't work either since ALL builders put the upgrades into their models. Models are always perfect. That's what makes them attractive to buy when the builder is closing out a development.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Based on what I've heard, I would agree. However, if people were to name them, you would get a rebuttal on each from someone who had a wonderful experience.

FWIW, a model home wouldn't work either since ALL builders put the upgrades into their models. Models are always perfect. That's what makes them attractive to buy when the builder is closing out a development.

I have seen some horrible model homes in the area. We looked at a model in Persimmon Hills just of Rt 235 several years ago. In addition to the other shoddy finishing (wood work that wasn't sanded or finished properly, poorly installed marble around the fire place) one of the worst examples was drawers in the master bathroom that couldn't be opened because they weren't spaced out far enough from the wall to clear the door jamb. They opened about 2 inches and that was it. I saw one home where the dishwasher couldn't be opened because it was blocked by drawer and cabinet handles on adjacent cabinets (90 degrees off). I watched one custom home go up in our neighborhood where a lot of second hand and junk lumber was used in construction. It looked like the builder picked up scraps from other builder's sites.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
About a decade ago there was a woman that worked near the little airport that had signs all over her station wagon ridiculing her home builder. I heard she parked this vehicle near the model on the weekends. I guess they didn't satisfy her so she found a way to somehow get a measure of revenge.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have seen some horrible model homes in the area. We looked at a model in Persimmon Hills just of Rt 235 several years ago. In addition to the other shoddy finishing (wood work that wasn't sanded or finished properly, poorly installed marble around the fire place) one of the worst examples was drawers in the master bathroom that couldn't be opened because they weren't spaced out far enough from the wall to clear the door jamb. They opened about 2 inches and that was it. I saw one home where the dishwasher couldn't be opened because it was blocked by drawer and cabinet handles on adjacent cabinets (90 degrees off). I watched one custom home go up in our neighborhood where a lot of second hand and junk lumber was used in construction. It looked like the builder picked up scraps from other builder's sites.

If those were the "Model" home I would have ran like hell.

BTW isn't using old, reclaimed wood a trendy and rather expensive thing :D

dave1959

What problems did you have ???

Did you contact the builder ??

Did they correct the issues ???

dave1959

Awwwwww...you said master bedroom...:cds:

In residential real estate, bid farewell to the 'master bedroom' - Baltimore Business Journal

RetiredCPO

What problems did you have ???

Did you contact the builder ??

Did they correct the issues ???

The quick answer is;
Many..
Every day by phone or by going into their office..
Some...

The long of it is that it began right from day one. We planned out our home buying around my deployment schedule. We knew it was not going to work out when the very first deadline (permit) came and went. Of course, it was the counties fault according to the builder. Little did they know (I informed them myself) the county has a link on their web site to track outstanding permits. I checked it daily, no movement. This was the first of several tactics they employed to slow down progress so they could catch up with other projects/pay sub-contractors. Ground breaking was scheduled for the first week of Nov, ground was broken the first week of Jan, already 2 months behind. One note to remember, the winter of 2011-12 was very mild, they could not use the weather excuse for delays. Only minor issues up to this point which were addressed or explained away.
Great, basement is in and back filled, slab in and wood package delivered, not! Only half of our required materials were delivered. Builder claims it was a mix up with order, the research I did showed it was non-payment to supplier. This was the beginning of hearing this from just about all the builders suppliers/sub-contractors when I talked with them at our site. It was 5 weeks before our entire building package was complete and work started. Keep in mind that all the while, what was delivered was out in the open, uncovered and sitting in the mud.
I could go on and list every problem, but I think I've made my point. We addressed every issue we've had with the builder. Most of them where just blow off as that's the way it's done and meets their standards. The issues they did address after closing took months to rectify and when they did repair them, made matters worse by causing more damage. We are at the point that we no longer want them in our home. I am happy that at least I was home for the pre-drywall inspection, so I know the structure and rough-ins are sound.
Little by little, we are getting things fixed ourselves as that's the only way we know they'll be done right.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry about your house. You know, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who had a home built around here that didn't come away from the experience with a migraine and full head of gray hair. A friend of mine had a luxury home built by a builder who'd been around forever....and he went bankrupt in the middle of her home construction. She had to find someone else to finish it, AND fought with him for years to get her money back - I'm not sure whether she recovered it or not.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The quick answer is;
Many..
Every day by phone or by going into their office..
Some...

The long of it is that it began right from day one. We planned out our home buying around my deployment schedule. We knew it was not going to work out when the very first deadline (permit) came and went. Of course, it was the counties fault according to the builder. Little did they know (I informed them myself) the county has a link on their web site to track outstanding permits. I checked it daily, no movement. This was the first of several tactics they employed to slow down progress so they could catch up with other projects/pay sub-contractors. Ground breaking was scheduled for the first week of Nov, ground was broken the first week of Jan, already 2 months behind. One note to remember, the winter of 2011-12 was very mild, they could not use the weather excuse for delays. Only minor issues up to this point which were addressed or explained away.
Great, basement is in and back filled, slab in and wood package delivered, not! Only half of our required materials were delivered. Builder claims it was a mix up with order, the research I did showed it was non-payment to supplier. This was the beginning of hearing this from just about all the builders suppliers/sub-contractors when I talked with them at our site. It was 5 weeks before our entire building package was complete and work started. Keep in mind that all the while, what was delivered was out in the open, uncovered and sitting in the mud.
I could go on and list every problem, but I think I've made my point. We addressed every issue we've had with the builder. Most of them where just blow off as that's the way it's done and meets their standards. The issues they did address after closing took months to rectify and when they did repair them, made matters worse by causing more damage. We are at the point that we no longer want them in our home. I am happy that at least I was home for the pre-drywall inspection, so I know the structure and rough-ins are sound.
Little by little, we are getting things fixed ourselves as that's the only way we know they'll be done right.

Any problems with excessive RADON levels?

RetiredCPO

Any problems with excessive RADON levels?

Not to date. Have had it tested once since we moved in, levels were well below limits. I do have to say, with all the problems we have had, the subs that did our basement did it right. I really kept an eye on that portion of the construction. Footer, walls, weeping tile and bath rough in all done well above requirements/code. We did opt out of having the basement finished by the builder, will do that at later date with contractors I select.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Are you referring to the area where the old National Mobile Home Park used to be?

RetiredCPO

Are you referring to the area where the old National Mobile Home Park used to be?

Yes, still on the same roads the trailer park was on. That's another wait and see item. Was told by builder that all roads would be repaved when they were about 95% complete building homes... it's been 3 years since they started and they're only about 30%....