Catfish Anyone?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That's some good eatin' right there.

The smaller ones are better than the big beasts. Plus they've had less time to accumulate heavy metals in their system.

NextJen

Raisin cane

I wanted to see if there was some correlation between the Snakehead invasion and the increase in the catfish population, thought maybe the Snakehead was removing species that prey on catfish. Does not appear so, but there is an invasive, predatory species of Blue Catfish, non-native, which is increasing in numbers in the Potomac. Some think a bigger threat than the Snakehead.

The largest species of catfish in North America, the blue catfish is a non-native predator that appears to be growing quickly in size and population in the tidal Potomac. Experts from Virginia and Maryland agree their growing presence in local waters spells likely trouble for other fish species, like shad and bass.

They're opportunistic eaters that devour mussels, vegetation, and other fish, and can live for up to 30 years, growing in excess of 100 pounds.

NextJen

Raisin cane
but there is an invasive, predatory species of Blue Catfish, non-native, which is increasing in numbers in the Potomac
We used to catch lots of blue cats every time we would go out on the Potomac. Last year didn't catch as many, mostly because it rained so much and didn't get out as often. I haven't been out on my boat at all this year due to unfortunate circumstances, and I haven't caught any from my place on the river yet either.
This catch was one outing back in 2016.