Catfish

K

Kizzy

How the frick and frack do I fry this? What do I use? I think corn meal and egg :confused: If not, what do you use to fry your catfish?

K

Kizzy

<--------- :loser: I know, I am a cut the top of the box and put it in the oven kind of girl.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Kizzy said:
How the frick and frack do I fry this? What do I use? I think corn meal and egg :confused: If not, what do you use to fry your catfish?
salt pepper cornmeal and flour
or you can go buy the fish fry coating already mixed.

I double dip
dip in dry
dip in egg wash
dip in dry
fry

Agee

huntr1 said:
We use a cajun seasoning and blacken it in cast iron skillets on the grill.
:yay: Blackened Catfish is bumping.

As "suz" posted, seasoned flour, beaten egg, then seasoned corn meal. This is one of the traditional southern methods. Add pinto beans, hush puppies, and cole slaw, lip smacking.

Try beer battered. Bottle of beer in a bowl, sift in flour and cornstarch, until the consistency of thin pancake batter. Season with S&P, old bay. Dip fillets, and deep fry. I've had friends use Bisquick to make a batter as well.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
appyday said:
:yeahthat: dip egg wash...dip cornmeal (add seasonings to taste) and fry...and it does not take long to cook either

YUMMY!!!!! When is dinner? I will even help cook. My family always uses cornmeal and seasoning and fry it up in peanut oil. This will leave it to be less greasy!!

K

Kizzy

Could you dumb the word "seasoning" down for me. :tap: Do you mean salt and pepper?

:bawl: I am really this stupid when it comes to cooking. :ohwell:

Agee

Kizzy said:
Could you dumb the word "seasoning" down for me. :tap: Do you mean salt and pepper?

:bawl: I am really this stupid when it comes to cooking. :ohwell:
Besides S&P, try any of the following for catfish:
Old Bay
Lemon Pepper
Garlic Powder
Cajun spice mix
Lawrys Season Salt

K

Kizzy

appyday said:
:poorbaby: Kizzy honey what ever you like.......garlic...salt/pepper....old bay....lemon pepper.......the choice is endless...I like garlic and old bay

:smoochy: and thanks to you Airgasm, that helps. I do have this stuff in my kitchen. :banana:

I have only 1 more question. When I fry this, I can fry it in greese in a skillet, then flip it over, like chicken, or should I use a deep fryer?

Agee

Kizzy said:
:smoochy: and thanks to you Airgasm, that helps. I do have this stuff in my kitchen. :banana:

I have only 1 more question. When I fry this, I can fry it in greese in a skillet, then flip it over, like chicken, or should I use a deep fryer?
As long as someone is standing by with fire extinguisher in hand. :biggrin:

That method will work fine.

K

Kizzy

Airgasm said:
Hey Appy, maybe we should go to her house, and give a demo?

Yeah, then somebody can hold the fire extinguisher. :ohwell:

I'll post how it turns out later. :yay:

K

Kizzy

I had company and it turned out just fine. My company thought I looked like I knew what I was doing. :lmao:

I made it a couple different way and it was way too much cat fish. I used seasoned bread crumbs, not bad. But I found it works better when you dip it in egg, then the mix, then egg and mix again. The breading didn't fall off that way.

K

Kizzy

Of course I didn't have any tarter sauce, only coctail. :ohwell: I think it would have been better with tarter.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
Of course I didn't have any tarter sauce, only coctail. :ohwell: I think it would have been better with tarter.

:cartwheel :cartwheel :cartwheel

I bet you did great!!!! You probably didn't think to bother to ask the neighbors for relish and mayo??? Or did you have some? :tarter:

:getdown: Kizzy the Chef!

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Kizzy said:
I had company and it turned out just fine. My company thought I looked like I knew what I was doing. :lmao:

I made it a couple different way and it was way too much cat fish. I used seasoned bread crumbs, not bad. But I found it works better when you dip it in egg, then the mix, then egg and mix again. The breading didn't fall off that way.
Glad it turned out well Kizzy! Another good idea: When ever frying something that is coated w/flour or breadcrumbs (& such) refrigerate afterwards for about 15-30 minutes before frying. Helps the coating stay on even better.