Catholic Church near Lexington Park

frogger

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I'll be moving to the area sometime in Novemeber and was wondering which catholic church you prefer. Something in the Lexington Park, Hollywood, California area would be fine with me. Also is there one where the priest is lively/funny? I don't go to church for the humor, but I find I pay most attention when the priest isn't monotone and seems like he has enthusiasm during his homily. Also a younger crowd of people would be preferred...I'm tired of being surrounded by people that are all 40 years older than me.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by frogger
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I'll be moving to the area sometime in Novemeber and was wondering which catholic church you prefer. Something in the Lexington Park, Hollywood, California area would be fine with me. Also is there one where the priest is lively/funny? I don't go to church for the humor, but I find I pay most attention when the priest isn't monotone and seems like he has enthusiasm during his homily. Also a younger crowd of people would be preferred...I'm tired of being surrounded by people that are all 40 years older than me.

If you can't find a Catholic Church in St. Mary's you are in trouble. There are probably at least 15 of them. As to which has the best priest, I don't know.

Erin

IHM

Welcome. The Immaculate Heart of Mary in Lexington Park is a pretty good church. There is a new priest, he isn't funny, but he isn't monotonous either. He is retired military and seems very knowledgeable about world events. His sermons are relatively current, things happening around us today. He is passionate about the job.
It is a nice church community, everyone is pretty welcoming. The church is very active in community affairs, they donate more than any of the other Catholic Churches in the community.
Now, the younger thing will take some work. Let me know if you can find a younger crowd in a church that practices the worlds oldest religion (excluding children there with their parents).

frogger

justhangn - Thanks, glad to be here. :cheers:

Ken King - I do realize there's quite a few churches here, so it's not a matter of finding one, but rather finding a good one. I'll probably go around to a few before I decide, but I just wanted feedback on a couple to start with.

Erin - Yeah I'll definitely try IHM. It's good to hear that they have an active community role, since I plan on volunteering (I keep saying it and eventually I will!) :biggrin: . Good point about the young thing, however I tend to notice that some churches have a much bigger retired group than others.

Erin

Oldies

Good to hear! They are alright, if you feed them & change them every now and then. (Hee,hee).

BudoPo

Re: IHM

Welcome to the area, Frogger! If I remember correctly, St. Mary's County was originally founded by Catholics, so I'd guess there are plenty of churches from which to choose. Sorry, but I can't help you with which has a lively priest. That definitely helps make for a better service. Good luck with the search.

Originally posted by Erin
Let me know if you can find a younger crowd in a church that practices the worlds oldest religion (excluding children there with their parents).

Um, if you're referring to Catholicism, just a little correction: Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism (if you consider it a religion) are all older than Christianity. Paganism/Wicca are also, if you consider their modern forms a continuation of the ancient traditions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi Frogger! If you must go Catholic, go to Holy Face in Callaway. That's where the movers and shakers go. You'll meet politicians and all kinds of civic minded people. They will volunteer you to death. They almost did me and I didn't even go to their church!

The old Father at IMH sounded like a revivalist preacher - I always enjoyed his sermons.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
IMO--stay clear of Catholic churches. In fact, maybe you should look into Satanism. :rolleyes:

You're just bitter cause you gotta deal with all the pedophiles that roll through your office! :wink: :lmao: