Cauliflower

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Making some dietary changes and decided to try different things with cauliflower. It's pretty bland on its own, but with the right seasonings it can be pretty tasty.

Riced cauliflower - I found some frozen packages from Hanover and picked up a couple. Pop in the microwave for 4 - 4.5 minutes and they are done. Tried the cilantro-lime and Asian stir fry versions, and both were tasty. Note: haven't tried making my own "rice" yet but may try that soon.

Instantpot - Steam for 0 minutes, then instant release. Season with salt/pepper and a little butter. Also with a sprinkle of parmesan.

Oven - roasted with other veggies and glazed with a balsamic vinegar reduction.

Any other ideas?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Making some dietary changes and decided to try different things with cauliflower. It's pretty bland on its own, but with the right seasonings it can be pretty tasty.

Riced cauliflower - I found some frozen packages from Hanover and picked up a couple. Pop in the microwave for 4 - 4.5 minutes and they are done. Tried the cilantro-lime and Asian stir fry versions, and both were tasty. Note: haven't tried making my own "rice" yet but may try that soon.

Instantpot - Steam for 0 minutes, then instant release. Season with salt/pepper and a little butter. Also with a sprinkle of parmesan.

Oven - roasted with other veggies and glazed with a balsamic vinegar reduction.

Any other ideas?

My wife is working on a buffalo cauliflower recipe using our air fryer. Needs some work though. The taste is there but she doesn't have the crispiness down yet. She's tried both flour and Panko crumbs. May have to go full blown batter.

Agee

When you venture over to the wild side and make yourself... Cauliflower in food processor, pulse to desired consistency. Stir-fry, Risotto, Cheesy Cauliflower, Chicken/mushroom/Cauliflower bake (cream of mushroom, chicken soup). etc...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When you venture over to the wild side and make yourself... Cauliflower in food processor, pulse to desired consistency. Stir-fry, Risotto, Cheesy Cauliflower, Chicken/mushroom/Cauliflower bake (cream of mushroom, chicken soup). etc...
I've got to get a food processor bigger than the baby one I have first, else it will take FOREVER. :lol:

Thinking about getting another Kitchenaid as I loved the one I had, but checking out other brands, too. Too many choices! :jameo: Those suggestions sound really good. Love me some risotto. 😋

Agee

I've got to get a food processor bigger than the baby one I have first, else it will take FOREVER. :lol:

Thinking about getting another Kitchenaid as I loved the one I had, but checking out other brands, too. Too many choices! :jameo: Those suggestions sound really good. Love me some risotto. 😋
You know your gadgets 😉

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
So I made a whole head of cauliflower in the Instantpot tonight and it is the bomb. :getdown:

I just cut out the stem, then brushed the entire head with a mix of melted butter, EVOO, garlic, and spices. I had leftover chicken broth in the bottom from the chicken thighs I just did, so I set the head on the rack and set the time for 1 minute, then did a quick release when finished. Placed the steamed head on a baking sheet, sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese, and broiled until lightly brown. 😋

Will definitely be making this again!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
So I made a whole head of cauliflower in the Instantpot tonight and it is the bomb. :getdown:

I just cut out the stem, then brushed the entire head with a mix of melted butter, EVOO, garlic, and spices. I had leftover chicken broth in the bottom from the chicken thighs I just did, so I set the head on the rack and set the time for 1 minute, then did a quick release when finished. Placed the steamed head on a baking sheet, sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese, and broiled until lightly brown. 😋

Will definitely be making this again!
Also, you can use whatever spice mix you wish. I have one that is perfect without overpowering the cauliflower I got from BJ's called "Simply Asia Orange Ginger Garlic Seasoning." I also use a grated Parmesan cheese that is jarred but has no cellulose filler (i.e. sawdust!) called "4C All Natural Parmesan Grated Cheese." You can get it at most grocery stores.

Amazon product

Agee

Also, you can use whatever spice mix you wish. I have one that is perfect without overpowering the cauliflower I got from BJ's called "Simply Asia Orange Ginger Garlic Seasoning." I also use a grated Parmesan cheese that is jarred but has no cellulose filler (i.e. sawdust!) called "4C All Natural Parmesan Grated Cheese." You can get it at most grocery stores.

Amazon product

Thanks for the sawdust (cellulose) reminder, didn't realize until recently that most of the common grated products on the market include this filler...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thanks for the sawdust (cellulose) reminder, didn't realize until recently that most of the common grated products on the market include this filler...
You're welcome. I am trying hard to get most of the crap out of my diet and that include additives and preservatives. I really don't need to be eating a tree a la Euell Gibbons. :lol: (And I wonder how many will get that reference?)

I got a container of the Classico 3-cheese from Giant because it had no sawdust. Eh. Didn't care for the flavor. In the Deli section with the cheeses you'll find small containers of Parm/Asiagio/Romano that are much better.

Thanx for the tip on pre-steaming the cauliflower before roasting. I'd wind up with blackened bread coating and underdone veggie. Never occurred to me to pre-steam. duh.