Cause de Celebre

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm getting old. I'm reminiscing.

When I was a kid :jet: I was a bit of a bleeding heart, tree hugging activist. It used to upset my father to no end. :lol: Anywho, I had lots of spunk and I raised money for Greenpeace to Save the Whales. I marched against and protested a nuclear waste dump. I worried to no end about them poor starving babies in Africa. I Held Hands Across America. I tried to save the trees from clear cutting. I worked with Planned Parenthood and handed out free condoms to my classmates for the AIDS. I also tried to convince my community health department they should be handing out clean needles. I wanted to set the monkeys and rabbits free from medical testing and protested that too. I tossed my cans of hairspray to save the ozone layer. :lmao: :roflmao: Oh the things I did. The things I believed in.

I've grown, I've evolved. The whales are still around. So are the trees, and AIDS and dying kids in Africa, animal testing, and even the ozone layer.

However, for more than a decade, the only "cause" hitting the mainstream has been Global warming, aka climate change. There's nothing else that seems to attract attention from celebrities or even the government or even activists. However, there's a lot happening out in the world that could use a good rousing round of protesting. Yet it appears nobody has the energy or gumption. It's as if we are all blasé. At most, we click like and share. Now, there are exceptions. I know there are people who do their part for what they believe in. It just appears there isn't any protesting unity for lack of a better description.

Is this a symptom of our society? Apathy worries me more than global warming. :ohwell:

How about you? Any causes you fought for or against? Any other peaceniks become a Libertarian? Or uber conservative? Or vice versus?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to be a lot more idealistic, then I became a crusty pragmatic, and now I'm somewhat apathetic. I feel I'm being constantly lied to by politicians and the media, so I really don't know what to believe because I no longer trust anyone to tell me the truth. I pretty much live in my own little world and only believe what I know to be a fact because I've seen it first hand.

Bonehead

I used to be a lot more idealistic, then I became a crusty pragmatic, and now I'm somewhat apathetic. I feel I'm being constantly lied to by politicians and the media, so I really don't know what to believe because I no longer trust anyone to tell me the truth. I pretty much live in my own little world and only believe what I know to be a fact because I've seen it first hand.

What she said ^

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
How about you? Any causes you fought for or against? Any other peaceniks become a Libertarian? Or uber conservative? Or vice versus?

"Split wood, not atoms!!!" God I was so naive.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I was a kid we were always running around. All the kids in the neighborhood got together and played games. The games were co-ed until the boys got too big and rough. We fought at times but remained friends. You played in neighborhood sport leagues. We walked to practice. I don't remember any kids on medication. Most were thin and we only had 1 kid that was 'husky'. We collect returnable soda bottles, raked leaves, cut grass and shoveled snow for pocket change.

Now I never see kids playing outside anymore. Parents have kids in all sorts of afterschool programs. Travel teams that take up so much time. Parents hover over their kids, protecting them from every imaginable boogie man. No wonder many children have failure to launch later in life.

I'm not sure how you get celebrities involved in letting kids be kids.

Roman

When I was a kid we were always running around. All the kids in the neighborhood got together and played games. The games were co-ed until the boys got too big and rough. We fought at times but remained friends. You played in neighborhood sport leagues. We walked to practice. I don't remember any kids on medication. Most were thin and we only had 1 kid that was 'husky'. We collect returnable soda bottles, raked leaves, cut grass and shoveled snow for pocket change.

Now I never see kids playing outside anymore. Parents have kids in all sorts of afterschool programs. Travel teams that take up so much time. Parents hover over their kids, protecting them from every imaginable boogie man. No wonder many children have failure to launch later in life.

I'm not sure how you get celebrities involved in letting kids be kids.
The only time we stayed in the house when I was a kid, was when you were either sick, or on restriction. We came in to eat, and after dinner we could stay out until the street lights came on.