Ceiling Fan needs a problem solver

Chris0nllyn

Single switch,...a remote should be able to turn on both light & speed of fan...and, its as effective at the Clinton Foundation's aid to Haiti.

Did you set the remote and fan to the same channel?

Is it just 2 wire to the fan or 3 wire?

He hasn't replied back, hopefully he didn't get zapped during the re-do

BernieP

Resident PIA
REDO!
Should have read all the way to the end. Looks like all the obvious mistakes have been covered.
Oh, and dear grumpy, checking the breaker isn't a bad idea, if he has a short, the breaker will the thrown.

Goldenhawk

REDO!
Should have read all the way to the end. Looks like all the obvious mistakes have been covered.
Oh, and dear grumpy, checking the breaker isn't a bad idea, if he has a short, the breaker will the thrown.
Of course, he SHOULD have turned off the breaker before doing the wiring job in the first place... and it would have (hopefully) been obvious that it tripped when he turned it back on...

Grumpy

REDO!

Dear BernieP, you should always check twice when calling someone out.

yer friend, Grumpy

Hessian

The receiver has 2 wires connecting to the power source (blue & white) And THREE wires connecting to the electric fan/light...AND one antennae that is peaking out of the top housing. I suspect that all those wires crammed into the box & the receiver housing are the root of the problem.

Waiting for a friend of the family to see if they want to tear into it. Fans NEVER seem to be a one-person job. So...I'll be ready with the flashlight, wire strippers, and phillips head screw driver....(and just for the record,....color blindness adds a layer of concern to this project, hence my reliance on others!):yikes:

General Lee

The receiver has 2 wires connecting to the power source (blue & white) And THREE wires connecting to the electric fan/light...AND one antennae that is peaking out of the top housing. I suspect that all those wires crammed into the box & the receiver housing are the root of the problem.

Waiting for a friend of the family to see if they want to tear into it. Fans NEVER seem to be a one-person job. So...I'll be ready with the flashlight, wire strippers, and phillips head screw driver....(and just for the record,....color blindness adds a layer of concern to this project, hence my reliance on others!):yikes:

It really does boil down to just connecting the right wires to the right wires. I'd almost be willing to bet, cramming all the wires back in the junction box, caused one to come loose.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Post photos of the wiring at the fan and at the switch(es), so we can see which wire is attached where.

My fans have:

-- Wall switch for lights
-- Wall switch for fan
-- Fan on/off switch (on fan)
-- Fan speed select (on fan)
-- Fan forward/reverse (on/fan)

So, make sure wall switch and on-fan switches are on.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
No, I design aircraft electrical systems and there are many times that people complain something did not work in OFF mode.
LOL so true, people think it's a joke when you had to ask, "did you plug it in?", "Was the connector on?"
When it comes to helping someone isolate a problem, there is no such thing as a dumb question, you can never assume.
I read or heard a story that "help desk" people had a code for such problems, ID Ten T

BernieP

Resident PIA
Dear BernieP, you should always check twice when calling someone out.

yer friend, Grumpy
I wasn't calling you out, I was referring to a certain nayser.
I did check twice, I was going to pile on to PE's suggestion of checking breakers, but then noticed people had chimed in with pretty every item to check / recheck. Sorry if you thought I was calling you out, I was referring to that individual who thought it dumb to suggest checking breakers.

Chris0nllyn

Sounds like a Harbor Breeze fan?

You likely need to not hook up the switched hot (unless you want the wall switch to turn off power to the fan) and tie the white and blue together with the black from the wall switch.

nutz

I’m surprised not to see; carbon based rudder pedal to joystick interface is defective

Hessian

Final update: when squeezing in the remote receiver,...it apparently pushed the hot wire out ...thus NO power. Fortunately my electrically gifted friend spotted that in 5 minutes when we began disassembly. Quick fix, gentle refit...and bingo, we have light & fan. Thanks for your advice folks.