Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Someone else pays for my cellular phone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a cellular phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ok so Motorola decided to not make deals with the major carriers for their newest phone that was to be released in September. They planned to just have consumers buy the phone from them for $400, and have the phone already setup to work with any of the "major" carriers.

Many people are switching to prepaid services due to the discounts they can get. What says the people of SoMD? Prepaid vs. Credit-Based Account? Is either better in terms of the reception? I see Sprint offering me a NEW phone upgrade if I pay $15 a month to "lease" it (and sign another contract probably).

I'm thinking I should buy my own phone outright and get one of those prepaid plans? Instead of paying $155 a month for 2 smartphones, I could be paying $100 a month or less for them elsewhere.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Ok so Motorola decided to not make deals with the major carriers for their newest phone that was to be released in September. They planned to just have consumers buy the phone from them for $400, and have the phone already setup to work with any of the "major" carriers.

Many people are switching to prepaid services due to the discounts they can get. What says the people of SoMD? Prepaid vs. Credit-Based Account? Is either better in terms of the reception? I see Sprint offering me a NEW phone upgrade if I pay $15 a month to "lease" it (and sign another contract probably).

I'm thinking I should buy my own phone outright and get one of those prepaid plans? Instead of paying $155 a month for 2 smartphones, I could be paying $100 a month or less for them elsewhere.

Technology is a rip-off happening, and waiting to happen even more extensively. The free market kind of thingy, right? But, hey, we just have to have it, you know. Technology tells us so, right?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Technology is a rip-off happening, and waiting to happen even more extensively. The free market kind of thingy, right? But, hey, we just have to have it, you know. Technology tells us so, right?

I actually benefit greatly by having a smart phone. If I didn't have it, I'd need a new computer at home, and I don't tend to buy cheap computers. By the time I add on all the upgrades to the basic computer, I end up with a $1,500-$2,000 build. Of course the convenience of having a smart phone on the go is also helpful.

hitchicken

I use Tracfone pre-paid. I have an LG L41C smart phone with triple minutes, text and data running Android 4.4.2. Minutes, text, data accumulate year to year. I have over 4000 minutes of text and 4G of data, 3500 minutes of call time. I use the MagicJack app with my wifi to save minutes. I use my wifi a lot to save on calls, texts and data.

Phone: Right now about $80.
Prepaid: $109 per year for triple everything.
MagicJack app: about $15 per year.

Cost per month after buying phone works out less than $11 per month.

Last edited:
The pre-paid or pay-by-month phones are really no different in terms of coverage and carriers than the major carriers. I have Straight Talk service using my own Samsung phone. Straight Talk is actually a Tracfone (you can see the Tracfone logo on power up). They use the Verizon network backbone for service. So my Straight Talk phone works no differently than a Verizon contract phone. Same carrier, same coverage, but my cost for service is lower.

You just need to ask (or look it up online) as to whos backbone service the phone will be using.

PeoplesElbow

You can guy a phone outright and it doesn't have to be used on prepaid. I used prepaid for years, then I decided I wanted an expensive phone for free, that was a mistake. Soon as my contract was up I went back to prepaid with AT&T and have had the exact same service that I did under a contract. I can use any AT&T or unlocked phone that I want.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Foxhound got me interested in Straight Talk when he went to it earlier this year. I have a phone which was purchased, and pay $45.00 a month for unlimited everything and the first 5GB are highspeed.

There are several sites where you can buy refurbed or used phones and I find that totally worth it. It keeps me from contracting with Verizon but lets me use their network. I would never pay 100s for a phone. I love my technology and will always be connected at home and on the go but used phones for me only. Im never carrying the latest and greatest but Ive never had a problem or felt I lacked an app or speed or anything really. I tried trac phone and straight talk both. I can NOT stand not getting someone that speaks English when I need it. Also- I dont like keeping track of when service ends to re-up. Id rather just have my phone connected. Any phone I want- not proprietary bs.

There are tons of choices in being connected. I have researched and tried different options. I found the best price and situation for a family to all have phones constantly connected and enough minutes, data, etc. Everyone has to do their research and find their best deal. It was not cheaper for each of us to have a phone through pay as you go, so we're still with a very old plan from Verizon and its working out well.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I actually benefit greatly by having a smart phone. If I didn't have it, I'd need a new computer at home, and I don't tend to buy cheap computers. By the time I add on all the upgrades to the basic computer, I end up with a $1,500-$2,000 build. Of course the convenience of having a smart phone on the go is also helpful.

Good 'nuff. Are you saying your smartphone is better, more powerful than any typical HP/Dell/Lenovo, etc., desktop PC or laptop, with standard processing capabilities today? Those are everywhere, and extremely affordable way below your price line, and the only thing they do not beat the smartphones in is portability. That in itself makes the SP pretty powerful, but not the end all. My comment about "we gotta have it" pretty much describes our bondage to technology, and wanting to have the newest toys just because, does it not?

Concern4Calvert

I have a prepaid blackberry phone. I only use my phone for phone calls and texting.

I pay $ 30.00 per month with AT&T GoPhone and that includes Unlimited Talk & Text only.
There is no data allowance whatsoever; that is fine by me.. If I find myself needing to browse the web I connect to WiFi at home/office. It just didn't make sense to carry a data plan when I'm thoroughly covered by WiFi 99% of my day.

I was paying 125 for my Verizon iPhone prior to this. I'm glad I made the switch when my contract expired.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Many people are switching to prepaid services due to the discounts they can get.

I bought a One PLUS 1 - 6 months ago, after hearing rave reviews from Foxhound
... yeah I had to pony up $ 350 bucks, but I paid more than that for my last 2 64gb iPhones

and I OWN this free and clear ... I have been using straight talk - for 45 bucks a month
- although I don't really have nice things to say about them, because they still don't have MMS setup correctly .... but data works as does making phone calls

I am thinking of switching to TING ... you only pay for what you use , not a flat fee for all you don't eat

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I bought a One PLUS 1 - 6 months ago, after hearing rave reviews from Foxhound
... yeah I had to pony up $ 350 bucks, but I paid more than that for my last 2 64gb iPhones

and I OWN this free and clear ... I have been using straight talk - for 45 bucks a month
- although I don't really have nice things to say about them, because they still don't have MMS setup correctly .... but data works as does making phone calls

I am thinking of switching to TING ... you only pay for what you use , not a flat fee for all you don't eat

What's wrong with the MMS? We send and receive text messages and pics just fine. :confused:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
After 15 plus years of contract and pre-paid plans, I have found the best deal with Total Wireless.

Two LG whatever smartphones were 40 each. Monthly service for both with unlimited talk and text and 5G of data shared is just under $64 after tax and 911 fees.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Good 'nuff. Are you saying your smartphone is better, more powerful than any typical HP/Dell/Lenovo, etc., desktop PC or laptop, with standard processing capabilities today? Those are everywhere, and extremely affordable way below your price line, and the only thing they do not beat the smartphones in is portability. That in itself makes the SP pretty powerful, but not the end all. My comment about "we gotta have it" pretty much describes our bondage to technology, and wanting to have the newest toys just because, does it not?

I can't afford to get the new toys. I preferred my old Motorola Photon (lost it at the recycle center in Waldorf) but they changed it and the newer version had a slide out keyboard which I didn't want. So I ended up switching to Samsung Galaxy 5 which I still have. Despite paying a fortune for the OtterBox case, I dropped it face down on my gravel driveway, broke the screen, and I've been using it broken for the past 2 years. No more $100 special phone upgrades anymore hmmm now what to do? I don't want to "rent" a phone. I like owning the phone. I guess I'd be ok just replacing my S5? It'd be cheaper for me probably.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
After 15 plus years of contract and pre-paid plans, I have found the best deal with Total Wireless.

Two LG whatever smartphones were 40 each. Monthly service for both with unlimited talk and text and 5G of data shared is just under $64 after tax and 911 fees.

That sounds like a decent deal. Will the phone handle 3 email accounts?

I can't afford to get the new toys. I preferred my old Motorola Photon (lost it at the recycle center in Waldorf) but they changed it and the newer version had a slide out keyboard which I didn't want. So I ended up switching to Samsung Galaxy 5 which I still have. Despite paying a fortune for the OtterBox case, I dropped it face down on my gravel driveway, broke the screen, and I've been using it broken for the past 2 years. No more $100 special phone upgrades anymore hmmm now what to do? I don't want to "rent" a phone. I like owning the phone. I guess I'd be ok just replacing my S5? It'd be cheaper for me probably.
There's a bunch of places around that will replace the broken screen. No need to replace it.