Celtic Festival canceled for 2021

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From their FB page:

The Southern Maryland Celtic Festival and Highland Gathering was scheduled for April 24, 2021 at Jefferson Patterson Park in St. Leonard.

"County Health Department requirements have caused the cancellation of this event. We're now targeting a Come Back Festival for April 30, 2022."

:bawl:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What really, REALLY sucks about the cancellation is that "re starting" is so hard due to loss of sponsors, volunteers and patrons. I hope I'm wrong since we are planning on re starting a couple of our events this year.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What really, REALLY sucks about the cancellation is that "re starting" is so hard due to loss of sponsors, volunteers and patrons. I hope I'm wrong since we are planning on re starting a couple of our events this year.
It does and I totally agree. Will people be so scared to even attend? Will the sponsors even still BE in business? Will the volunteers still be willing to give of their time? What hoops will they have to jump through to even be able to hold the event?

If you look at their FB page under the discussion after announcing the cancellation again, they echoed a lot of those sentiments:

"Yeah, after we made our proposal, they (the Health Department) came back with even more requirements, which would have been disastrous. So, we're looking toward next year. How much support we get (volunteers to work it, members and leaders for the Society and the Festival) will decide things, all other things being equal."

"Our new Steering Committee Chair worked really hard, after last year's cancellation, to make this happen. She and her co-chair deserve a lot of credit for getting us this close to pulling it off. To pull it off next year, we will need much more than hopes and wishes--since we're a non-profit, we depend on good folks stepping up and working. "

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm amazed that you all are still held hostage like this. There's no reason why an outdoor event can't be held. People at this point are used to social distancing and do it reflexively, and those who are nervous about the rona will just stay home. It makes no sense to cancel these things.

Lockdown Larry appears to be enjoying his power way too much.

Grumpy

Me, being in the danger zone for this crap, really haven't given it a 2nd thought. I was surprised back in October when we(family) was able to do our annual family golf tourney and found that half of the people (~30) that participated were scared to death of this crap. They played, but with masks, and afterwards, those that stayed, were always shouting from 6 feet away and if you walked towards them, it struck fear in their eyes.

I have yet to hear anything that changes my mind about the best way to deal with this is herd immunity.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Me, being in the danger zone for this crap, really haven't given it a 2nd thought. I was surprised back in October when we(family) was able to do our annual family golf tourney and found that half of the people (~30) that participated were scared to death of this crap. They played, but with masks, and afterwards, those that stayed, were always shouting from 6 feet away and if you walked towards them, it struck fear in their eyes.

I have yet to hear anything that changes my mind about the best way to deal with this is herd immunity.

Agree - I'm also high risk. I have CKD stage #3a in my only functioning kidney. I'll be damned if I am going to live my life in fear. I wash my hands, take Vit D3 everyday, B12 and Zinc every other day, cover my mouth and nose if I cough or sneeze and wear a mask when going into stores and such but being outside? no...

Wearing a mask is unhealthy if worn for long periods of time and that is a fact. It is false security. When I was working, it was my younger staff that I noticed projected the most fear. :(

Not to sound terribly mean but the lack of basic understanding of microbiology kills me. Down the street from my house, there is a man who works the drive up window selling alcohol and cigarettes wearing rubber gloves. So he picks up all the germs from person to person and spreads them. I had some on staff wearing rubber gloves and had to stop this practice. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the safety measures makes things worse. The only thing I have stopped doing is hugging people which I never really was a fan of anyway. :lmao:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
From their FB page:

The Southern Maryland Celtic Festival and Highland Gathering was scheduled for April 24, 2021 at Jefferson Patterson Park in St. Leonard.

"County Health Department requirements have caused the cancellation of this event. We're now targeting a Come Back Festival for April 30, 2022."

The requirements are really quite daunting for these events.
It's crazy that this sh*t is still going on.

ginwoman

Or the mass hysteria being whipped up by Dr. Faux-ci, et. al. People are glued to the news and shoveling this crap in every day for hours on end. It just needs to stop.
Each time I flick past channel 4, 5, 7, 9, its COVID COVID COVID. I keep on flicking and watch two and a half men or something. But when people watch this shiat a lot it makes them overly anxious IMHO

ginwoman

From their FB page:

I didn't know So MD had a Celtic Festival. Bet that's cool. Shame its been cancelled.