Cerakote

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I believe Legion Rifles may do so. ( Based on a conversation I had with a Sanners member a while back. )

You could also call J2 Defense and see if they do or if they can provide a name.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Never heard of it until now. Just looked it up and it looks interesting.

It's flat amazing stuff. I do my own gunsmithing and started doing my own Cerakote work about 4 years ago. I need a bigger oven though. The FDE Cerakote on the lower of this 6.5 Grendel rifle was one of the earliest I did that came out right. The process is quite picky/precise..but worth it. You can see two different types of "fail" in the other pic of a lower. Has both "holidays" and "fish eyeing" mistakes.

Chris0nllyn

If anyone has contact information of someone local that does Cerakoting, please let me know. Trying to get a shotgun barrel and receiver done before Christmas.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They should be a good choice. The ones that do it in these here parts are still amateurs .
Such as..who? I've only heard of one guy doing Cerakote locally that does it for others and heard he's pretty good at it. It's not "rocket surgery" though.....it's just another bake-cured coating process and you have to get every step right. Once you've got it down, it's very repeatable. I ended up buying a small touch-up spray gun just for Cerakote and after playing with nozzle size, air adjustments and technique and it works great every time.

General Lee

Such as..who? I've only heard of one guy doing Cerakote locally that does it for others and heard he's pretty good at it. It's not "rocket surgery" though.....it's just another bake-cured coating process and you have to get every step right. Once you've got it down, it's very repeatable. I ended up buying a small touch-up spray gun just for Cerakote and after playing with nozzle size, air adjustments and technique and it works great every time.

Legion for one. - Amateur. Can he do it? Yes but I myself would look else where. Some may be able to do it and "be ok" at it, but me personally would want someone who specializes in it if I was cerakoting a nice or beloved firearm. I just don't know anyone in this area that I'd trust doing it. Maybe there is though.

black dog

Free America
It wouldnt surprise me if these guys in White Plains dont shoot Cerakote along with the Powder and ceramic they offer.

CUSTOM FUNCTIONZ OFFERS CUSTOM AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES! WE SPECIALIZE IN POWDER COAT, CERAMIC COAT, HYDROGRAPHICS, AIR RIDE, PARTS/WHEELS/TIRES SALES & INSTALL

Who ever one leaves a firearm with overnight to Cerakote, make sure they have an FFL.

Chris0nllyn

They should be a good choice. The ones that do it in these here parts are still amateurs .

They were reasonably priced and it includes disassembly and reassembly of the firearm. He scratches it putting it back together and it's on him to fix.

My dad lent me his trusty 870 many years ago and it's in rough shape. I'm going to get the barrel and receiver coated then refinish the 30 year-old wood and give it to him for Christmas. Gun Metal told me a 1 week turnaround.

black dog

Free America

I thought there was two guys that were doing it in Mechanicsville, I recall a conversation at Olivers North one afternoon.

Chris0nllyn

It wouldnt surprise me if these guys in White Plains dont shoot Cerakote along with the Powder and ceramic they offer.

CUSTOM FUNCTIONZ OFFERS CUSTOM AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES! WE SPECIALIZE IN POWDER COAT, CERAMIC COAT, HYDROGRAPHICS, AIR RIDE, PARTS/WHEELS/TIRES SALES & INSTALL

Who ever one leaves a firearm with overnight to Cerakote, make sure they have an FFL.

I don't trust any company who puts a "Z" in their name.

black dog

Free America

LOL,,, They do top-shelf work.
I have had them ceramic a few things for me over the years and I will say the powder coating they do is ****ing impressive.

Its like going to PRS guitars in Annapolis and watching the man-bun,tattooed,millennial,pierced,gauged young people build just unbelievable guitars.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

And that ...is why, even after getting the process down well, I don't offer to coat (or do any other work) on anyone else's firearm. I used to...but the ATF really started cracking on various stuff like that. I'm getting my FFL, but not for my Maryland address. It will be attached to my commercial property in southern VA.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good one. But to be fair about it...Cerakote has made big inroads in to the automotive performance coating arena too. In fact, that's the main reason I want a much bigger oven...not for firearm parts.

black dog

Free America
And that ...is why, even after getting the process down well, I don't offer to coat (or do any other work) on anyone else's firearm. I used to...but the ATF really started cracking on various stuff like that. I'm getting my FFL, but not for my Maryland address. It will be attached to my commercial property in southern VA.

Yep, I have thought many times about getting a 03 and a 07 and build a bunch of postie samples to play with an loan out to local LE.
I just dont like the liability in todays environment, I think it would bring to much awareness to what is on the property.
I like my circle the size it is now.

Bonehead

That is a smart decision. Maryland is way too intrusive. I ditched my FFL in 1985.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That is a smart decision. Maryland is way too intrusive. I ditched my FFL in 1985.
I've got a nice older commercial building right on Rt 58 west of Danville and when I get the second story on it, then I'll have a first floor shop (it was oringally a fire house...built super heavy..and later an automotive repair shop) and office/retail/clean room space on the second floor. I do not plan on staying in MD much longer anyway. Family arrived 1650...ahma leaving last at around 2025..we had a nice 375 year run. But it's time for it to be over. My younger sister lives next to my commercial property on 58 and my elderly mother lives with her when she's not here visiting (we keep an apartment for her). Older sister and husband are in WV now.