Changing Bits?

blueeyedangel

I'm trying to get my horse rounded and on the bit.

So far, he really doesn't care and he thinks it's the stupidest idea he's ever heard of. Once I've got him into "work" mode though, he's really wonderful about working his hind end and bringing his head down.

However, when I ask him to trot, the head goes flying up again. I've had a vet check and there's nothing wrong with him or his tack. So, is it possible that he doesn't like the bit? And if so, what bit would you reccomend? He's a really easy going, young horse and I don't want to put anything too harsh in his mouth. I have him on a D ring with copper rollers right now. [See http://www.dansboots.com/dansboots/assets/product_images/bitdroller.jpg for a picture]

Any help is appreciated. =]

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I personally would bit him and round pen him for 5 days a week for 2 weeks then get on him. Alot of getting them moving from the hind quarters and into the bit is your leg. For bending at the pole and getting on the vertical I like to bit for a couple weeks..People will all have a different idea..see my thread for Happy I posted a pic of my new boy getting bitted for the first time today..will post a new pic in a few days.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
blueeyedangel said:
Okay. =] Thanks! I'll definitely try it.

Have someone show you how to do it properly ...do you have anyone at your barn that knows how to bit a young horse and show you how?

DQ2B

If he's young and green, some head movement at the transitions is normal and is most probably a balance issue. Does he continue to toss his head after you've achieved the transition? The round pen or a lunge line asking for lots of transitions is a good idea. You might introduce side reins (loose at first) if you haven't already and get the transitions smooth without a rider first. The momentary lifting of the head in a transition tells you that he is using his front end instead of the (correct) back end of his body. When you do get on him, stay on a large circle and use your inside rein to ask him to bring his head down while keeping soft connection on the outside rein (no peanut rolling please and no nose behind the verticle), just "long and low" as the term goes. Alternate using the inside rein to ask him to come down and then leg to push his hind legs up.

As far as the bit goes, while I don't think bits make any miraculous differences in general, I always seem to go back to the KK Ultra with my horses.

Take it slow, give him plenty of time to figure out what you want. Good luck and let us kno whow it goes.

devinej

totally normal situation i'd say for beginning to work on the bit. don't worry about changing the bit, work with what you have - the best for this is the gentlest bit possible.
before trying the side reins and riding here's what i'd do: the ABC's of riding on the bit begins with this:
on the ground, with the bit in his mouth, stand by his side like where you'd stand to mount. hold the one rein on that side, and put a little pressure on it till he moves his head toward you therefore releasing the pressure. then you let go of the rein and reward him. do this many many times until he moves his head as soon as you put the teensiest amount of pressure on the rein.

make sure you do both sides and when you ask him, make sure you sweep your hand up to where your hands would be when you are riding him.

after he's good at this, then start to work with both reins and get him to ask him to bend at the pole. still on the ground, hold both reins up high where your hands would be when riding and apply gentle pressure to his mouth until he moves his head to release it.

VERY IMPORTANT: during these first stages: as soon as he releases the pressure in the correct way - let go of the reins and pet him and reward him. you must develop really good timing with this so he gets the reward immediately when he does gives his head: give reward give reward. etc.

after doing this, i'd move to side reins. you can reward him for giving to the side reins by letting him walk. then go back to work. if he's really resistant about stretching his neck out, you can attach the side reins to the girth at the bottom of his chest. if he's resistant to just one side or the other, you can go both directions using just one side rein, or make one side tighter than the other, but make sure you go both directions with it that way.

i like to use the side reins with the elastic in them (dover saddlery's brand is great). they tend not to lean on these.

then go to riding and hopefully it will be a whole new horse!

Eventer29

Id do some ground work like said above. when you get to the riding and asking him, make sure you are not using only rein pressure to get him to round/soften, use leg to push him up into the contact.Hold the rein and leg firmly till he gives the teensiest bit, then reward by releasing quickly. with most horses I find you almost have to use more leg than hand. Some i have found it easier to get the round bendiness i want at the canter first, because they have more natural impulsion and it usually takes less leg. Also make sure you are not moving your body too much and making him anxious in his transitions. If you tense up at all, and change you position a whole lot when you ask for a transition it makes it harder for him to relax and go ballanced into the gait. Since he is young i wouldnt expect him to stay soft and round through every transition, esp till he learns to do it with in the gaits. Keep working, stay patient, he will get it.

bosox

too little info

is given for a proper suggestion but maybe other's here know your horse. I don't know how old your horse is except young...what type of riding you do...or what your goals are...and when you'd like to accomplish them.

I'd suggest if he is young...that your objective should not be to get your horse on the bit but to follow the training scale for horses...I may be off track w/what your goals are or what level you ride at...but contact for a young horse...or a greenbean...is not sought after in the lower levels of dressage. The goal is relaxation...then rhythm. Then...your horse would be more accepting of the bit and not think it is "stupid". Too often people think the goal is head carriage...and some get a pretty pix...but the horse is not working through their back and there will be issues later on at the more difficult movements.

blueeyedangel

bosox said:
is given for a proper suggestion but maybe other's here know your horse. I don't know how old your horse is except young...what type of riding you do...or what your goals are...and when you'd like to accomplish them.

I'd suggest if he is young...that your objective should not be to get your horse on the bit but to follow the training scale for horses...I may be off track w/what your goals are or what level you ride at...but contact for a young horse...or a greenbean...is not sought after in the lower levels of dressage. The goal is relaxation...then rhythm. Then...your horse would be more accepting of the bit and not think it is "stupid". Too often people think the goal is head carriage...and some get a pretty pix...but the horse is not working through their back and there will be issues later on at the more difficult movements.

That's exactly what I'm working on - getting him to move from behind so that his back is round and then he's more on the bit. =] And he just turned 5.

devinej

yay!! i hope it continues to work :)

about using the leg to get him to give:

eventually once he's good at giving to the hand, you want to use leg to make sure he's going forward in his gates WHILE giving. and practice adding left leg pressure when you are bending him to the left, and right leg pressure when bending to the right, and eventually, adding leg pressure will mean give and bend to him.

i like to practice bending while riding - like going down the rail at a walk/trot, whatever you are ready for, ask him to give his head to the right for a step (and up to lots of steps) - and let go when you want but make sure before you let go that he is not leaning, or pulling on the bit. that he it "light" in your hand and not weighing you down, or balancing on your hands.

this in return means that you must not balance on his mouth using the reins. a good way to make sure you don't do this is by riding without reins (one at a time at first), just tie them in a knot and practice trotting and cantering, two point (jumping position) etc just by balance - get good enough so that you can go from sitting to really really tall standing up to way low jockey position without losing your balance, falling on your hands or butt.

have fun:)