Charging your electric vehicle - a window to the wonder

glhs837

Power with Control
Does that figure include new tires every 10k miles?

I would have to go look, but I think it uses owner reported data, which will vary. I think the average is 20-30k. They are heavy cars and use softer rubber than some folks might, I think. I'll take a peek later on. I wonder what tires the Cybertruck will come with. Of course the Real Truck Guys (tm) insist that if it doesn't come on 36 Mud Bloggers, it's a piece of trash :) Of course, they also insist if it can't tow like an F750, you might as well crush it. Literally had one guy tell me it needs to be able to tow a Cat D5 or it's useless.

DaSDGuy

Not always. Right now the tech is not ready for prime time, but in years to come it will supplant ICE engines. New storage tech will be found, even the possibility of a new, yet unknown power source negating the need for batteries, like a major breakthrough of portable fusion, which would also negate the fossil fuel needed for manufacturing.
And yet people are demanding EV legislation when the "New Storage Tech" as you call it doesn't exist. Years to come. Yeah, right.
In the software development world we call that vaporware, because it is nothing more than mouth exhaust words that have little if any possibility of existing in real life. Portable fusion??? Do you really expect people to accept a small nuclear reactor sitting inside the vehicle with them?

glhs837

Power with Control
Does that figure include new tires every 10k miles?

So this is a decent video, although 40K isnt realistic for tires. Neither is 10K, I think. 20 is where I think the average sits. So take his tire cost and double it, and you still end up $1000 to the good against a Camry.

Like every car I've ever owned, I change the tires after the first set. I expect a Tesla would be no different. The SRT Chargers first 100K, I went through a set every 20-25K, except the silly high traction compound ones I was given to review. Those only lasted a glorious 15K :)

PeoplesElbow

So this is a decent video, although 40K isnt realistic for tires. Neither is 10K, I think. 20 is where I think the average sits. So take his tire cost and double it, and you still end up $1000 to the good against a Camry.

Like every car I've ever owned, I change the tires after the first set. I expect a Tesla would be no different. The SRT Chargers first 100K, I went through a set every 20-25K, except the silly high traction compound ones I was given to review. Those only lasted a glorious 15K :)
I've always gotten 50k+ on tires, except for the cheap ass ones my dad would put on his car. Average tire replacement seems to be in the $800-$1200 range, it's the most expensive part of car maintenance I've had in 30 years.

A little cheaper in southern MD since I dont need snow tires here.

My opinion the problem is the unadjustable camber, inside s of the tires wear bad.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've always gotten 50k+ on tires, except for the cheap ass ones my dad would put on his car. Average tire replacement seems to be in the $800-$1200 range, it's the most expensive part of car maintenance I've had in 30 years.

A little cheaper in southern MD since I dont need snow tires here.

My opinion the problem is the unadjustable camber, inside s of the tires wear bad.

Agree, I generally get better than expected wear from my tires. But, as noted, if you use 25-30K for the Tesla tire wear, your TCO is still much lower. Of course, these calculations take into account following manufacturer (not dealership) recommendations as once you start positing owner performed maint your calculations go sideways. Lots of folks might do oil changes. But brake fluid flush, differential service? Your options get messy.

Even without that adjustment, people are getting reasonable wear for a car that weighs that much and the softness of the stock rubber.

I might look for a tire from Vredstein or Hankook, both brands I used on the SRTs and they did quite well.

PeoplesElbow

Agree, I generally get better than expected wear from my tires. But, as noted, if you use 25-30K for the Tesla tire wear, your TCO is still much lower. Of course, these calculations take into account following manufacturer (not dealership) recommendations as once you start positing owner performed maint your calculations go sideways. Lots of folks might do oil changes. But brake fluid flush, differential service? Your options get messy.

Even without that adjustment, people are getting reasonable wear for a car that weighs that much and the softness of the stock rubber.

I might look for a tire from Vredstein or Hankook, both brands I used on the SRTs and they did quite well.
I've always had good luck with Cooper's, my friend owns a garage that primarily sells them. The CS5 is a good touring tire, and evolutions for the truck.

glhs837

Power with Control
And yet people are demanding EV legislation when the "New Storage Tech" as you call it doesn't exist. Years to come. Yeah, right.
In the software development world we call that vaporware, because it is nothing more than mouth exhaust words that have little if any possibility of existing in real life. Portable fusion??? Do you really expect people to accept a small nuclear reactor sitting inside the vehicle with them?

Okay, what exactly are you responding to? Big thread, lots of posts. If by new storage tech, you mean deployed battery grid storage, it certainly does exist and the industry has crazy growth. And it's not about govt subsidies driving this, like Marylands failed solar bullshit. Energy producers realize that batteries are far less expensive to build than peaker plants, require no fuel, and respond much much faster. In Australia, where a grid was under such peak pressure that it was notorious for browning out, Tesla built the Hornsdale Big Battery for a French company, which is making them money while stabilizing the grid and reducing brown/blackout.

"Grid battery energy storage market fundamentals proved to be adequately strong against the COVID-19 turmoil. In 2020, the global market expanded 47.3% with 2.4 GW of new power capacity. A robust outlook is expected for the decade ahead. The publisher forecasts the annual power capacity to reach 19.3 GW by 2030, amounting to 134.6 GW/437.4 GWh of cumulated capacity, and the annual investment to rise from $2 billion in 2020 to $15.94 billion by 2030."

Tesla has sold out of grid storage products through all of 2022. Business is strong.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've always had good luck with Cooper's, my friend owns a garage that primarily sells them. The CS5 is a good touring tire, and evolutions for the truck.

I think that's what we put on the sons project XJ project. Good tires. I always look at them, but generally there's one attribute I'm after that precludes them. Not always the same one, as I weight things differently for each vehicles purpose. The beater 2001 BMW that cost $1500 bucks? Cost and life. The 98 328 convertible, trade some life for handling, winter capability not required :)

DaSDGuy

Okay, what exactly are you responding to? Big thread, lots of posts. If by new storage tech, you mean deployed battery grid storage, it certainly does exist and the industry has crazy growth. And it's not about govt subsidies driving this, like Marylands failed solar bullshit. Energy producers realize that batteries are far less expensive to build than peaker plants, require no fuel, and respond much much faster. In Australia, where a grid was under such peak pressure that it was notorious for browning out, Tesla built the Hornsdale Big Battery for a French company, which is making them money while stabilizing the grid and reducing brown/blackout.

"Grid battery energy storage market fundamentals proved to be adequately strong against the COVID-19 turmoil. In 2020, the global market expanded 47.3% with 2.4 GW of new power capacity. A robust outlook is expected for the decade ahead. The publisher forecasts the annual power capacity to reach 19.3 GW by 2030, amounting to 134.6 GW/437.4 GWh of cumulated capacity, and the annual investment to rise from $2 billion in 2020 to $15.94 billion by 2030."

Tesla has sold out of grid storage products through all of 2022. Business is strong.

I will respond to the part of your post that I have bolded.
My response you obviously didn't thoroughly read started with a post by Sneakers that apparently has been deleted. Maybe you should ask why that happened instead of asking me to do your homework for you.

Edit: Found it - post #75. Apologies Sneakers.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Do you really expect people to accept a small nuclear reactor sitting inside the vehicle with them?
Wasn't that long ago that people said the same thing about a tankful of volatile and highly explosive gasoline.

glhs837

Power with Control
I will respond to the part of your post that I have bolded.
My response you obviously didn't thoroughly read started with a post by Sneakers that apparently has been deleted. Maybe you should ask why that happened instead of asking me to do your homework for you.

Edit: Found it - post #75. Apologies Sneakers.

Well, for some reason, not sure how, but Sneakers ended up on my ignore list, which explains why I didn't see what you were responding to.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not always. Right now the tech is not ready for prime time, but in years to come it will supplant ICE engines. New storage tech will be found, even the possibility of a new, yet unknown power source negating the need for batteries, like a major breakthrough of portable fusion, which would also negate the fossil fuel needed for manufacturing.

And he's back. :)

PeoplesElbow

I think that's what we put on the sons project XJ project. Good tires. I always look at them, but generally there's one attribute I'm after that precludes them. Not always the same one, as I weight things differently for each vehicles purpose. The beater 2001 BMW that cost $1500 bucks? Cost and life. The 98 328 convertible, trade some life for handling, winter capability not required :)
:yay:

Having a good friend that puts on thousands of tires a year that tells me things like "those tires are over priced, I recommend these ones instead" goes a long way. His advertised prices include mounting balancing etc too.