Charity Walks

SoccerMom2

I really want to get involved and do some of the walks. Does anyone know when some are coming up? It is good exercise and a good cause.

watercolor

yeah yeah
I really want to get involved and do some of the walks. Does anyone know when some are coming up? It is good exercise and a good cause.

Relay for Life is coming up. There is also the Claudia Rose Asthma walk that happens. Talk to Camily about that. She will guide you where to sign up. Those walks are local to the area

You could also join a team for the Avon Walk. :D Check out our site Thanks for the Mammaries and see if that interests you. This one is held in DC.

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
It all depends on where you heart lies. What I mean by that - is what is your passion? If you have a passion to fight cancer- then the relay for life is good- if breast cancer is something you are passionate about fighting, then the Avon walk. If you are passionate about helping survive a young girls legacy with helping other children battle the fight against asthma and other respiratory ailments then I would suggest the Claudia Rose foundation.

There is also the March of Dimes 5 mile walks that happen. Check them out too! I know one that happens in VA Beach that I have participated in.

SoccerMom2

It all depends on where you heart lies. What I mean by that - is what is your passion? If you have a passion to fight cancer- then the relay for life is good- if breast cancer is something you are passionate about fighting, then the Avon walk. If you are passionate about helping survive a young girls legacy with helping other children battle the fight against asthma and other respiratory ailments then I would suggest the Claudia Rose foundation.

There is also the March of Dimes 5 mile walks that happen. Check them out too! I know one that happens in VA Beach that I have participated in.

I'm from Va Beach and i am doing the Alzheimer Walk. I have to many passions. I have family members who have breast cancer, asthma, abuse just lots of thing. I just think it is a good way to get out and support everyone. A good family outing.

watercolor

yeah yeah
I'm from Va Beach and i am doing the Alzheimer Walk. I have to many passions. I have family members who have breast cancer, asthma, abuse just lots of thing. I just think it is a good way to get out and support everyone. A good family outing.

It is. And I am sorry your family has all those ailments. All of them suck and need to be banished. However, remember to check the requirements on the walks. Like I know for the MOD they allow people to bring their babies and strollers (obvious reasons).. .however, one like the Avon Walk, you have to be 18+ to participate. So no kids. I think that the RFL lets kids get involved. And I am not sure about the Claudia Rose foundation ... but like I said- talk to Camily.. she will point you in the direction of where to go for that one. I thought there was a Alzheimer walk in LaPlata called Memory Walk or something. See if you can find something on that.

If you have facebook- I know that the Claudia Rose foundation has a facebook.

camily

Peace
It is. And I am sorry your family has all those ailments. All of them suck and need to be banished. However, remember to check the requirements on the walks. Like I know for the MOD they allow people to bring their babies and strollers (obvious reasons).. .however, one like the Avon Walk, you have to be 18+ to participate. So no kids. I think that the RFL lets kids get involved. And I am not sure about the Claudia Rose foundation ... but like I said- talk to Camily.. she will point you in the direction of where to go for that one. I thought there was a Alzheimer walk in LaPlata called Memory Walk or something. See if you can find something on that.

If you have facebook- I know that the Claudia Rose foundation has a facebook.

Thank you so much!!:huggy:

Rhiannon

I always do Relay for Life. You can find a walk near you by going to the American Cancer Society's website and there is an option to put in your city and it will bring up all the ones close to you.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I always do Relay for Life. You can find a walk near you by going to the American Cancer Society's website and there is an option to put in your city and it will bring up all the ones close to you.

Can you explain Relay for Life? Do you need to raise money for that? I have been looking at the walk in DC in October.. it's 3 days and 60 miles. But you have to raise $2300 per person.

lbreder

2into4
Im doing the Alzheimers walk which is held in Solomons. I am registered to do the Avon Breast Cancer walk. The girl I was suspose to walk with all of a sudden dropped out on me. I NEED to do this walk and finish raising this money. Its frustrating when I am walking for a purpose and my team mate drops on me. I know this Avon walk is coming real soon and it holds close to my heart.

Rhiannon

Can you explain Relay for Life? Do you need to raise money for that? I have been looking at the walk in DC in October.. it's 3 days and 60 miles. But you have to raise $2300 per person.

The Relay for Life is a walk/run that benefits the American Cancer Society. The event lasts for 24hrs. There is generally a theme every year and if you are walking with a team, your team can decorate a tent based on the theme and win prizes and such. If you are with a team, the goal is to have at least one team member on the track at all times either walking or running for every hour of the 24hrs. People spend the night during the event. There is music, food, etc. You do not have to be on a team to walk. I have done it both ways...through my employer who usually had a team and I would sign up for a spot to walk...generally I would sign up for a late hour...2a-4am...to fill spots that others were not taking. As a team we would raise money for the ACS through raffles or etc.

Last year was my first year walking here in MD as I had just moved here, so I walked by myself. I just showed up at the event and started walking. You do not have to pay to join, but you can make donations. I bought a luminare (spelling?) in memory of my grandmother who passed away a year and half ago from breast cancer. They light them and set them out along the track with the name on it and 'in honor of, or 'in memory of'.

I walked the relay for life that was held in La Plata. I think it was in June of last year.

Here is a link that might help you a little more:
ACS :: Relay For Life

Rhiannon

Im doing the Alzheimers walk which is held in Solomons. I am registered to do the Avon Breast Cancer walk. The girl I was suspose to walk with all of a sudden dropped out on me. I NEED to do this walk and finish raising this money. Its frustrating when I am walking for a purpose and my team mate drops on me. I know this Avon walk is coming real soon and it holds close to my heart.

I would love to do this walk. How have you raised the money? The money portion is what scares me a little...raising that much. Did you find it difficult or easier than you thought to reach the amount?

lbreder

2into4
I would love to do this walk. How have you raised the money? The money portion is what scares me a little...raising that much. Did you find it difficult or easier than you thought to reach the amount?

Money for which walk? The Alzheimers isnt a set amount and the Avon walk I havent raised all my money, but I havent given up just sad my friend has.