Charles County approves plastic straw ban

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No kidding.
https://www.southernmarylandchronic...unty-commissioners-approve-plastic-straw-ban/

At the October 23, 2018 Charles County Commissioners meeting, the Commissioners approved legislation that bans plastic drinking straws and stirrers in ALL Charles County restaurants and businesses.

The legislation will take effect on July 1, 2020, but was amended to delay enforcement until July 1, 2021, and reduced the fine to $150. The original penalty was to be a $250 fine for each infraction.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I heard on TWC this morning that Delta Airlines is replacing plastic straws and stirrers with ones made from bamboo and birch wood.

Chris0nllyn

Charles County resident Brian Grumbine said,” I gotta be honest. At first, I laughed and shook my head. But Green Turtle in La Plata has these hard cardboard straws that were just as effective. So if its safer and affordable, why not?”
Good lord, Brian. "Safer"? Are people poking their eyes out or something?

black dog

Free America
Thank God, I wonder how long it will take for those plastic straw islands in the Chesapeake to biodgrade and are no longer a marine hazzard.

luvmygdaughters

Uh:confused: Doesn't the tri county area have more important things to worry about, like, gee, I don't know...say, murders in St. Charles, opiate users overdosing in drive-thru's, shootings in LP? Are they going to hire straw police to make rounds, like they do with under age cadets??

black dog

Free America
Uh:confused: Doesn't the tri county area have more important things to worry about, like, gee, I don't know...say, murders in St. Charles, opiate users overdosing in drive-thru's, shootings in LP? Are they going to hire straw police to make rounds, like they do with under age cadets??

Charge up the Segways,
The mall cops in the Waldorf Mall food court will be busy...

steppinthrax

From looking at this on a "deeper" view. If they ban plastic straws what will happen next. Restaurants will resort to using "wax paper" straws (as what others have said). Or none at all, or people will buy stainless steel straws to carry with them everywhere. Then you have to consider if the pollution from the production of those paper straws are being moved to the factories and industries making them. The trees being cut down to produce these straws. So the effect might actually be worse than simple plastic straws. Then you consider the the additional costs in the production of stainless steel straws, cleaning the straw. Those who are dumb and don't clean it leading to getting sick etc...

So the big question is would there actually be a "true" environmental benefit. Or are we just shifting the environmental damage to another area, possibly worse?

black dog

Free America
From looking at this on a "deeper" view. If they ban plastic straws what will happen next. Restaurants will resort to using "wax paper" straws (as what others have said). Or none at all, or people will buy stainless steel straws to carry with them everywhere. Then you have to consider if the pollution from the production of those paper straws are being moved to the factories and industries making them. The trees being cut down to produce these straws. So the effect might actually be worse than simple plastic straws. Then you consider the the additional costs in the production of stainless steel straws, cleaning the straw. Those who are dumb and don't clean it leading to getting sick etc...

So the big question is would there actually be a "true" environmental benefit. Or are we just shifting the environmental damage to another area, possibly worse?

Because we are willing to spend a few hundred million to save one more turtle..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thank God, I wonder how long it will take for those plastic straw islands in the Chesapeake to biodgrade and are no longer a marine hazzard.

A long time, I hope. I've struck a flag on one and am claiming it as sovereign territory. "Gilligan's Island"...has a familiar ring to it.