Charles County approves plastic straw ban

steppinthrax

Because we are willing to spend a few hundred million to save one more turtle..

It goes way beyond this. Plastic is forever, almost never breaks down completely. It eventually turns into microplastics. Paper is a different story. Now, if they can responsibility replace plastic with paper/other material straw and show that we are not shifting the environmental impact. Then I think we have something.

black dog

Free America
A long time, I hope. I've struck a flag on one and am claiming it as sovereign territory. "Gilligan's Island"...has a familiar ring to it.

I think that's the one that we ran aground on avoiding the tank a few years back...
Honda lower units are expensive...

black dog

Free America
It goes way beyond this. Plastic is forever, almost never breaks down completely. It eventually turns into microplastics. Paper is a different story. Now, if they can responsibility replace plastic with paper/other material straw and show that we are not shifting the environmental impact. Then I think we have something.

You might want to see what happens to paper in a landfill. Not alot...

Straws are a waste of time, go back to packaging of the 60's when possible and do single stream recycling before anything goes into a landfill..
There is no recycling where I live.. The funny part is not to many miles away is a Owens Brockway glass bottle plant in Lapel,IN and recycled glass is trucked in from other larger city's to feed this plant. Our eagles looked into saving glass beer bottles and I believe it paid about 14 bucks a ton. We used to save aluminum cans behind the bar, we had two can crushers and the custodian bagged them up and a few times a year we would cash them in at the local yard. Lots of work for a few hundred a year. Now a older woman that doesn't have alot picks them up each day and she gets the money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I actually don't care about plastic straw bans as long as I have a straw of some sort. I just don't see the point other than feel-good legislation, which I am opposed to. As has been pointed out, plastic water bottles, beverage jugs, and drink tops make more plastic waste than straws do. I suppose you gotta start somewhere, but straw bans seem to be a fad rather than a real solution.

steppinthrax

You might want to see what happens to paper in a landfill. Not alot...

Straws are a waste of time, go back to packaging of the 60's when possible and do single stream recycling before anything goes into a landfill..
There is no recycling where I live.. The funny part is not to many miles away is a Owens Brockway glass bottle plant in Lapel,IN and recycled glass is trucked in from other larger city's to feed this plant. Our eagles looked into saving glass beer bottles and I believe it paid about 14 bucks a ton. We used to save aluminum cans behind the bar, we had two can crushers and the custodian bagged them up and a few times a year we would cash them in at the local yard. Lots of work for a few hundred a year. Now a older woman that doesn't have alot picks them up each day and she gets the money.

Paper decomposes in a landfill. Now, if it's coated with plastic, maybe not.

nutz

11C9E057-A7D2-46CA-BA7F-957EC589EE45.jpeg

Courtesy of Mike Rowe

black dog

Free America
Paper decomposes in a landfill. Now, if it's coated with plastic, maybe not.

Paper is one of the largest volume products that get put in landfills, it's tough to biodgrade when things get sealed in and don't get air,water and sunlight to speedup the process.
Do a test, read your Sunday paper and flod it back up and bury it under 6" of soil in your back yard and look at it in a year.
Next to it bury a glossy national geographic magazine the same way and see how long it takes to biodgrade.

Single stream recycling ends the sillyness of folks having multiple plastic boxes deal with, who wants to wash out glass, metal and aluminum cans and drag a few boxes to the curb each week..when it all can be collected with a trash truck and dropped off and get sorted before what's left going into the dump.
It's a waste of commoditys that we just carelessly put in the landfill..
We should be like the lead acid battery world, almost 100% recycled.

Last edited:

softtouch

Pretty much nothing biodegrades in land fills. Excavations have dug up 30 year old phone books that are still perfectly legible.