Charlotte, NC

Blondie76

A friend of mine is thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC. Can anyone give some input about the area - places to avoid, best places to live, etc.

TIA :smile:

Jameo

What?!
Blondie76 said:
A friend of mine is thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC. Can anyone give some input about the area - places to avoid, best places to live, etc.

:howdy: Are you married yet?

rdkarob

Blondie76 said:

Mooresville which is North of Charlotte, nice area, near Lowes Motorspeedway, this is where Jr. was raised!!!!

or Indian Trail - I think - which is south of Charlotte.

Stay away from High Point, or just move to Waldorf

Boxdyn

Blondie76 said:

My parents live in Mint Hill, right outside of Charlotte. Very nice there or in Mathews. Monroe is about 30-45 minutes away but is turning into a not so nice area, at least in the city limits.

Blondie76

Boxdyn said:
My parents live in Mint Hill, right outside of Charlotte. Very nice there or in Mathews. Monroe is about 30-45 minutes away but is turning into a not so nice area, at least in the city limits.

Know anything about the Ballantyne area?

Blondie76

Richard Cranium said:
Charlotte is a ####hole. It's basically a 150,000 person trailor park.

Hmmm....ok. Well I will tell her to keep a look out for those trailer parks and see if it's as bad as you say.

Blondie76 said:

Ask Crabcake where she lives, I believe it is by Charlotte. Locate her answer on a map. Avoid that area like the plague.

queencity28

I currently live in Charlotte. It's different from Southern Maryland, but it's nice. Charlotte has a fairly small downtown area, but encompasses a large area. There are different areas of Charlotte.

I live in the "University" area which is right by UNCC. It is the north east part of Charlotte. There is a Verizon Pavillion where big name concerts are held all summer, sports bars catering to the College crowd, and decent homes for the money. It's a good area; crime's not too bad. But keep in mind, it is a city, and it is a southern city. Crime in the southeast has been on the rise lately.

I work in the Southwest part of Charlotte near the recently imploded Coliseum (charlotte hornet's old home). This area is also pretty nice. They are bringing to life a "light rail" soon, so this area down here is definitely growing. The border of SC is right down the way, about 10 miles south or so. There is a beautiful lake, Lake Wylie, on the border. Many nice homes out that way and I've heard the schools on this side of the city are good as well.

The Central North, West, and East sides of Charlotte are the roughest. The Center North being the worst. Definitely some areas to avoid traveling at night. But all in all, I'm happy I made the move. More diversity, more culture, more night life, better schools, lower cost of living, affordable housing..... It's a growing city, but if you are into the arts, this is a good place. I'd be happy to give you any more information if you need it.

Oh and the car insurance here rocks. I pay about $60 less a month than I did in maryland. The drawback is you have to pay annual car taxes.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Queencity,

I know that Fantasia (Amer Idol) is from High Point and she bought a house near her hometown. She is currently in NY performing on Broadway, but have you gone by to see her house in person? What's the neighborhood like that she lives in? It might be Mekhleburg <sp>. Also, how is the job market in Charlotte, active, slow...

Thanks! :flowers:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
LexiGirl75 said:
Queencity,

I know that Fantasia (Amer Idol) is from High Point and she bought a house near her hometown. She is currently in NY performing on Broadway, but have you gone by to see her house in person? What's the neighborhood like that she lives in? It might be Mekhleburg <sp>. Also, how is the job market in Charlotte, active, slow...

Thanks! :flowers:

It is Mecklenburg County, which is the county Charlotte along with several other little towns lie in. Charlotte is a nice area especially for young adults. Grerat night life and plenty of jobs. Several federal agencies down there as well as some large corporate headquarters. Schools are good. There are several small towns both south and north of Charlotte that are great for raising families and the house prices are great. Carbarrus County which borders Mecklenburg is growing fast also. Lots of people moving there and commuting to Charlotte. I have family in Huntersville (Mecklenburg Co.) and they love it.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
carolinagirl said:
It is Mecklenburg County, which is the county Charlotte along with several other little towns lie in. Charlotte is a nice area especially for young adults. Grerat night life and plenty of jobs. Several federal agencies down there as well as some large corporate headquarters. Schools are good. There are several small towns both south and north of Charlotte that are great for raising families and the house prices are great. Carbarrus County which borders Mecklenburg is growing fast also. Lots of people moving there and commuting to Charlotte. I have family in Huntersville (Mecklenburg Co.) and they love it.

I keep hearing good things about Charlotte and Raleigh. Durham is the only one people caution against all the way around. Thanks for your insight. :flowers:

queencity28

Hey Lexi, Carolina Girl pretty much said it all. The main industry here is the financial sector. Charlotte is home to Bank of America and Wachovia has a huge center here. Call center jobs are very big around here too - customer service. I'm not sure about Fantasia's house because I'm really not a big fan. But if she is in the Ballantyne area, that's the "big money" area. Kind of reminds me of the houses out in McLean....the "McMansion" type of developments.

For those with banking or securities experience, the job market is hot. For production.....not a good time, as many area plants are closing. The nearby Philip Morris plant being one of them. Check out careerbuilder.com and charlotte.craigslist.org for jobs so you can get an idea of what area companies are looking for.