http://www.viagen.com/en/news/scamper/

Top Barrel Racing Champion Horse "Scamper" Cloned
ViaGen Reproduces the Horse That Made Charmayne James Famous

Video
Photographs
Telephonic Press Conference
Equine Cloning FAQ
Charmayne James and Scamper

Austin, Texas (November 15, 2006)--Scamper, the legendary barrel racing horse owned by rodeo star Charmayne James, now has a young twin thanks to cloning company ViaGen. ViaGen and James announced today that Scamper's clone Clayton was born in Texas on August 8 of this year.

James says she named the foal after her childhood home town of Clayton, New Mexico, where she met Scamper when she was 11 years old. Though Scamper was considered unrideable, James and her father admired the horse's conformation, or physical form, so her father bought him from a cowboy who worked on his feedlot.

James trained Scamper, and in 1984 at age 14 she rode him to win the World Championship in Barrel Racing. The pair went on to win the next nine World Championships, making James the all-time leading money earner in Barrel Racing, the first million dollar cowgirl, and the holder of more world championships than any other woman in professional sports.

This year, James decided to clone the 29-year-old horse in order to continue to use his exceptional genetics in her breeding program. She hired ViaGen, the Austin, Texas-based world leader in animal cloning, to do the cloning work. A few months later Clayton was born in Boerne, Texas.

"If there was ever a horse to be cloned, Scamper's the one," said James. "The baby looks so much like Scamper, conformation-wise. He's so balanced, he's got the same shoulder, the same bright eye. I'm happy I had Scamper cloned and I'm so happy with the results."

"We were honored but not surprised that Charmayne would seek to clone Scamper," said ViaGen President Mark Walton. "Horse breeders increasingly recognize that cloning is an excellent tool for maximizing the value of their best genetics."

Cloning produces a later-born identical twin, thereby preserving and multiplying the genetics of superior animals. Many horse breeders, who already use assisted reproductive techniques such as in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer, view cloning as the next step in breeding.

The technology can be used to produce stallions from the genes of top-performing geldings, or to produce duplicates of popular stallions so that their owners can keep up with demand for semen, embryos and offspring.

ViaGen also offers a gene banking service, which enables people to preserve the genes of exceptional animals for possible later use in cloning, or as insurance against unexpected injury or loss.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
o wow that is so cool! the worlds gonna have some good compition in barrel racing in 2 or 3 years... Wow i didnt think scamper was still alive, and hes 29! thanks for the artical its interesting!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Old :smack:

Pasofever said:
http://www.viagen.com/en/news/scamper/

Video
Photographs
Telephonic Press Conference
Equine Cloning FAQ
Charmayne James and Scamper

Austin, Texas (November 15, 2006)--Scamper, the legendary barrel racing horse owned by rodeo star Charmayne James, now has a young twin thanks to cloning company ViaGen. ViaGen and James announced today that Scamper's clone Clayton was born in Texas on August 8 of this year.

James says she named the foal after her childhood home town of Clayton, New Mexico, where she met Scamper when she was 11 years old. Though Scamper was considered unrideable, James and her father admired the horse's conformation, or physical form, so her father bought him from a cowboy who worked on his feedlot.

James trained Scamper, and in 1984 at age 14 she rode him to win the World Championship in Barrel Racing. The pair went on to win the next nine World Championships, making James the all-time leading money earner in Barrel Racing, the first million dollar cowgirl, and the holder of more world championships than any other woman in professional sports.

This year, James decided to clone the 29-year-old horse in order to continue to use his exceptional genetics in her breeding program. She hired ViaGen, the Austin, Texas-based world leader in animal cloning, to do the cloning work. A few months later Clayton was born in Boerne, Texas.

"If there was ever a horse to be cloned, Scamper's the one," said James. "The baby looks so much like Scamper, conformation-wise. He's so balanced, he's got the same shoulder, the same bright eye. I'm happy I had Scamper cloned and I'm so happy with the results."

"We were honored but not surprised that Charmayne would seek to clone Scamper," said ViaGen President Mark Walton. "Horse breeders increasingly recognize that cloning is an excellent tool for maximizing the value of their best genetics."

Cloning produces a later-born identical twin, thereby preserving and multiplying the genetics of superior animals. Many horse breeders, who already use assisted reproductive techniques such as in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer, view cloning as the next step in breeding.

The technology can be used to produce stallions from the genes of top-performing geldings, or to produce duplicates of popular stallions so that their owners can keep up with demand for semen, embryos and offspring.

ViaGen also offers a gene banking service, which enables people to preserve the genes of exceptional animals for possible later use in cloning, or as insurance against unexpected injury or loss.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Pasofever said:
Yeah and it only cost her $150,000 grand to do the cloning :yikes:
The thing about cloning is that it may produce an exact specimen but if Clayton does not have the heart to do the job he may not be the champion that Scamper was. It will be interesting as time goes on to see how he does at barrel racing. He is a awesome looking colt and I wonder if they will be able to register him?

mingiz

Horse Poor
mygoldnhorse said:
Yeah and it only cost her $150,000 grand to do the cloning :yikes:
The thing about cloning is that it may produce an exact specimen but if Clayton does not have the heart to do the job he may not be the champion that Scamper was. It will be interesting as time goes on to see how he does at barrel racing. He is a awesome looking colt and I wonder if they will be able to register him?

:yeahthat: