Chase DISAdvantage

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, here's my problem:

For about 4 years now I've been receiving a credit card statement for a card I never applied for nor have I ever used. I have tried calling them numerous times, only to get the electronic runaround with no option to talk to a human. I have also written numerous letters asking them to cancel the account and remove my $20 annual fee charge. Still, the statements show up in the mail every month.

So today I got another statement. I called AGAIN and FINALLY got connected with a human. She says I can't cancel the account until I pay the outstanding annual fees, totalling $100. I explained to her that not only does my statement say $20, but I have tried innumerable times to cancel this account. She basically said, "Too bad."

Then she asked me the closing date on my latest statement and, when I told her, she said, "That can't be - we haven't sent those statements out yet." I replied, "Well, I'm sitting here looking at it." She maintained that what I was saying couldn't be true. Then she said, "Well, that must be a misprint." Then I got ####ed.

I'm like, "Yeah, babe, the whole account is a misprint! One that YOU people are responsible for considering I never applied for this account, have never used it and have tried to cancel it at least a dozen times."

So now what? Should I contact a lawyer?

:burning:

Pete

Repete
Send a letter to the Maryland Attorney General. They should have a fraud department. CC Chase's fraud department. Demand a copy of the "Agreement of Terms" that has your signature. Enclose in the CC to Chase that if they don't close the account and remove any mention of it on your credit report you are going to file a civil suit.

Another tactic is to write the letter to the AG but don't send it, just send the copy to Chase, like you really sent it. This should get some action.

Ponytail

I actually had similar problems with a Chase card while I was in college. I got out, and they keep sending me stuff and calling me trying to talk me into starting my account again...10 years later!

Anymore, I read the fine print on ALL cards and loans that I get, to make sure that Chase Bank, or Chase Manhattan Bank is NOT the lender.

Pete's got the right idea if the "insane female" tactics don't work.

I'd try calling one more time, and upon getting a human on the phone, IMMEDIATELY ask for that persons superior/manager.

pilot

Originally posted by Ponytail
I'd try calling one more time, and upon getting a human on the phone, IMMEDIATELY ask for that persons superior/manager.

I would definitely do this. I usually will say, "I'm having a major problem with my account, and I would like to talk to a supervisor." Then, if you have any other accounts with them, I would threaten to close out the account and let them know that you're thinking of contacting a lawyer. That should get them moving!

It's hard to believe that the credit card company is deliberately trying to cheat you, it sounds to me like classic bureacratic incompetence where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. We should all know how to deal with these problems!

pilot

Originally posted by vraiblonde
It just torks me off that I have to waste my time dealing with their incompetence.
:banghead:

Agreed. Service really has gotten bad lately. We lost our telephone service during the hurricane, so I tried calling Verizon. I could not get to a human being! Nor did they have an automated message or posting on their web site to let people know what was going on.

They really ought to have "speak to a human being" be one of the first options on the initial menu. ARRRGGG!!!