Check out verse 3.

seekeroftruth

2 Timothy 3:10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 4:1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.
6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
Once again... Paul has skipped over chapters... So, the commentary separates as it goes from chapter 3 to chapter 4.

That from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures: Continue in the things you have learned, that you have received as a heritage. This truth didn’t begin with Timothy or even with Paul, but it is part of a long heritage that was passed on to Timothy.​

From childhood means that it came to him through the influence of his grandmother and mother — Lois and Eunice, respectively. From his young childhood, they taught him.​
They will not endure sound doctrine: Timothy needed to keep focused on the Word of God because man, by his natural instinct, does not want God’s revelation. He would rather hear what he wants to hear — something to scratch his itching ears.​
Clarke on itching ears: “Endless curiosity, an insatiable desire of variety; and they get their ears tickled with the language and accent of the person, abandoning the good and faithful preacher for the fine speaker.”​
This also shows that if we do want to hear God’s word, God is doing something wonderful in us. Left to ourselves, we would rather do it our way, but God changes our heart in wonderful ways, giving us a desire for His word.​
They will heap up for themselves teachers: This reminds us that the most popular teachers are not necessarily the most faithful teachers. We shouldn’t assume a teacher is scratching itching ears just because he is popular, but neither should we assume that he is faithful to God’s Word just because he is popular.​
Take a second look at verse 3.
This time of year is hard for me. I'm not asking for your compassion... just stating a fact. Back in 1978 I made a decision that still alters my life and the lives of my children. I refused to have an abortion. I refused and I got beaten for it. I almost lost my son due to a beating... which led my OB doc to require me to get some "counseling". After my son was born, I left my first husband. January 1979 I ran with three children and the clothes on our backs. I had $5 in my pocket.

I tried to keep my kids with me. I tried to be a good mom. But I could not do it. I threatened a short man who came to turn off the electric. I knew the rent was overdue. Our Thanksgiving meal was turkey hotdogs and beans. Christmas was coming and the kids were about to become homeless. I could not work; I had no daycare.

My family didn't want me. They would take the kids... but not me. I put myself in that position and dragged the kids with me. I made my bed so I should have laid in it. The church did not approve of divorce. The church did not approve of my ex but I could not divorce him. The church said they would help me... until they found out I had three children and their father was bisexual. The bed I made was so disgusting, the church would not get involved. I had no idea until I came home from work early one day and found my husband doing what he loved best.... with a man I never met. I made my bed... I had to live with it.... and the children that resulted.... Well, I should have kept my legs together.

I fled my marriage in January 1979. My children went to live with my family and my ex on December 3, 1980. I did my best and I failed. My mom took my son to raise and my ex took my daughters. They told me that I should have listened to them. I should have left the marriage before I had children. Geeze... that's when they said... you cannot divorce.... Geeze.

I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church. I believe having children is a gift from God. I was told this as far back as I can remember.... but the church would throw me out because I UNKNOWINGLY married a man who still isn't allowed in church. I did what I was supposed to do as a wife.... then when I got pregnant... I refused to do what I KNOW is wrong.

Paul says here that Christians have to stay in the Word and stay away from those who would teach whatever the congregation wanted to hear.

I was an inconvenience to the church. I did what I was told... I married. I did what married women are supposed to do. When I got pregnant, I did what Christian women are supposed to do. And then, I was thrown to the streets with my kids because my testimony was not up to the church's standards and I embarrassed my family.

Don't listen to those who would teach something just because the congregation likes the sound of it.

Paul... there are only Two Commandments now that Jesus gave them to us.

Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul.​
Love Others as you would have them love you.​
The church has not learned the second commandment. That's a bitter pill to swallow this time of year.

Check out verse 3.

:coffee:

Last edited: