Checking Internet Options

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
We currently have DLS and after having many problems with connectivity in the past and their lack of decent customer service, we want to see what our other options are for internet.

We have Directv and would like to keep that, plus we are on a contract with them that last until next year some time.

Does anyone use satellite tv, but use Metrocast for the internet? If so, how does that work, would we have to get basic cable in order to have the internet?

If this is an option, any pros or cons?

Thanks!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I wish I had DSL back - can't get it where I am and the ONLY option is satellite internet (Hughesnet or Wild Blue are providers I know of) but Satellite Internet is slow!!!!! (although can pay EXTRA for higher speeds) AND you are limited as to upload/download also. You only want to use satellite internet as a last resort. If I had DSL or Cable available I'd go with one of those for sure.

We currently have DLS and after having many problems with connectivity in the past and their lack of decent customer service, we want to see what our other options are for internet.

We have Directv and would like to keep that, plus we are on a contract with them that last until next year some time.

Does anyone use satellite tv, but use Metrocast for the internet? If so, how does that work, would we have to get basic cable in order to have the internet?

Thanks!

mistamista

We used to have Verizon dsl. However we thought their download speed was too slow for us. Their upload speed is generally better than cable internet, but who needs fast upload at home anyway.

We upgraded to FIOS and have been happy ever since. We get the occasional hickup but it's much rarer than DSL. Also the speeds are ridiculous.

Keep in mind though there's a chance FIOS might not be around where you're at.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Metro is great for internet. Verizon was a constant hassle. I have sat tv which is ok and Verizon for phone. No land line.

Even though Metrocast has the high-speed internet market cornered for us folks down here; I will say that when the cable is working; of course, the internet is also; and I don't have any problems. I downgraded from the fastest high-speed to the slowest high-speed (THAT makes sense. You just have to read it TWICE). In doing so, I still get high-speed internet; good enough for what I do; which is just surfing. I don't need ultra-fast high speed just to play games. So, I'm pretty happy with 'em. Just don't let your bill lapse, or they'll turn you off in a heartbeat, then tell you it'll be the middle of next week before they can turn you back on.....plus the re-connect fee.....I know all about that. They did that to me a couple times.

Last edited:

Mongo53

You have satellite for cable?
Must be a really long cable.
I just switched from COMCAST to Dish Network for "TV", because in Calvert, COMCAST has changed their cable service into crappy 1990's sattellite service over the cable. Pay more for less, if you actually want some of the benefit of the digital transition, you'll just need to shell out an extra grand or two per year to get it.

Kineticist

Metrocast is AWESOME, only problem is you have to get basic cable if you want internet. I wish I could still get them, as it is now I'm stuck with Verizon for my internet, and I've never been more frustrated.

Mongo53

Yea, just about all of them offer some sort of discount for bundling multiple services together, and sure enough it always adds up to save you just a few dollars more than their competition.

If it makes you feel any better, Comcast Jacks up the price of Internet Only to the same as having basic cable and Internet. For Comcast its like $0.40 a month more to have basic cable with internet, the girl was shocked when I said I just wanted the internet, no tv, even if it only .40 extra a month.

Dish Network is just so much better than COMCAST is now, if you've got to have a STB, at least you get a good STB that is very usable, unlike COMCAST STB that are just god awful, really who does COMCAST think they are fooling, they know they can get away with providing absolute garbage because they have made their priority to go after the fools that will pay $200 a month for TV with lots of extra features and premium channels.

Mongo53

No you don't.
I have MetroCast for internet and Direct TV for TV.
I suspect MetroCast does the same as COMCAST, when you don't bundle TV with Internet, they jack up the price of internet only to just about the same as bundling Internet with their most basic TV package.

Why, well its just a pricing scheme designed to get you to turn away from the competition to them, but also, for COMCAST at least, it appears they don't bother to turn off the most basic TV service to the home anyway, so your still getting basic TV even if you do cancel and Don't pay for it. (Don't think its legal to use it, if you don't pay for it, but I think they'll have a tough time prosecuting someone that told them to turn it off and they kept deliverying it anyway. NOT that I recommend anyone do that.)

Floyd2004

-Void-
Ive had the 1.5meg Verizon DSL and I have now the 7meg Metrocast. I havent had any issues with either. Well ok Metrocast wasnt giving us 7meg for awhile, it was more like 2-3meg. After a few calls and a tech visit we have been up and running ever since.
The DSL was good but 1.5 is way too slow...Heck even 7meg Metrocast is slow.

SexiYaYa

I cancelled my Verizon DSL and landline service a couple of months ago...DSL was S-L-O-W and I never used the house phone! My answer...get a smartphone!!! I have a Droid 2 and I use it for everything...surf the web, send and receive emails, and I also use it as a wireless router for my laptop! I ~heart~ smart phones.:yahoo:

Floyd2004

-Void-
Your phone is faster than your DSL? wow that was some ####ty DSL then.
You dont need a phone line for DSL, you can just get the DSL without a phone line added on.