Cheerleader's Death Classified as Accident

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
KAANAPALI, Hawaii — A weeklong trip that was supposed to celebrate a year of hard work and success for some 500 cheerleaders began on a tragic note with the death of one of their own.

Police were investigating how a high school cheerleader invited to perform at the Hula Bowl college all-star game plunged naked to her death from a ninth-floor hotel balcony.

An initial autopsy released Wednesday showed alcohol in Lauren Crossan's system but no evidence of foul play.

Police on Tuesday arrested two men, but released them later that day and on Wednesday said the 18-year-old cheerleader's death was classified as a "miscellaneous accident."

"It just freaked us out," said Sahara Smith, 16, a dancer from St. Petersburg, Fla. "Everyone here is edgy about going on the balcony now."

Parents and cheerleaders say they are learning about the death in the newspapers and are puzzled about what happened. Although most didn't even get to meet Crossan, they say they are touched by her life and accomplishments.

"Personally, I didn't know her, but she was still part of us," said cheerleader Laura Green, 15, of Knoxville, Tenn.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,108513,00.html

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Sharon
An initial autopsy released Wednesday showed alcohol in Lauren Crossan's system but no evidence of foul play.

cheese and rice I had to do a double take! :yikes:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by justhangn
TOTAL :bs:

:shrug: I figure they got her drunker that she'd ever been and after the guys passed out, she wandered out for some fresh air and splat.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cmcdanal
:shrug: I figure they got her drunker that she'd ever been and after the guys passed out, she wandered out for some fresh air and splat.
and left her cloths behind? I don't buy it...I'd say these guys were having there way with her the balcony and she slid off.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Bimbo checks into hotel and a few hours later, parties with two complete strangers in the nude. College students are always getting drink and killing themselves in stupid ways.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by justhangn
and left her cloths behind? I don't buy it...I'd say these guys were having there way with her the balcony and she slid off.

No evidence of sexual assault. She was 18, allowed to consent. Thousands of miles from home, no parents, only a couple of people who even knew who she was, no one to judge her. She met a couple of guys and wanted to experiment with alcohol and sex, under circumstances where no one would ever know. Got drunker than she should have went outside naked, leaned over the railing too far.

I think the guys were really clueless. Why else arrest them, then let them go, even before it'd been ruled an accident. Not that they were entirely guiltless, she was too young to be drinking, afterall.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Accidents do Happen

I can some what believe that maybe they she fell off on her own. Being drunk and fearless...anything is possible.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cmcdanal
No evidence of sexual assault. She was 18, allowed to consent. Thousands of miles from home, no parents, only a couple of people who even knew who she was, no one to judge her. She met a couple of guys and wanted to experiment with alcohol and sex, under circumstances where no one would ever know. Got drunker than she should have went outside naked, leaned over the railing too far.

I think the guys were really clueless. Why else arrest them, then let them go, even before it'd been ruled an accident. Not that they were entirely guiltless, she was too young to be drinking, afterall.

We'll see what the toxicology results are.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Re: Re: Cheerleader's Death Classified as Accident

Originally posted by crabcake
cheese and rice I had to do a double take! :yikes:

That's the first thing I noticed too!

Danzig

Men Cleared In Death Of Cheerleader In Hawaii
Cheerleader Plunged From Hotel Balcony In Maui

POSTED: 1:08 p.m. EST January 15, 2004
UPDATED: 3:12 p.m. EST January 15, 2004

FOLSOM, Calif. -- Two men have been cleared of wrongdoing following the death of high school cheerleader who plunged from a hotel balcony in Hawaii.

The naked body of Lauran Crossan, 18, was found on the ground level of Maui's Hyatt Hotel early Monday. Police believe she fell from the ninth-floor balcony of the room of Erik Larson and Don Devorss Jr. -- ages 19 and 20.

The men were arrested and reportedly told investigators that Crossan was in their room when they feel asleep. When police knocked on their door hours later, Crossan's clothing was still in the room, but the two said they didn't know where she was.

Larson and Devorss were later released.

According to family, the two were in Hawaii on vacation. Crossan, an accomplished cheerleader from New Jersey, was to perform at this weekend's Hula Bowl. She did not know the men prior to meeting in Hawaii.

"It was definitely an accident and they have been released. There have been other newspaper articles that say things that aren't true and I'd appreciate it if the truth comes out. They've been released and it was an accident," Devorss' father, Don Devorss, said.

Meanwhile in Randolph, N. J., a high school is in mourning following the death of a popular and promising young athlete.

"I think we're all just helping each other out, leaning on each other. A lot of friends getting together in groups ... a lot of people have been crying all week," Randolph High School senior Sabrina Mussawar said.

Crossan's death has officially been classified as accidental, but police said they are awaiting a toxicology report to determine if any drugs were a factor.

Larson and Devorss are expected to return to northern California on Friday. They are from Folsom.

J

justhangn

3_21_crossan_lauren.jpg

The before picture.

greenbag13

Make the voices stop!!!!!
Glad it wasn't you, it would be a little tough for you to post anymore replies on this fourm, we'd all be lost!!!!