Cheney's Gay Marriage Comments Draw Fire

BuddyLee

Football addict
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), whose daughter Mary is a lesbian, drew criticism from both proponents and foes of gay marriage Tuesday after he distanced himself from President Bush (news - web sites)'s call for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

"President Bush is feeling the heat. The administration has been using gay Americans to drive a wedge into the electorate. There are millions of American families who have gay family members and friends, who are offended by the president's use of discrimination," Fisher said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040824/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_gays_4&printer=1

SmallTown

Football season!
"Freedom means freedom for everyone," he said at a campaign rally in Davenport, Iowa.

:otter:

They were right all along! There is a vast liberal conspiracy! They've managed to convince the public that Cheney was a republican, when all along he really is a democrat! And the whole halliburton thing was just a a cover to make him look more conservative!

Of course, many people have been saying all along that cheney is the smart one on the ballot.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Guess that's what happens...

...when people only attack without having a clue where their victim really stands.

Dick and Lynne have, for years, staked a position that is clearly at odds with the religious folks, on both sides of the aisle, who have a problem with homosexuality.

When you hear their own words, you'll find they are very reasoned and consistent, as always.

Sorry old news is such a shock to you.

SmallTown

Football season!
Larry Gude said:
...when people only attack without having a clue where their victim really stands.

Dick and Lynne have, for years, staked a position that is clearly at odds with the religious folks, on both sides of the aisle, who have a problem with homosexuality.

When you hear their own words, you'll find they are very reasoned and consistent, as always.

Sorry old news is such a shock to you.

Nobody is questioning Cheney, just pointing out his opposite view on a topic that Bush has really been pushing for. So you're right, his stand is old news. But since Bush's anti-gay agenda is relatively new (im terms of trying to enforce/create laws about it), it makes his stance a little more relevant.

SmallTown

Football season!
ylexot said:
Ummmm, isn't it a good thing that the Pres and VP have different opinions?

For something so important to Bush, I don't think so. This isn't about just having a different opinion, but a 180 from a principal "foundation" idea of Bush.

Had cheney opposed the war in iraq, would you say the same thing?

Steve

Enjoying life!
The reason this topic interests me is because it is a perfect example of human nature. Bush is opposed to anything homosexual because he is not homosexual, and has no family members who are homosexual. Cheney sees his daughter not so much as "a homosexual", but as simply his daughter, period. He apparently loves her and all parts of her unconditionally. What she does in her sex life should be of little concern to anyone.

It's like the McGreevey situation: regardless of what he has done as Governor of New Jersey, good or bad, all anyone can focus on now is "Oh my God! McGreevey is gay!!" Like that's the most important character trait in judging him or anyone. On the other hand, it IS starting to look like McGreevey himself made compromises to cover up his homosexuality, so he is just as culpable as those casting stones in his general direction.

ylexot

Super Genius
SmallTown said:
Had cheney opposed the war in iraq, would you say the same thing?
In the discussion of whether to go to war or not, yes, I would say the same thing. Once it is decided that we will go to war, the discussion is over and everyone needs to be behind the effort.

SmallTown

Football season!
Steve said:
The reason this topic interests me is because it is a perfect example of human nature. Bush is opposed to anything homosexual because he is not homosexual, and has no family members who are homosexual. Cheney sees his daughter not so much as "a homosexual", but as simply his daughter, period. He apparently loves her and all parts of her unconditionally. What she does in her sex life should be of little concern to anyone.

So people ARE correct when they say a rich white man can't possibly address the needs of America as a whole? After all, human nature.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hmmm...this kind of blows up the theory that Bush is merely a puppet for Cheney, doesn't it?

:killingme

Anyway, Larry's right - Cheney has been non-anti-homosexuality for as long as I can remember. Lynne Cheney got a good shot in at Cokie Roberts a long time ago in an interview because Cokie wanted to make a big deal about Cheney's daughter. Lynne was basically like, "Oh, Cokie....:tsktsk: let's not talk about my daughter's personal life" and embarrased Cokie for the gay-baiter she is. :lol:

Steve

Enjoying life!
SmallTown said:
So people ARE correct when they say a rich white man can't possibly address the needs of America as a whole? After all, human nature.

That's right, he can't. Which is why Kerry should not be elected.

Net worth:

Kerry 168 million (>1 billion if you count his wife) check it
Bush 18 million check it

SmallTown

Football season!
Steve said:
That's right, he can't. Which is why Kerry should not be elected.

Net worth:

Kerry 168 million (>1 billion if you count his wife) check it
Bush 18 million check it

This isn't a Bush Vs. Kerry discussion, but I'm glad to see that you agree that Bush isn't fit to be president.

ylexot

Super Genius
SmallTown said:
Actually, that has nothing to do with being rich or white. No person on earth can know all the needs of all the people in America. It just isn't possible. It's also impossible for anyone to meet the needs of everyone because people's needs conflict with each other. That's why we have discussions, weigh options, and make decisions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
I think you're right about this. :shocker: Since most of us aren't rich, some guy dividing his time between 5 different mansions can't possibly understand our lives.

SmallTown

Football season!
ylexot said:
Actually, that has nothing to do with being rich or white. No person on earth can know all the needs of all the people in America. It just isn't possible. It's also impossible for anyone to meet the needs of everyone because people's needs conflict with each other. That's why we have discussions, weigh options, and make decisions.

But the argument earlier was that since Bush has no personal connection with gays, he feels amendments banning gay marriage is the way to go. If this mentality spreads throughout the "knowledge base" of Bush, I can only imagine what will come up next.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That would be one way of putting it...

anti-gay agenda

Anti homosexual marriage would be more accurate.

Homosexual marriage is a rather superfluous issue of the day and I do fault Bush for supporting a Constitutional Amendment. The Constitution, absent prohibition, is, to me, about guaranteeing rights, not limiting them.

Kerry and his Catholic faith is another issue and abortion is WAY more an issue than gay marriage. Not one single prominant Democrat is allowed to speak a WORD of aposty (pro life) in regards to this issue.

So, kudos, can we agree, about the open, big tent of the GOP?

:cheers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SmallTown said:
But the argument earlier was that since Bush has no personal connection with gays

I don't think that's why he wants to stop gay marriage. I think it's partly his beliefs, and partly a political move to curry favor with fundamentalist Christian voters. That last part is another form of gay-baiting, the flip side of what Cokie Roberts was doing with Lynne Chaney.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
he feels amendments banning gay marriage is the way to go.
Bush is obviously pandering to the way-right on this. And it's safe to do that because he knows it will never pass Congress, let alone get ratified by the states.