Cherokee Nation chief says it’s time for Jeep to stop using tribe’s name

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (AP) - It is time for Jeep to stop using the Cherokee Nation's name on its Cherokee and Grand Cherokee SUVs, the chief of the Oklahoma-based tribe said.

Chief Chuck Hoskin, Jr. said in a statement first reported by Car & Driver magazine that he believes corporations and sports teams should stop using Native American names, images and mascots as nicknames or on their products.

"I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Hoskin said.

Kristin Starnes, a spokeswoman for Jeep’s parent company, Amsterdam-based Stellantis, said in a statement that the vehicle name was carefully selected "and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess and pride." She didn't say whether the company was considering renaming the vehicles and didn't immediately reply to an email requesting that information.

Cherokee Nation chief says it’s time for Jeep to stop using tribe’s name (fox5dc.com)

So even using a name is offensive. 🤦‍♀️

Hijinx

Bwahahahhaa The law of unintended consequences.

It started with the Redskins and now it is going Viral.
Watch out Chopticon Braves and maybe even Chaptico.

Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Bwahahahhaa The law of unintended consequences.

It started with the Redskins and now it is going Viral.
Watch out Chopticon Braves and maybe even Chaptico.
All along the east coast from here to Maine, there are an incredible number of Indian named towns. Long Island still has the Shinnecock tribe and many towns with Indian names. Can't imagine entire areas being renamed. I also find it pretty crappy that these Indian nations that ARE doing really well don't extend a hand to any of their "brothers" who are struggling.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Other than every Nancy in the nation jumping up and down?

When we're jumping up and down they seem able to ignore us just fine. I don't remember any time when I've thrown a fit and gotten my way. Maybe because I don't bust out windows and assault people.....perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong.......

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When we're jumping up and down they seem able to ignore us just fine. I don't remember any time when I've thrown a fit and gotten my way. Maybe because I don't bust out windows and assault people.....perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong.......
Sounds to me like your ri ... er ah 'peaceful protest' game is pretty weak then.

black dog

Free America

Thats because you're not black, gay or other small minority.

Hijinx

Well, in fairness to the "Chief," Jeeps are rolling wrecks.
I never understood why anyone would pay the price of a jeep with no real windows no carpet on the floor and just tin rolling down the road.

Reactions: BOP

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I never understood why anyone would pay the price of a jeep with no real windows no carpet on the floor and just tin rolling down the road.
The Cherokee is actually an SUV and the older ones are easily modified because of the great after market support. If I didn't have so much time, money, and sentiment invested in my Trail Blazer, I would consider an older Cherokee.

The CJ, which I will assume you have in mind, doesn't offer much storage space and is more of a big kid's toy. Fun for day trips, but not enough cargo space for anything but a bare bones camping trip.