Cher's Twitter posts

SamSpade

Have a bernie boy nephew who keep crying that Trump is a draft dodger while his father was not drafted for the exact same reasons. Classified 1-Y plus a high lottery number.

Let's face it - Vietnam was fought by guys who couldn't get out of the draft. If you had money, influence or any kind of excuse, you didn't go.

And that meant EVERYONE in that generation who had ANY kind of influence. I had a cousin and uncle who went - the others found a way out.

Even Kerry tried every stunt imaginable - and once he was going, figured Navy was a way out of combat - and when they put him on Swift Boats, he documented every little boo-boo because they were extremely generous with Purple Hearts in that war and once you got three, you went home.

It's why we lost in Vietnam - instead of our best, we sent guys who couldn't get out of it. Kind of like the feeling when you're on trial and you realize you're going to be judged by 12 people who COULD NOT get out of jury duty.

phreddyp

Let's face it - Vietnam was fought by guys who couldn't get out of the draft. If you had money, influence or any kind of excuse, you didn't go.

And that meant EVERYONE in that generation who had ANY kind of influence. I had a cousin and uncle who went - the others found a way out.

Even Kerry tried every stunt imaginable - and once he was going, figured Navy was a way out of combat - and when they put him on Swift Boats, he documented every little boo-boo because they were extremely generous with Purple Hearts in that war and once you got three, you went home.

It's why we lost in Vietnam - instead of our best, we sent guys who couldn't get out of it. Kind of like the feeling when you're on trial and you realize you're going to be judged by 12 people who COULD NOT get out of jury duty.
O bulls**t ! We didn't lose Vietnam over not sending our best , we lost because the powers that be GAVE UP, once public opinion turned against the war the politicians and the military stopped trying to win and stopped supporting the troops . They were left hung out to dry.

SamSpade

O bulls**t ! We didn't lose Vietnam over not sending our best , we lost because the powers that be GAVE UP, once public opinion turned against the war the politicians and the military stopped trying to win and stopped supporting the troops . They were left hung out to dry.

Well I agree with that too. My Dad was too old to be drafted by that time, and he was always bitching that we didn't seem to fight to WIN that war.

You can't fight a war to contain a threat, you fight it to win. Not sending our best was a consequence of a myriad of stupid decisions. How do you fight a war with a nation when there's no objective to take their territory?

SamSpade

We were fighting in the Rice Paddy's the KGB was funding the SDS state Side

You know what gets me? For years I always thought the Tet Offensive was the VC's turning point in the war - when they suddenly won after they beat the crap out of our forces.

The truth is very much the opposite - but the way it was PORTRAYED in the States, it WAS the end - because it was told to Americans we got our asses kicked. Even the North Vietnamese were concerned they lost as much as half of all their forces.

Tech

My two older brothers were in that first draft lottery along with Trump, both recieved high lottery numbers just like Trump, meaning that they were not going to be drafted regardless of classification.
My father was relieved. My father did have some connection for WW2 draft, his father was the head of the draft board for his neighborhood. This meant that he was on the first bus out. Granddad said "If I'm sending friends and neighbors kids to war mine goes first." May have pulled some strings to get him in the navy 🤐