Chesapeake and river charts

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
What charts do you guys recommend for boating in SoMD?

Also thinking about a chartplotter/fishfinder combo. Any recommendations???

What charts do you guys recommend for boating in SoMD?

Also thinking about a chartplotter/fishfinder combo. Any recommendations???

I always just used the "Guide for Cruising Maryland Waters". I think it's put out by DNR and you can get it a Tackle Box, maybe WM, etc.
Never found a need for a chartplotter, but a fish finder is handy.

I always just used the "Guide for Cruising Maryland Waters". I think it's put out by DNR and you can get it a Tackle Box, maybe WM, etc.
Never found a need for a chartplotter, but a fish finder is handy.

I just looked at mine. It was published in '93. Think it's still ok to use ?? :lmao:

Lug, The cruising guide works very well around here. Easier than dealing with full size charts. However, if you get any of the new electronic devices, they all have uploadable charts.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
The chart plotter is a $600+ item so I figure I'll hit paper while I decide which plotter/FF I like.

I just looked at mine. It was published in '93. Think it's still ok to use ?? :lmao:

Lug, The cruising guide works very well around here. Easier than dealing with full size charts. However, if you get any of the new electronic devices, they all have uploadable charts.

It is more up to date than mine. It's the 350th anniversay edition. :killingme

1984-85

LordStanley

I know nothing
Wow, that's about 1200 "Notice to Mariners" updates behind! :lmao:

I use the standard Maryland waterway chart book that can be found at walmart, Boaters world or west marine. $59.99

Adc's Waterproof Chartbook of the Chesapeake Bay, Includes Maryland & Virginia by ADC the Map People (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

If your looking for a GPS/chart plotter. Buy it online.

The GPS Store, Inc. Garmin, Magellan, TomTom Systems and Accessories

With the new ride you picked up, I dont see you going that far out in the bay or that long of a travel where you would have to plot your course.

You may be better off with a handheld GPS or GPS/chartplotter that you can velcro to your helm.

I use the standard Maryland waterway chart book that can be found at walmart, Boaters world or west marine. $59.99

Adc's Waterproof Chartbook of the Chesapeake Bay, Includes Maryland & Virginia by ADC the Map People (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

If your looking for a GPS/chart plotter. Buy it online.

The GPS Store, Inc. Garmin, Magellan, TomTom Systems and Accessories

With the new ride you picked up, I dont see you going that far out in the bay or that long of a travel where you would have to plot your course.

You may be better off with a handheld GPS or GPS/chartplotter that you can velcro to your helm.

You're right, but its fun to play with stuff. The boaters course is interesting and helpful also.

LordStanley

I know nothing
You're right, but its fun to play with stuff. The boaters course is interesting and helpful also.

yes it is, plus If you take it, you get a lower rate on your boat insurance.

Which I suggest lugnut gets. At least some liability insurance. You never know what could happen.

-----

when I had my 19 footer, I used a small handheld GPS. Not too detailed. Gave me a track, couse and speed... (amoung other things)

When we bought the 26 and was able to travel farther and in more open water, I upgraded to a honkin GPS/chartplotter.

One of the best investments Ive ever made boating.

However, I still carry a chartbook with me. When plotting a course its easier to reference back on forth between the book and chartplotter, than just to try and use the small 5 inch screen.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!

I dunno bro, here are guys in SMALLER RIB's circumnavigating Britain... AND running them in the North Sea!!! Hmmmm...

:holdmybeerandwatchthis:

:roflmao:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ml7tIc332s&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ml7tIc332s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LordStanley

I know nothing
I dunno bro, here are guys in SMALLER RIB's circumnavigating Britain... AND running them in the North Sea!!! Hmmmm...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ml7tIc332s&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ml7tIc332s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dude, that is sweet!!!

All your missing is some SEALs, laying prone with m4's at the ready...

I say we put on the BDU's, grab the rifles and storm solomons island!!!!!

LordStanley

I know nothing
Yea, you could commandeer the Tiki Bar!! :jet:

1 year ago / In 2007, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a Good Ol boy circut court for a bar tab the didnt pay. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade (Roses) to the St Marys County underground. Today, still wanted by the Good ol boy network, they survive as solja's of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The Tard-Team.

Umm, nice footage, but a pretty typical day on Long Island Sound with a stiff north wind. Used to take my 16' v-hull out in that.

SPF001

I don't what size boat you have but I love having the chartplotter. I think it's almost a must on long trips or at night. I keep the chartbook in the cabin and will look at it during the planning stages of a trip but on the water all the shorelines look alike. Making a trip from the potomac down to CBBT/Va Beach is great with the chartplotter. Unless you get the huge screen I would stay away from combo units. Another reason is if the FF goes out you still have your GPS to go out with.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
1 year ago / In 2007, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a Good Ol boy circut court for a bar tab the didnt pay. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade (Roses) to the St Marys County underground. Today, still wanted by the Good ol boy network, they survive as solja's of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The Tard-Team.

:roflmao: Siggy!

Umm, nice footage, but a pretty typical day on Long Island Sound with a stiff north wind. Used to take my 16' v-hull out in that.

:eyebrow: You're crazy! :lmao:

:roflmao: Siggy!

:eyebrow: You're crazy! :lmao:

:shrug: Never said I was anything else ! :lmao: Should have seen us one night in the fall, 25 knot winds, 4 foot swells, another v-hull and a 16' Hobie. Took 3 of us hanging over the hull of the Hobie just to keep it from flipping over (which it did numerous times...) V-hulls couldn't catch us. Someone must have thought we were in trouble, 'cause all of a sudden there was a helicopter and search light on us! We gave him the ol' OK signal and he flew off. We were just having a grand ol' time!