Chesapeake Ranch Estates

Is this a nice community? What is the average price of home in this sub?

Thanks everyone for your help. : )

I do not live there, but do a search on "CRE" in here and you will get some ideas. :lol:

A lot of people biatch about the home owners association...

crabluver

Much history about the Ranch Club. Used to be a private community with guards. Now opened up. Almost bought a house there 18 years ago. It seems like it depends on which area, street you live on for the rest of your question; I am glad we did not buy in there to put it out bluntly...And WAY too many side streets, traffic, speeders; seems like one wrong turn and you are lost forever!!!

ladyhawk

It mainly depends on the area you live in. If you live on the main throughfares (paved roads) you be dealing with vandalism, loud cars and music and speeding. If you are a bit more "off the beaten path" you won't have most of these problems but may end up with a problem neighbor... ie..barking dogs, loud music and in some cases, drugs...

The only real issue we have is the barking dog...
I hope this helps you. You might consider a rent to buy option, that way if you don't like your neighbors, you aren't stuck with them.. But that doesn't prevent one from moving in after you do... Thats the nice thing about living in the country, don't have to deal with any of it..

June

dan0623_2000

Living in the Ranch Club

We have been in the ranch club 11 years and really like it. You are close to excellent schools and fairly good shopping. You will find that most people who speak badly about CRE do not live there. I don't know if they speak that way out of jealousy or they are just ignorant and uninformed.
CRE is more than another sub division. It is a town and like other towns it has its good sections and bad sections and they are constantly changing. The home owners fee is under $400 and that is very cheap compared to other home owners Associations. I have found the majaroity of the people that bad mouth the homeowners assocation again don't live in CRE or they have not paid their Home owners fee and they Association has taken legal action against them. If you are the type of person who will complain about things but offer solutions to the problems then please move into the neighborhood. We need more positive attitude people living here.

CREResident

Getting Lost is a Plus!

And WAY too many side streets, traffic, speeders; seems like one wrong turn and you are lost forever!!!

The good thing about that is if anyone comes into CRE to try and burglarize a house, by the time they find their way out, the police will be at the few exits to catch them!

O

ohsnoes

I've lived here full time for 10 years and I really like it. For $400 a year in dues I get 2 bay beaches available to me 24/7.

pics here www.poacre.org

CREResident

CRE -- Yes Nice!

In these forums, you will find a lot of negative posts.... that's actually a good sign... would you want to live in a community where no one cares? In CRE, a lot of members are very active and have no problem voicing concerns -- that's how things get done and get better.

I think the biggest advantages of CRE are....
A variety of homes to choose from, including some very affordable. A 100-acre size lake. OK, you shouldn't swim in it. Is there any lake in MD that you would actually swim in? I go to pools -- that's why they have chlorine in them! And the Cove Point pool-waterpark-recreation complex just 5 minutes away is WONDERFUL. Kayak/Canoe in the lake and you will spot many eagles, heron, osprey, and other waterfowl.... at the same time getting some nature, suntan, and exercise. Fish on the bay beach or drop a jetski in the water. Solomons nightlife and restaurants just 10 minutes away. Lots of nice parks nearby like Calvert Cliffs State Park and Flag Ponds. Nearby shopping. A half-decent community club house for community parties (and cheap to rent for your own party). All in all, neighbors look out for each other. My family has lived there 40 years and never a crime problem.

Schools are pretty darn good. Look at SchoolMatters - Home and compare schools with other areas of Southern MD.

Average price? there is no average. You can get a small rancher on 1/4 acre probably for under $200,000. Or there are larger homes up to about $350,000. If you want a house on the lake or Bay, the price will be a little higher. There are some very big houses on double lots (.66+ acre) that could cost up to $500,000 (if they are ever for sale, which is rare). You will find a lot of houses for sale, but that is not because people want to leave the community.... There are a lot of folks who are in Southern MD temporarily because of the military/contractor type of work and turnover is often because of job changes.

dan0623_2000

The good thing about that is if anyone comes into CRE to try and burglarize a house, by the time they find their way out, the police will be at the few exits to catch them!

We never lock our cars or the shed and have even left front door open and in the 11 years we have lived there we have not had anything stolen. I have friends that live in other areas of CRE and they are the same way, but like I said earlier It is a town and some places are good and some are bad. no matter where you chose to live, you are going to have to put up with possible bad neighbors, barking dogs, etc. This is not something unigue to CRE.
I work with many people who live in supposably the elite places and they also talk about bad neighbors, barking dogs, vandalism, etc. Allso they wouldn't think of not locking their cars and sheds.

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
We've been here since '04 and really like it. We use the beaches, paddle the lake, and occasionally camp in the campground (to get away from the teenage kids without going too far). The road crew is great at clearing the roads from snow. I've been able to get out of the neighborhood, only to get stuck on the state roads. I recommend it.

hotcoffee

In these forums, you will find a lot of negative posts.... that's actually a good sign... would you want to live in a community where no one cares? In CRE, a lot of members are very active and have no problem voicing concerns -- that's how things get done and get better.

I think the biggest advantages of CRE are....
A variety of homes to choose from, including some very affordable. A 100-acre size lake. OK, you shouldn't swim in it. Is there any lake in MD that you would actually swim in? I go to pools -- that's why they have chlorine in them! And the Cove Point pool-waterpark-recreation complex just 5 minutes away is WONDERFUL. Kayak/Canoe in the lake and you will spot many eagles, heron, osprey, and other waterfowl.... at the same time getting some nature, suntan, and exercise. Fish on the bay beach or drop a jetski in the water. Solomons nightlife and restaurants just 10 minutes away. Lots of nice parks nearby like Calvert Cliffs State Park and Flag Ponds. Nearby shopping. A half-decent community club house for community parties (and cheap to rent for your own party). All in all, neighbors look out for each other. My family has lived there 40 years and never a crime problem.

Schools are pretty darn good. Look at SchoolMatters - Home and compare schools with other areas of Southern MD.

Average price? there is no average. You can get a small rancher on 1/4 acre probably for under $200,000. Or there are larger homes up to about $350,000. If you want a house on the lake or Bay, the price will be a little higher. There are some very big houses on double lots (.66+ acre) that could cost up to $500,000 (if they are ever for sale, which is rare). You will find a lot of houses for sale, but that is not because people want to leave the community.... There are a lot of folks who are in Southern MD temporarily because of the military/contractor type of work and turnover is often because of job changes.

Very Very Well Said.... Awesome Description of our Neighborhood!:coffee:

DallasRed

I wanted to see what house are for sale in this sub..I know it is Calvert County..What is the name of the town it is in?

CREResident

Those problems are everywhere

I think these problems are everywhere. Speeding may be more dangerous on CRE roads because there are a lot of curves which impair visibility. I always drive very careful out of respect for children and people on bicycles.

It mainly depends on the area you live in. If you live on the main throughfares (paved roads) you be dealing with vandalism, loud cars and music and speeding. If you are a bit more "off the beaten path" you won't have most of these problems but may end up with a problem neighbor... ie..barking dogs, loud music and in some cases, drugs...

The only real issue we have is the barking dog...
I hope this helps you. You might consider a rent to buy option, that way if you don't like your neighbors, you aren't stuck with them.. But that doesn't prevent one from moving in after you do... Thats the nice thing about living in the country, don't have to deal with any of it..

June

BOP

I think these problems are everywhere. Speeding may be more dangerous on CRE roads because there are a lot of curves which impair visibility. I always drive very careful out of respect for children and people on bicycles.

Aren't you the idiot that wanted to raise the speed limit to 35 MPH?

CREResident

Not Me

Aren't you the idiot that wanted to raise the speed limit to 35 MPH?

No. I have fought to get a 4-way stop at an intersection that is very dangerous due to a curve and the view being obstructed by trees (and because people drive fast on Gunsmoke). I'd like to see 4 way stops and to keep speed limits low.

Last edited:

ChicagoGirl82

Much history about the Ranch Club. Used to be a private community with guards. Now opened up. Almost bought a house there 18 years ago. It seems like it depends on which area, street you live on for the rest of your question; I am glad we did not buy in there to put it out bluntly...And WAY too many side streets, traffic, speeders; seems like one wrong turn and you are lost forever!!!

It's not that bad once you know where your going....people make it out to be more difficult than it is.