Chest pain in a child?

annemayer

My 13 year old has been having bouts of severe chest pain for the past few months. She does have asthma,as well as other issues,but the asthma is the only one that would at all relate to this. Her asthma is well controlled,and she has had multiple EKG's to check for heart trouble. I've taken her to see her doctor twice over this,and each time he does an EKG,and says it's fine. It is definitely not musculoskeletal in origin,and it's not costochondritis. She also has these episodes where she says she feels suddenly like her heart is racing,and I have confirmed this - she will be sitting around,not doing anything to exert herself,and her heart will be racing - I listen with a stethoscope - faster than I can keep count. And then it is gone. I've considered a valve problem,but there is nothing on the EKG,or any "extra" sounds on the scope. But this morning,we are outside letting the dogs run around,and i see her on the ground. Knowing she is allergic to everything I was shocked she would just plop down like that and she said she was suddenly so dizzy she had to sit. Something is not right here,and I plan to get her up to Childrens to see a cardiologist - she has an appointment this week,but have any of you ever experienced this as an adult or with your own children?

annemayer

I also plan to ask the cardiologist to give her a Holter,because I belive the EKG is missing these incidents where her heart rate is very rapid - which to me explains the dizziness.

aperson

Look up Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.
Get an appointment at Children's Hospital, if you haven't already. (Sorry, edited after I re-read your entire first post. Children's is the best place to take her - Dr. Moak is an expert.)

Don't give her anything that could increase heart rate like caffeine, sudafed, etc.

Last edited: