Chevy Cobalt Comments

Madam Blue

Does any currently own a Chevy Cobalt and if so what do you think of the car? I am in the process of maybe buying a 2010 Cobalt with 800 miles and would like some feedback from current or past Cobalt owners.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't own one and wouldn't, Google "Cobalt Recall", 2010s were part of the faulty ignition switch issue.

icequeen2727

My daughter owned one (2008 model) and she loved it..would still have it had she not been involved in a serious head on collision. Car held up well in collision as she only ended up with a few bruises considering how bad the car looked after the accident (it was totaled). I would highly recommend. Great on gas, looks and even has great exceleration when needed :)

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I have Consumer Reports subsciption-

The Colbalt was crude, noisy, cramped, and uncomfortable. Interior pieces feel flimsy and fit poorly, and seating is cramped and uncomfortable. Poor crash-test results are a concern. Its 2.2-liter engine is spirited but noisy and relatively thirsty for a small car. The ride is steady, but the steering is too light at low speeds and handling isn't particularly agile. The quick and sporty SS is a different story. A turbocharger replaced its supercharger for 2008. These cars fared poorly in IIHS side-crash tests were when tested without side air bags, but rated Acceptable, with them. The Cobalt was replaced, by the greatly improved Cruze for 2011.

Overall rating- worse than average compared to cars in its class
Drive, system, suspension, squeeks & rattles, body hardware, power equipment, audio sytem and fuel system- much worse that average.
Engine, cooling, exhaust and paint- good

A 2010 with 800 miles????

Last edited:

BOP

I have Consumer Reports subsciption-

The Colbalt was crude, noisy, cramped, and uncomfortable. Interior pieces feel flimsy and fit poorly, and seating is cramped and uncomfortable. Poor crash-test results are a concern. Its 2.2-liter engine is spirited but noisy and relatively thirsty for a small car. The ride is steady, but the steering is too light at low speeds and handling isn't particularly agile. The quick and sporty SS is a different story. A turbocharger replaced its supercharger for 2008. These cars fared poorly in IIHS side-crash tests were when tested without side air bags, but rated Acceptable, with them. The Cobalt was replaced, by the greatly improved Cruze for 2011.

Overall rating- worse than average compared to cars in its class
Drive, system, suspension, squeeks & rattles, body hardware, power equipment, audio sytem and fuel system- much worse that average.
Engine, cooling, exhaust and paint- good

A 2010 with 800 miles????

I try to rent any car I'm interested in buying. Drove the Cobalt several times on travel. Pretty much like your description. I wouldn't buy one on a bet.

Oh, and ditto for the Cruze.

Madam Blue

I have read many reviews pertaining to the Cobalt. More positive than negative results. I have a friend who is a service manager at local Chevy dealer. He said the Cobalt was fairly reliable. And yes, 2010 with 808 miles. I can get the car for way less than blue book value.
Thanks IceQueen for reply.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
I own a 2007 Cobalt LS. I complete the majority of the maintenance myself. The car is mediocre, but relatively inexpensive and easy to work on. You are buying a skateboard with an engine. Keep the shocks/struts in good order and the handling is fine. For a small, economy car, it uses more gas than I think it should...I typically drive 'nice' and get around 30 MPG. The trunk opening is rather small. There have been a few recalls, but I've never had any problems.

You are buying an inexpensive, small car. You know what you are buying. Don't expect anything close to luxury.

Last edited:

warneckutz

I have read many reviews pertaining to the Cobalt. More positive than negative results. I have a friend who is a service manager at local Chevy dealer. He said the Cobalt was fairly reliable. And yes, 2010 with 808 miles. I can get the car for way less than blue book value.
Thanks IceQueen for reply.

Soooooo...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
For a small, economy car, it uses more gas than I think it should...I typically drive 'nice' and get around 30 MPG

my 1995 Saturn SC2 does that ..... on the highway I can get 40, but local commuting I average 27 / 32

glhs837

Power with Control
I own a 2007 Cobalt LS. I complete the majority of the maintenance myself. The car is mediocre, but relatively inexpensive and easy to work on. You are buying a skateboard with an engine. Keep the shocks/struts in good order and the handling is fine. For a small, economy car, it uses more gas than I think it should...I typically drive 'nice' and get around 30 MPG. The trunk opening is rather small. There have been a few recalls, but I've never had any problems.

You are buying an inexpensive, small car. You know what you are buying. Don't expect anything close to luxury.

See, I feel for equivalent money, you don't have to settle for mediocre, you could actually find an as good or better car that's interesting and fun, and just as reliable and economical. Such cars exist, you just have to know they are out there. I'm not talking turbo swapped Hondas hacked up in backyards by kids with backwards hats, bone stock factory vehicles that have a better idea that simply A to B. Not kowing a lot of details, i think we are in the 10K or so price range, given a 2010 Cobalt, 4 cylinder, stated to be well below KBB, which is in the 12K range.

Madam Blue

I am using this car as a commuter/get to work car (20 miles round trip). I don't expect much luxury from this car. I have several other cars that are in the luxury class. This is just a small car with 808 miles that I thought might be a good car for the money.

glhs837

Power with Control
I am using this car as a commuter/get to work car (20 miles round trip). I don't expect much luxury from this car. I have several other cars that are in the luxury class. This is just a small car with 808 miles that I thought might be a good car for the money.

I wasn't really speaking of luxury, more about the car just being more fun/enjoyable to be in. IMO, a commute should not be served like a penance:) I do have to say, that having such low miles might lead to it's own issues. "Time Capsule" cars are subject to their own problems, machines "like" to be used, and if they sit (and at what, 200 miles a year, that's 16 miles a month, or about 1/2 mile a day), moving parts don't move all that much, and things that break in over time never get a chance to do that. The last two cars I owned, the engines were not even properly broken in til over 2000-3000 miles.

http://classifieds.somd.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=89888&query=retrieval

A 20 mile round trip in this would be enjoyed, not endured. Taken care of, Miatas are as reliable as rocks.

this one has over 100K, but again, with proper maint, most vehicles are good for 150K or 200K easy.

http://www.parkdodgechryslerjeep.ne...us=false&showSubmit=false&showSelections=true

Just examples of what I mean by cars that make any jaunt, even a two minute hop down to the store for milk, a joy, not a chore......

Roman

Enjoy your new car!

Madam Blue

I can drive my Camaro for fun, my Lincoln for luxury, or my GMC Sierra for almost all other trips. Hopefully this little car will fill the commuter needs.

vince77

My advice, don't buy a car that the seller won't have inspected first. Offer to pay for inspection if it passes.

tercel95

This is 2014 (and even in 2010) Small cars don't have to be a penalty box anymore. There are plenty of small cars with more refinement to be had.