Chewy.com

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I agree with both of you. I have been to Pepper's a few times when I needed something in a pinch. Like when my cat was suffering constipation and needed a laxative. But I have always found the store to be hard to find stuff in. Plus I prefer shopping online as it helps to prevents impulse buying.

We haven't had kittens in 16 years so we didn't have the needed supplies and like having a newborn, things get expensive. Especially vaccines and the surgery to get them fixed. Cost cutting helps where it can be found.
I certainly don't fault you for that. Everyone has to do what's best for them.

I am close personal friends with Pepper's owner amd I want her business to survive. I am also employed with a locally owned small business and I want them to survive. Not only survive, but thrive.

It's why I eat at small, locally owned small restaurants. I want to support small business owners. THEY have an investment and a relationship with their customers and typically want to retain it. They will go above amd beyond for them.

UglyBear

Sorry, but saving a few bucks is worth it to me.
Especially when you have to fork out big bucks for vet visits.
We spent $450 on a cat yesterday.
Yep, when me and LW didn't have two cents to rub together, and our cat was in distress...

Vet visit, X-rays, some procedure, prescription -- $400 bill that I paid on CC. And then had to call my parents to loan me the bill amount as soon as we exited the vet...

No sense to it -- would be logical to put the cat down and get a new one, would have been cheaper -- but dang it, he's my little furry bastard who has a solid spot in my heart. Dang those furry f'ers hook us.
(the cat is fine -- 10 years later)

DoWhat

Oink, Oink
PREMO Member
Yep, when me and LW didn't have two cents to rub together, and our cat was in distress...

Vet visit, X-rays, some procedure, prescription -- $400 bill that I paid on CC. And then had to call my parents to loan me the bill amount as soon as we exited the vet...

No sense to it -- would be logical to put the cat down and get a new one, would have been cheaper -- but dang it, he's my little furry bastard who has a solid spot in my heart. Dang those furry f'ers hook us.
I'm not a cat person, wife is.
But I still get attached to the little bastards and I want the wife happy.

SailorGirl

Little furry bastard...:lmao:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm not a cat person, wife is.
But I still get attached to the little bastards and I want the wife happy.
I am not a cat person either. Husband and two boys are. But how can you not be smitten with any furry one (even those who hiss and run away from me :lol: )

DoWhat

Oink, Oink
PREMO Member
I am not a cat person either. Husband and two boys are. But how can you not be smitten with any furry one (even those who hiss and run away from me :lol: )
My wife will tear up when we are driving down the street and see a dead cat on the side of the road.

TPD

the poor dad
While the big box online stores do offer their stock at much lower prices - I think the personalized service iof a small business is worth a little extra money. Not to take away from any online / big box company doing great things for their customers - but now's a great time to support the locally owned businesses, I think!

Just my .02. :sshrug:
as a hardware store owner, the example I give against online shopping is our nut & bolt aisle - you can not stand in Amazon for 30 minutes trying to find the right size screw for that piece of furniture you ordered from Amazon that didn’t come with all the screws. I can not stay open just to sell a 7 cent screw to you. You do need local businesses- you just don’t realize it till they are gone.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
as a hardware store owner, the example I give against online shopping is our nut & bolt aisle - you can not stand in Amazon for 30 minutes trying to find the right size screw for that piece of furniture you ordered from Amazon that didn’t come with all the screws. I can not stay open just to sell a 7 cent screw to you. You do need local businesses- you just don’t realize it till they are gone.
I found the correct oddball spark plugs, fuel connectors, and motor flushing muffs for a 1981 Johnson 15hp. I'll have to admit that I first shopped the marine supplier within walking distance of my new workplace. This particular "marine supplier" didn't have what a local hardware store not only carried, but had multiples of each item on the shelf. So while I was there, I picked up other items that I could've bought from my friends from the last place I collected a paycheck. Now I'll have to think of another reason to drop in on them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... - you can not stand in Amazon for 30 minutes trying to find the right size screw ....

Ah yes the fond Summer Saturdays in the early 80's my Future FIL would send my GF [ his daughter ] and I off to Atlantic Auto Parts in Waldorf to get some Grade 8 9/16 SAE Bolts bolts he needed, because a cat knocked over some can and the bolts went missing

Well Robert Halft and Track Auto put paid to that and Atlantic Folded ..... Partco on 925 lasted a few yrs longer, but they were consumed by Car Quest and all the grizzled old timers that could ID a RUSTY Wheel Cylinder or know a left from right water pump for 52 Flat Head V-8 were gone

Fun Times Indeed

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Ah yes the fond Summer Saturdays in the early 80's my Future FIL would send my GF [ his daughter ] and I off to Atlantic Auto Parts in Waldorf to get some Grade 8 9/16 SAE Bolts bolts he needed, because a cat knocked over some can and the bolts went missing

Well Robert Halft and Track Auto put paid to that and Atlantic Folded ..... Partco on 925 lasted a few yrs longer, but they were consumed by Car Quest and all the grizzled old timers that could ID a RUSTY Wheel Cylinder or know a left from right water pump for 52 Flat Head V-8 were gone

Fun Times Indeed
Do you remember Buddy from Partco? His was married to my cousin whom I think I've met maybe 2 times in my entire life. He was a counter guy at Partco and I remember taking a long trip with my dad one Saturday in the early 70s to get something to fix our family cruiser from him.