Chick-Fil-A Banned From San Antonio Airport For ‘Legacy Of Anti-LGBT Behavior’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In a 6-4 vote, with one abstention, the San Antonio City Council voted March 21 to deny the chicken restaurant a spot in the terminal’s 10,000 square feet of available space, according to a report from Out In SA, the sister publication of the San Antonio Current. The restaurant was one of ten stores that was planned to inhabit the space. Paradies Lagardere, which operates numerous stores in airports and hotels in the U.S. and Canada, is the company behind the renovation of the terminal space, Out In SA reported.

“Besides Chick-Fil-A, Paradies plans to open concessions for The Luxury, Smoke Shack BBQ, Local Coffee, Boss Bagels & Coffee, Spurs, IStore, Sip Brew Bar and Market, and Adina’s Market,” the outlet wrote.

Hijinx

Why are so many people so worried about pacifying so few.
Chick Fil Et does not refuse to serve anyone who practices sex in any particular manner.
They sell sandwiches and they close on Sunday, and they are unabashedly Christian.
Why does that upset the politicians?

TCROW

I wonder why an airport would want a food establishment that's going to be closed one day a week.

BOP

I wonder why an airport would want a food establishment that's going to be closed one day a week.
That's actually a fair point, but if there are enough other choices that are open on Sunday, why would it matter? Besides, like someone said, the lines at CFA during the rest of the week would be so long that the rest of them would only be getting overflow - people who couldn't wait in line that long (perception - reality is that CFA lines move quickly).

awpitt

Main Streeter
In a 6-4 vote, with one abstention, the San Antonio City Council voted March 21 to deny the chicken restaurant a spot in the terminal’s 10,000 square feet of available space, according to a report from Out In SA, the sister publication of the San Antonio Current. The restaurant was one of ten stores that was planned to inhabit the space. Paradies Lagardere, which operates numerous stores in airports and hotels in the U.S. and Canada, is the company behind the renovation of the terminal space, Out In SA reported.

“Besides Chick-Fil-A, Paradies plans to open concessions for The Luxury, Smoke Shack BBQ, Local Coffee, Boss Bagels & Coffee, Spurs, IStore, Sip Brew Bar and Market, and Adina’s Market,” the outlet wrote.

This is what happens when a business ventures into controversial issues. Which is what Chick-Fil-a's CEO did a while back. There will be both negative and positive reactions. If a business doesn't like that, stay out of politics and just stick to what they're in the business of doing.

BOP

This is what happens when a business ventures into controversial issues. Which is what Chick-Fil-a's CEO did a while back. There will be both negative and positive reactions. If a business doesn't like that, stay out of politics and just stick to what they're in the business of doing.
It wasn't that he "ventured into controversial issues," so much as he stated his honest opinion in an interview and it went world wide. I probably would have said, or advised him to say "we do not discriminate in hiring, employment practices, or service to anyone for any reason," and would have left it at that.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
They don’t seem to be hurting business wise from it nor from closing on Sundays. Let the haters hate.....
You don’t see municipalities barring Starbucks from their airports because of their Liberal views.

awpitt

Main Streeter
It wasn't that he "ventured into controversial issues," so much as he stated his honest opinion in an interview and it went world wide. I probably would have said, or advised him to say "we do not discriminate in hiring, employment practices, or service to anyone for any reason," and would have left it at that.

When he stated his honest opinion, he brought his company into controversial issues. He should've stuck with the advice that you would've gave him.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If a business doesn't like that, stay out of politics and just stick to what they're in the business of doing.

I agree with this up to a certain point. The CEO making comments is 1 thing. A group coming to your business, knowing you have a certain stance on an issue, causing a problem is different.

Would a black baker refusing to make a KKK cake be treated different than a Christian baker not wanting to make a gay wedding cake? Fundamentally they are both refusing to provide a service because of their belief system.

Sometimes a business wades into politics. Other times politics seeks out a business to make a point.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When he stated his honest opinion, he brought his company into controversial issues. He should've stuck with the advice that you would've gave him.

So, in other words, liberal CEOs should be allowed to spout their political beliefs and go overtly activist and suffer no repercussions; conservatives better shut the hell up or they'll be targeted and destroyed?

If the People choose not to patronize a business that's one thing; when the government specifically bans a business for political purposes that is wrong and not supposed to happen in the US. I'm surprised that you defend government going after a private business like that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So, in other words, liberal CEOs should be allowed to spout their political beliefs and go overtly activist and suffer no repercussions; conservatives better shut the hell up or they'll be targeted and destroyed?

Of Course .... Starbucks CEO Virtual Signals ... Progressives / Media / Hollywood love it

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of Course .... Starbucks CEO Virtual Signals ... Progressives / Media / Hollywood love it

As far as I'm aware, no city/state/federal government has banned Starbuck's from any public property. I didn't even know the government could legally do that.

awpitt

Main Streeter

No. I never said that.

If the People choose not to patronize a business that's one thing; when the government specifically bans a business for political purposes that is wrong and not supposed to happen in the US. I'm surprised that you defend government going after a private business like that.

Actually, you make a good point here that I initially missed when I first read it. It was the City Council who banned them, a govt entity. And, you're right, they shouldn't have been banned based on political views. So, I stand corrected.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I agree with this up to a certain point. The CEO making comments is 1 thing. A group coming to your business, knowing you have a certain stance on an issue, causing a problem is different.

Totally agree.

Would a black baker refusing to make a KKK cake be treated different than a Christian baker not wanting to make a gay wedding cake? Fundamentally they are both refusing to provide a service because of their belief system.

I would hope that they would be treated the same.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, you make a good point here that I initially missed when I first read it. It was the City Council who banned them, a govt entity. And, you're right, they shouldn't have been banned based on political views. So, I stand corrected.

:yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would hope that they would be treated the same.

But the fact is that they wouldn't be. There are very few Americans who would insist that a black-owned bakery be forced to make pastries for a KKK rally, and certainly no government entity would force that. And yet Christian business owners are forced to go against their beliefs all the time.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Bottom line, government agencies shouldn't pick the winners & losers on anything other than ability to deliver a service. Yet they do it in college admissions, contracting, and employment.