Chicken Fried Steak

Lump

Looking to make this for my husbands birthday dinner. I made it once and failed terribly. Anyone have any tips or a tried and true recipe for this? What kind of steak works best?

Anything?

Auntie Biache'

I've bought several different brand of frozen chicken fried steak, and they have all been good. They usually come with a white or sausage gravy-I substitute with a brown gravy.

Lump

[
Use filet mignon. This way it will at least be tender.
I'm afraid that would be too thick and not cook all the way. That's what happened the last time. The outside was done but the steak wasn't. He likes his steak way, way well done.

Auntie Biache'

[
I'm afraid that would be too thick and not cook all the way. That's what happened the last time. The outside was done but the steak wasn't. He likes his steak way, way well done.
Just have the butcher slice them in half. I've been getting them this way to throw in the CI skillet. They cook in about 2 minutes, and come out perfect. After you get your thin slices home, just give 'em a good beatin' to make them cook like cube steak.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Sounds like whatever you used was too thick.

Like Jazz said, cubed steaks, top round is a good pick, sliced really thin.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I can't believe I'm responding to this thread - chicken fried steak makes me gag - but:

You have to pound the steak flat, which is why people usually do cube steak - because it's already pounded. You could take a NY Strip and pound it down to the right size. A chuck steak would work nicely, just remove the visible fat.

luvmygdaughters

[
Well, personally, I wouldn't spend the money for a quality piece of steak if you're going to cook it well done. How about a piece of sirloin, or, as others having suggested cube steak?

luvmygdaughters

I can't believe I'm responding to this thread - chicken fried steak makes me gag - but:

You have to pound the steak flat, which is why people usually do cube steak - because it's already pounded. You could take a NY Strip and pound it down to the right size. A chuck steak would work nicely, just remove the visible fat.
Same here, could never understand the concept of frying a steak like a damn chicken. Just doesn't sound good to me.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
All a cube steak is top round or top sirloin already mechanically tenderized i.e. "cubed."

I cube my own with a "fansy" meat tenderizer mallet as it is cheaper and you can use whatever kind of steak you want. You can get one from Walmart for about 7 bucks.

Lump

All a cube steak is top round or top sirloin already mechanically tenderized i.e. "cubed."

I cube my own with a "fansy" meat tenderizer mallet as it is cheaper and you can use whatever kind of steak you want. You can get one from Walmart for about 7 bucks.

I actually live right near a butcher shop. I have to stop tonight to get a chuck roast and I will see if they tenderize it for me. I could be very scary with a big mallet in my hand. Husband might not come home!

luvmygdaughters

My mom used to make it years ago and I do remember it being really good. The gravy is the best part!!!
When I was a kid, our next door neighbor used to make it, always smelled great when cooking, I tried it just about every time they made it and nope, couldn't do it. Of course, I like liver and onions fried with bacon, used to make that when my kids were small, they would say the same thing, smells so good but couldn't eat it. To each their own!! :buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Post bar hopping Solomon's in the 90's meant a trip to Perkins for country fried steak and over easy eggs with a side stack and milk.

Lump

Post bar hopping Solomon's in the 90's meant a trip to Perkins for country fried steak and over easy eggs with a side stack and milk.
My dad used to make the best chicken fried pork cutlets with milk gravy for breakfast. They were awesome!