Chincoteague Ponies

Robin

Will any one from this area be attending the pony round up this year? Someone that went last year said it was so packed they could not even get close to see the ponies. They plan on going down the weekend or two before just to enjoy the ponies in their enviroment do some camping.

Spudtrooper

Taking out trailer trash
Robin said:
Will any one from this area be attending the pony round up this year? Someone that went last year said it was so packed they could not even get close to see the ponies. They plan on going down the weekend or two before just to enjoy the ponies in their enviroment do some camping.
I have a friend that goes every winter. She says you see a heck of alot more ponies then.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I have been saying every year I want to go but never make it. Where exactly is it and when is the best time to go. I dont have to watch them cross, I just want to watch them be freee.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
baileydog said:
I have been saying every year I want to go but never make it. Where exactly is it and when is the best time to go. I dont have to watch them cross, I just want to watch them be freee.
It's best when the bugs are few or when there is a nice breeze coming off the ocean. I had a business trip in the fall to Chincoteague and we saw several ponies from the bike/walking trails. :howdy:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I was just there this past weekend. They are so darn cute. Lots of little ones running around too. The locals say about 50,000 people come of the pony swim and pony penning. It's NOT the best time to go. They said they are surprised this island doesn't sink! :lmao: The bugs on Assateague weren't bad at all as long as you put on bug spray. I sprayed on a little Skin So Soft and didn't get bothered at all. :yay:

Robin

Thanks Tinkerbell, that is exactly why my friend is going down early to avoid the crowds and traffic on the Island. She must have learned by past experiences too. I think I would plan a trip before the event also just to see all the little ones.

covekat

We went down to the island a few yrs ago while we were at O.C... we went to the beach, and the ponies were on the beach the whole time.. pretty cool, had to watch where you laid your blanket down though!

Robin

that sounds like such a neat experience...O.K. I have to talk the BF into a road trip...I just didn't want to go down during the pony swim and auction. I deal with enough crowds its nice not to have to deal with pushing and shoving and no where to sit and rest