Chincoteague Ponies

duchess1

Has anyone been there? If so, can you give me any information as far as where is the best place on the island to go to actually see the ponies, places to stay or other things to do, etc.? We are mostly interested in seeing the ponies. Thanks!

J

jaybeeztoo

Has anyone been there? If so, can you give me any information as far as where is the best place on the island to go to actually see the ponies, places to stay or other things to do, etc.? We are mostly interested in seeing the ponies. Thanks!

Compare Rates for Chincoteague, VA Hotels

This link showed up when I clicked on your thread. I've been many times but never saw the ponies. We went to the stable area, but they weren't there. It's a small town with beach like stores if I remember correctly. We had a great time there.

jedi2814

If you go to Chincoteague the only time to see the ponies close up is during Pony Penning the last week of July. The rest of the time they are out on the reserve and can be viewed from a distance. Virginia is very protective of their herd. Chincoteague usually is very crowded during Pony Penning, so make reservations NOW if you want a shot to be there. The rest of the summer it's a very nice place to hang out and hit the beach. We go every summer and our neighbor owns a house there. Don't bother to go to the pony swim the morning they bring them over. They have to wait for ebb tide to swim them and you can be standing in mosquito infested marshes from sun up until the swim which can be a couple of hours. It really isn't much to see. The parade afterward is cool and they corral the ponies on Assateague before they swim and at the carnival grounds on Chincoteague afterward where you can see them then.

If you go to the MD side of Assateague (near OC) you can see the ponies up close almost any time - they come looking for food. It's best NOT to feed them - they get very aggressive looking for more when you want to stop.

Hope this helps!

duchess1

Thanks for both the suggestions. We are planning on going next week. I figured that it would be very crowded during penning time and we just want to see them in their natural way. Can you give anymore detail when you said that the best place to see them is on the "Maryland side"? Thank you, thank you!

SeaRide

You can see the wild ponies on Assateague Island on the Maryland side. Take rt 611 south from rt 50 as you go to Ocean City MD. No guarrantees that you will see the ponies immediately when you get there. Check the map and you will see the MD/VA state line runs through the Assateague Island.

covekat

We've been twice to the island to see them in the wild, both times came in from OC, over the RT 50 bridge and took a left (cant remember the road) and over the bridge to the island. We saw lots of ponies, and some even came right up to the truck window!

I'm getting ready to call my condo contact to see if it's available the week of the swim, I've never been and would love to see it and the auction. I'm safe, I have a pony for each kid here!

Two yrs ago I saw a beautiful paint pony at PG... he was a bought as a baby from the pony auction. I was really impressed with him!

Last edited: