Chincoteague seafood/sights?

Blister

Taking a quickee, mini trip to Chincoteague this weekend. Never been before and would like some recommendations on restaurants, and things not to miss. Assateague and Wallops visitor center are already on the list. If anyone knows a killer seafood place I should not miss, please advise.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Taking a quickee, mini trip to Chincoteague this weekend. Never been before and would like some recommendations on restaurants, and things not to miss. Assateague and Wallops visitor center are already on the list. If anyone knows a killer seafood place I should not miss, please advise.

Bills seafood is the best food I've found on the island. AJ's on the creek is a little more upscale with a better menu, but Bill's is a little better. Ray's shanty is where the locals go for seafood especially the flounder.

http://www.billsseafoodrestaurant.com
http://www.ajsonthecreek.com
http://www.raysshanty.com

Blister

Lunch today at AJs. Very good, lunch menu reasonably priced. Oysters on the half shell, plump and fresh, much saltier than Pax/Potomac varieties. Seafood scampi, coconut shrimp and Tuscan potato soup all very good.

SamSpade

Haven't gone in years, but the suggestions given are good. We also go to The Village and we never miss the two ice cream shops.

Blister

Ate at Don's, and AJ's twice, because I wrongly assumed that the seemingly small crowd on the Island meant that we could walk in at Bill's on Saturday night. I was wrong, cuz I don't wait an hour for anyplace. Don's and AJ's were both good fresh seafood, and an excellent Delmonico steak at AJ's.
Fun off season trip, but it looks like it could be a bit too much of too many people for me during beach season.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ate at Don's, and AJ's twice, because I wrongly assumed that the seemingly small crowd on the Island meant that we could walk in at Bill's on Saturday night. I was wrong, cuz I don't wait an hour for anyplace. Don's and AJ's were both good fresh seafood, and an excellent Delmonico steak at AJ's.
Fun off season trip, but it looks like it could be a bit too much of too many people for me during beach season.
Where is a good place to stay overnight?

Blister

We stayed at Comfort Suites, not knowing anything about the area we played it safe. It was fine, quiet, indoor pool, a bit pricey. Hampton wanted a 3 night minimum. The Refuge looked pretty good and closer to Assateague. Lots of cheaper, and maybe nicer private rentals that I would have looked at closer if we were going for a week, so you don't have to eat out everyday. Several campgrounds, Tom's was recommended by a nice waitress (retiree relocated from NJ) we talked to for a bit.

SamSpade

We stayed at Comfort Suites, not knowing anything about the area we played it safe. It was fine, quiet, indoor pool, a bit pricey. Hampton wanted a 3 night minimum. The Refuge looked pretty good and closer to Assateague. Lots of cheaper, and maybe nicer private rentals that I would have looked at closer if we were going for a week, so you don't have to eat out everyday. Several campgrounds, Tom's was recommended by a nice waitress (retiree relocated from NJ) we talked to for a bit.

Comfort Suites is the ONLY place on the island we have ever stayed, but it has a history with US.

I originally planned a stay in Pocomoke for a weekend where I was going to propose to my wife. Since I booked on the internet, I had absolutely no idea what the place looked like but suffice it to say - it was beyond horrible. My wife told me she would remember it always as the worst place she had ever stayed. Fumbling with the ring in my pocket, I decided THAT was never going to happen. I told her we were going to find a place in Chincoteague.

Nothing. Until we got to Comfort Suites, who had one room available for the weekend. Accepting a price twice as high as I budgeted for - I sighed and said, good, because this weekend I'm asking my girlfriend to marry me. They smiled and said - oh - in that case - for no extra charge - they would let us use the Presidential suite for one night only. It was marvelous - fireplace, giant bathroom and robes, very large deck - heck, the *blinds* were remote control. I think the "lobby" in the room was nearly as big as our previous room was. They wished us luck on the outdoor marquis. We've always given them our business.